Whoops, should have bought an OHV V8. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whoops, should have bought an OHV V8.

Hi everybody, been a while since I've posted, but wanted to give an update on my Ford Explorer journey. After the 2nd full rebuild on my 98, it decided the pistons and valves needed a rendezvous. I thought I had done everything right.... I really did fool myself into thinking I could make this thing run for another 50,000 miles if I was meticulous enough with the details. NOPE! 9000 miles and exactly one year to the date, I am again left with a pile of crap... This is last straw. I'm either sourcing a V8 OHV engine and hope most of the parts I wasted money on in my SOHC fit (Valves, non-cam orientated specific parts in the main block), or I get a cheap car to get me by until I can afford something better. I've worked my ass off on this car and it has failed me time and time again. It has ran well while it's been working, no complaints on performance, but reliability just isn't there. Luckily this time it didn't leave me stranded, I never got a chance to leave the driveway before the chain flew off the front cam. Probably valve damage again, but like last time, no warning whatsoever (chain rattle, timing issues, etc.)

What were the Ford engineers smoking when they retro-fitted this cologne block for SOHC? Why does this stupid engine make it 50,000-75,000 miles from the factory before failing the first time and then not making it past 10,000 miles on subsequent rebuilds? FYI, last time the cassette tensioners didn't snap, somehow the sprocket slipped on the right cam. I remedied that by getting new cam bolts and re-torqued down to spec. I won't know what happened this time until I tear it down. Has anyone else had these repeated issues with SOHC or were you guys smart enough to stop trying after your first try?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My POS has 50000k kms on it and is still running well. I did just change my front tensioner due to a rattle. The engine is still garbage, but hopefully it will last me (knock on wood) until I can purchase an imported half ton, preferably with a Cummins diesel engine. Last Ford I ever own.

On a side note, which kit did you use? If it was an Ebay special, I'm truly not surprised.

Lower tensioner (I broke the first by accident)

November 18, 2015
41e5CTmrljL._SX50_.jpg
97-11 Ford Explorer, Ranger, Mazda B4000, Mercury 4.0L (4.0) SOHC Lower Timing Chain Tensioner (IF-YL2Z6L266AA)

And this for the main kit (hasn't broken yet and seemed more durable than the factory version)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12076568819...iewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:US:3160&vxp=mtr

Yup ebay special chains. I have put a few sets in and always tell my customers they are paying me to install junk in their motor. The longest I have actually seen one make it on ebay chains in about 50k miles. It rattled the last 30k miles before it died.

BoominXplorer what brand do you or have you heard of installed with success?

Found the problem... now just need to know what caused it, and hope that the rear chain is in better shape. This kind of wear was not present last year when I rebuilt. At that point, the engine had 11,000 miles using this kit. This wear you see in the picture is 9000 miles after the 2nd rebuild. Something since the last rebuild caused the chain to become super stiff and wear into the nylon I'm guessing. What kit can I replace this with that is more reliable, if durability is indeed an issue?

IMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg

My 4.0 SOHC has 252,000 miles on it and it has no timing chain issues what so ever and still has original transmission also and i have no issues with this truck i think its luck of the draw with the explorers i got a great one and some people get lemons

Yup ebay special chains. I have put a few sets in and always tell my customers they are paying me to install junk in their motor. The longest I have actually seen one make it on ebay chains in about 50k miles. It rattled the last 30k miles before it died.

Hey, do you know how many brands there are for the timing chain parts? I see that eBay linked listing mentions Ford part numbers, Cloyes, and others. I'm sure that's a cheap brand knock off. But are any brands besides the Ford worth the trouble. I bought one of the Cloyes kits through Rock Auto, because it included most of the needed parts. How big of a gamble is that?

I had one of their early Cleveland "true roller" timing chains, and took it back. I never bought another Cloyes timing chain, since that one had typical seamed rollers. I've bought Edelbrock chains, for normal SBF builds.

IMG_0731.jpg

Usually this wear is caused by a broken link in the chain. It broke on 1 side and continued to run till it completely broke. It's cheap metal they are made out of.

Cloyes or Ford timing timing sets are what I recommend. They use the same manufacturer on most of the guides and are identical out the box. The chains in ford kits "look" better though.

Thanks a lot. I'm hoping after I go through the SOHC parts again, and rebuild the 5R55E, it will survive until I get to building a 306/4R70W/BW4406 to upgrade it.

IMG_0731.jpg

Usually this wear is caused by a broken link in the chain. It broke on 1 side and continued to run till it completely broke. It's cheap metal they are made out of.

Cloyes or Ford timing timing sets are what I recommend. They use the same manufacturer on most of the guides and are identical out the box. The chains in ford kits "look" better though.
The Cloyes is what I used. Thanks

I guess the Cloyes is what I'll use the next go-round then. Here's to another few hundred bucks down the drain until this inevitably happens again! :banghead:

Best price I found on a full set earlier this year was rock auto.

Good news, no valve damage! The rear chain seems to be intact, so I shouldn't have to pull the engine this time. Here's the gore first-hand:

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

Back