White Face Instrument Cluster Install on a 99 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

White Face Instrument Cluster Install on a 99

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I have had my eye on white face instrument clusters for some time now; however, since it was not a high priority project, it simmered on the back burner. Finally I won an E Bay auction for the white face cluster ( with 1 mile showing on the odometer). My winning bid was $77.00 plus $10 for shipping.

The cluster is brand new Ford part number 1L5F-10849-RC.

Installation was extremely simple. The install was exactly like the tremendous write up that bigtigexplorer produced ( Dead Link Removed ). There is simply no need to duplicate he work and excellent photographs. My installation took a little over 30 minutes using my 1/4" drive air ratchet.

After a test drive, the odometer shows 6 miles as seen in the photo below.

The white face instruments are much easier to read than the stock ones. This is a nice upgrade for any Explorer with the black face instruments.

Attachments

• 92_1_b.jpg
    92_1_b.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 4,035
  • white.jpg
    white.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 8,551
  • odometer.jpg
    odometer.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 4,033

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

feel like a new car?

How come you didn't get the white gear selector? Looks good though. Are you going to correct the odomoter or just keep track of it all? Good stuff!

-Drew

i plan to do this mod also. like you its on the back burner though. i will try and have the dealer put the right milage in it though.

Lookin' good. I definitely prefer to OEM white faced look to stock. I've heard the white faced gear indicator can be had easy enough through a dealer, and presumably through Ford Parts Network. Nice thing about the plug and play install is that you didn't have to screw around with getting the needles right.

Good luck with the rollforward.

Nice! I was thinking bout this too!
~oh and just to clarify, all that is required (aside from dis/reassembly) is to plug in the connectors to the new dash assy? no disassembling the dash unit itself like the indiglos? and there's no needle messing around needed?
edit: oh btw that will fit a '95 right? (i dont see any reason why it wouldn't) :)

oh and another thing:
I found another on ebay, which has a matching part #, but it is listed as coming from a 4x2. will the cluster have the 4wd and 4low lights in it?

did you get it here

ebay id number 7966205052

Yeah I did. was that the same auction that you got them from?

i am thinking about the white gauges off of ebay also..

corvetterules42 said:
oh and another thing:
I found another on ebay, which has a matching part #, but it is listed as coming from a 4x2. will the cluster have the 4wd and 4low lights in it?

No it won't. If yours is a 4x4, you need the correct one for your application. The back of the cluster will have the bulb slot for them, however, I gues if it does work, it wont show the 4wd and 4low.

Example: See the right side of the cluster.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pjsitumeang/detail?.dir=a900&.dnm=608a.jpg&.src=ph

98xlt2wd said:
No it won't. If yours is a 4x4, you need the correct one for your application. The back of the cluster will have the bulb slot for them, however, I gues if it does work, it wont show the 4wd and 4low.

Example: See the right side of the cluster.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pjsitumeang/detail?.dir=a900&.dnm=608a.jpg&.src=ph

The rightmost overlay on the 2WD version doesn't even have the gels for the 4WD lights. Even if you had a bulb behind there and it was hooked up, it would just glow and you wouldn't see any of the 4WD messages.

Ever heard of carfax? I hope you aren't trying to sell your car any time soon.

ATLExplosion said:
Ever heard of carfax? I hope you aren't trying to sell your car any time soon.

Al is trying to correct the speedometer

ExplorerDMB said:
Al is trying to correct the speedometer

Thanks for the explanation; reckon the other fellow just didn't read the thread.

we all want less miles..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hate you Al :D , I've bid on 3 in the past two weeks and no one outbid me until the last 10 mins. Jerks :(

Back