Which drop in air filter is best for the Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which drop in air filter is best for the Explorer

krog77

Reaction score
City, State
Brandon, Suffolk, United Kingdom
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT 4x4 & '11 XLT 4x4
Just throwing a question out. Has anyone with the new Explorer's installed a K&N air filter yet? If you have has it improved your gas mileage any?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ordered a K and N on Monday through AutoZone and picked up my 2011 Explorer XLT 4WD on Tues. I installed the filter on weds with only 300 miles on the clock. I cannot say there is a difference but I just drove 400 miles for a holiday trip. Had the A/C Cranked and was at stand still twice on highway and averaged 24.2 MPG I am very happy!

Is it much louder then stock? Most K&N filters give a more throaty sound then stock.

A K&N or other high flow filter will make more horsepower but on a mass air metered engine won't give you much in the way of better gas mileage. The computer meters fuel depending on the amount of air entering the engine and compensates for dirty air filters, high flow filters etc. One thing I found from using K&N filters on my Mustang is you will need to clean your MAF sensor periodically. The oil used on the filter will coat the heater element in the sensor over time. Especially if the filter is over oiled. The coating insulates the element and it will give false readings to the computer which, in turn, doesn't meter the fuel properly.

Just throwing a question out. Has anyone with the new Explorer's installed a K&N air filter yet? If you have has it improved your gas mileage any?

I've had one in for several months. Hard to calibrate the mileage question. Recent 2600 mile trip avg 21.8, mix of hills and loads. Last half was 22.4. Best tank was 23, ~70mph. 4WD

Around town ~17 mpg.

No sound difference I can hear.

I too havn't noticed any improved/more aggressive sound from engine. The only way you will get that is with a "Cold Air" or Short ram. K&N will probably come out with a full intake with a Cone within the next year! That will change the sound for sure! I'm really looking forward to a company coming out with a programer. I think the 3.5 has much more potential!

Looking to upgrade the air filter on the new Ex we just bought. I do a search and there showing me oval shaped filters and I know the Ex is a flat panel filter.I'am looking for a dry flow with no oil, thanks. Jeff

I've never seen a comparison of major brand air filters as far as who's best considering filtration and flow characteristics. There are mixed reviews out there about the K&N filter, which claims re-use and better flow HP....It's an oiled filter though... Good luck in your quest, and if you locate some info, please post it.....best regards Plum

www.rockauto.com

Part# FA1884 (Motorcraft original)

There is no stock replacement that is an "upgrade". Your best best is to leave the motorcraft one in there and they are cheap ($11). A K&N filter might get you some better sound if that's what you are after.

Do not buy the INJEN Cold Air Intake, its a POS.

Doesn't do what its advertised to do and when several of us tried to return it they wouldn't take it back.

As was suggested above, stay OEM.

Doesn't do what its advertised to do and when several of us tried to return it they wouldn't take it back.

True. I too am stuck with an Injen Hot Air Intake.

True. I too am stuck with an Injen Hot Air Intake.

LOL! your exactly right......I should rephrase.

Waiting for outcome from BBB complaint against INJEN

Thanks, just looking for a direct replacement not a CAI, just the filter. In my F-150 I was using AEM dry flow drop in panel filter and was able to notice better throttle response. Want the same for this, do you know if they have them for Explorer? I just need to call around. I just want to see what others are using, as paper filters are not good filters, especially if you want the engine to breathe.

Thanks, just looking for a direct replacement not a CAI, just the filter. In my F-150 I was using AEM dry flow drop in panel filter and was able to notice better throttle response. Want the same for this, do you know if they have them for Explorer? I just need to call around. I just want to see what others are using, as paper filters are not good filters, especially if you want the engine to breathe.

AEM 28-20395

Best price I could find.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ais-28-20395/overview/

I too am a fan of the AEM 'DryFlow' synthetic filters:thumbsup:

Just curious as to why you say it's a POS. Is it due to not having a heat shield. Do you have any numbers or testing. I have one on my sport. Is it's garbage I'll take it off. Just need to know why it's junk.

Just curious as to why you say it's a POS. Is it due to not having a heat shield. Do you have any numbers or testing. I have one on my sport. Is it's garbage I'll take it off. Just need to know why it's junk.

I installed the INJEN CAI on the 13 Limited I had with the 3.5L V6.

Never installed a CAI on the SPORT, and will never do it, stock air box cant be beat. Any gains are anecdotal, not factual.

There was absolutely no gain in MPG (I even think it went down) nor was there any noticeable HP gain until upwards of 4000-5000RPM. When am I driving at that RPM?

I was in communication with INJEN Customer Service, explained the issues, even asked why INJEN doesn't supply a heat shield with their version but almost everyone else's CAI has a heat shield. No response.

The drone sound was very annoying as well so I tried to return it and at first INJEN said OK there's a problem give it back to us, then they flipped and refused to take it back because I had it longer then 30 days...WTF?

Who has a 30 day return policy. Back your your product or don't be in the business.

There were two of us on here with exact some INJEN problems then I read about others on other forums as well.

I then went an spoke to an engineer who works on air intake for Ford engines, essentially he said CAI are no better then todays stock air boxes. The stock air box in a 2013 model is nothing like the old restricted air boxes.

The primary difference is sound, Ford is trying to tune out all engine noise and the aftermarket product supplier is trying to leave some noise audible to the driver.

If you go online and watch some of the comparisons (CAI vs Stock) they show you first hand the CAI are no better.

IMHO this INJEN CAI is a POS, not only because it's claims of increased MPG and HP are not factual, but because its an inferior product and they know it.

I filed a BBB complaint through Los Angeles BBB Office.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I installed the INJEN CAI on the 13 Limited I had with the 3.5L V6.

Never installed a CAI on the SPORT, and will never do it, stock air box cant be beat. Any gains are anecdotal, not factual.

There was absolutely no gain in MPG (I even think it went down) nor was there any noticeable HP gain until upwards of 4000-5000RPM. When am I driving at that RPM?

I was in communication with INJEN Customer Service, explained the issues, even asked why INJEN doesn't supply a heat shield with their version but almost everyone else's CAI has a heat shield. No response.

The drone sound was very annoying as well so I tried to return it and at first INJEN said OK there's a problem give it back to us, then they flipped and refused to take it back because I had it longer then 30 days...WTF?

Who has a 30 day return policy. Back your your product or don't be in the business.

There were two of us on here with exact some INJEN problems then I read about others on other forums as well.

I then went an spoke to an engineer who works on air intake for Ford engines, essentially he said CAI are no better then todays stock air boxes. The stock air box in a 2013 model is nothing like the old restricted air boxes.

The primary difference is sound, Ford is trying to tune out all engine noise and the aftermarket product supplier is trying to leave some noise audible to the driver.

If you go online and watch some of the comparisons (CAI vs Stock) they show you first hand the CAI are no better.

IMHO this INJEN CAI is a POS, not only because it's claims of increased MPG and HP are not factual, but because its an inferior product and they know it.

I filed a BBB complaint through Los Angeles BBB Office.

Sgt. - you are 100% right about the Injen CAI, it is a POS.

I had all the intake noise and no action, fortunately I sent mine back within 21 days and received a full refund. The refund took longer to get than the time it was installed on my Ex.

Good luck in trying to get your refund, what they claim and what is factual is pure fraud.

tinner

Back