Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

White exhaust smoke...

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2018 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by croll326, August 13, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. croll326

croll326 Active Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2013 Explorer Sport
      Just had timing chain replaced because of P0016 code. Has the water pump done at the same time. A week later I smell hot
      Coolant in my garage. Hmm? Coolant is a little low too. Next day my vehicle is blowing white smoke from the exhaust.

2013 ex sport. 93k miles

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. chapsdeva

chapsdeva Active Member

City, State:
      Richmond, Va
      2015 Limited
      I would stop driving it and take it back to the shop that did your work. White smoke means coolant is getting into the combustion chamber and with that and your other symptoms coming right after they did the water pump my guess is something wasn't done correctly.

4. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Now a week later white smoke coming from exhaust. ???[/QUOTE]
      I looked it up on the Internet and if it is continuous it may not be a good sign. There are several items on that issue ranging from minor to major.
      One of the main causes of white exhaust smoke and coolant loss is a cracked or warped cylinder head, a cracked engine block, or head gasket failure caused by overheating. A cracked head may allow coolant to leak into one or more cylinders or into the combustion chamber of the engine.
      http://carsdirect.com/car-repair/causes-of-white-exhaust-smoke
      It sound like it could be related to the repair you had done.

Peter

Last edited: August 13, 2017
    5. croll326

croll326 Active Member

2013 Explorer Sport
      That's exactly what I did. I noticed it about 3 mikes from the dealer. Took it right back. Their initial diagnosis is a stick injector which I call BS. I've never once smelled extra gas ever.