Who had to replace the starter or fuel pump ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who had to replace the starter or fuel pump ?

Explorer_PL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rockland County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
06EB V8
So just thinking ahead, the next things that usualy fail at my mileage (150k) are the starter or fuel pump - I mean overall when it comes to cars.

Has anyone had one of those fail ? At what mileage ?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I havent had to replace the starter, but I did pull it out when I swapped the motor. I will say that is a huge pain in the ass to access!

I thought it was pretty well accesssible, but I only judged by looking under the truck. What was in the way ?

Its real tight in there. I ended up using long extensions and going from upfront. That seemed to be the easiest way to get to the bolts

Following up to an old thread with info that might help someone. I just replaced the starter in our '10 XLT 2WD 4.0 w/122K on the clock. Piece of cake! If you can do brakes on these things, you can swap the starter on the 4.0 model. the 2 bolts holding it on are extremely easy to access. I'd say less than an hour including jack up/jack down time and that's a few trips to the tool box for the right size sockets.

Wow, so I posted that question exactly 4 years ago when my v8 had 150k.
I am at 242k now and still original starter and fuel pump.
Had to remove starters few times on both my v8 and v6 when swapping motors or transmission and it's ok, I believe 2 or 3 13mm bolts, and an 8mm nut for one of the cables.

Fuel Pump out at around 130k. Just quit....no warning. I was lucky I was only 1/8 mile from my house. Parts & labor was around $600, but don't quote me. They drop the tank. When I went to put gas in it a few days later, it wouldn't take it. They broke some kind of valve/solenoid thingy when dropping or re-installing the tank and replaced it no charge. Just an FYI if you decide to do it yourself

Back