Why are 2nd row bucket seats so hard to find? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why are 2nd row bucket seats so hard to find?

driver4523

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 - Ford Explorer Limi
I'm trying to buy a 2011-2013 used Explorer and I've looked up tons and tons of limited's and very very very few of them have the 2nd row captain seats (which we really want.)

Any idea why these are so hard to find? Is it because they cost extra?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No idea, but when I was looking for our 14 it seemed to be about a 50/.50 split.

by captain seat I presume you mean bucket seat.. I got that as a $750 option in my 2014 Explorer, over a bench seat. Far more practical for a family of 4

I'm trying to buy a 2011-2013 used Explorer and I've looked up tons and tons of limited's and very very very few of them have the 2nd row captain seats (which we really want.)...

Hey driver4523,

Send me your wish list in a PM; I'll be happy to track down the perfect Explorer for you. Be sure to include your ZIP code so I can find the closest options available.

Crystal

Hey driver4523,

Send me your wish list in a PM; I'll be happy to track down the perfect Explorer for you. Be sure to include your ZIP code so I can find the closest options available.

Crystal

Can you track down used ons? I've been looking at ton of them online....

Expensive, and cut the total seating down from 7 people (2, 3, 2) to 6 (2, 2, 2).

yup it's a $750 option to seat less people.....that wasn't very popular

yup it's a $750 option to seat less people.....that wasn't very popular

I beg to differ....I believe it is a very popular option and a very good one.

I personally have it along with the console and wouldn't want it any other way. There are very few times where I would ever need to be able to seat seven people. We all know that the middle seat in the second row of a bench seat can hardly be considered a full size seat anyhow....It is a possibility that there is a higher demand for used Ex's with the second row buckets, and that may be why they are harder to find......

It is a $750 option but keep in mind that it makes the 2nd row electronically folding instead of having to lift the lever up twice. Both seats are also manually sliding where on the bench style, only the 40 of the 60/40 manually slides.

So yes it is more money but their are benefits. I wish I went with it.. with 2 car seats in the 2nd row, the front seats have to be pushed forward to an uncomfortable spot for me because of how big they are. Granted I have a 2011 so even the 40 of the bench doesn't slide. That would have been a life saver...

you can also swap with anyone else willing to let go of their bucket seats.. I might be pursuaded if the price is right and not too far.
Most of the time, its either me or at times my whole family of 4 in the vehicle.. so I dont need 7 seats.. a situation I might be in once every 4years and even then I would have other means of managing seating
The 2 2nd row bucket seats just look a lot more elegant, especially with that center console.. nice package

Yeah, if it was an excursion or expedition, the 2nd row bench would be okay 3 across. It was not true with my wife, myself and my 6 year old in the explorer.

PLUS- the 2nd row bucket seats you can move forward and back for additional space behind the front seats, or me in the third row I can sit pretty comfortably and im 6'2".

Then there is the 2nd row console. WAY better for drinks and a great storage location.

But, either way. This is a damn fine vehicle. I can't believe I waited so long to get it.

There are no inner armrests if you don't get the console. Still not available as an add on.

I beg to differ....I believe it is a very popular option and a very good one.

I personally have it along with the console and wouldn't want it any other way. There are very few times where I would ever need to be able to seat seven people. We all know that the middle seat in the second row of a bench seat can hardly be considered a full size seat anyhow....It is a possibility that there is a higher demand for used Ex's with the second row buckets, and that may be why they are harder to find......

You can beg to differ, but that doesn't mean anything because the numbers don't lie lol. I didn't say it was a bad option, if I did then that you could beg to differ. I said it wasn't a popular one, because it was a $750 option to seat less people so not many people who just want a utilitarian SUV want to pay more to seat less, and more people buy explorers off lots than ordering, so dealers spec them out to appeal to the masses to make the most sales. I wish we could have found one with 2nd row buckets when we were looking, even in a non-Sport, just to see what they were like. No dealer around us in NJ had a single one. Probably saw 100 explorers new on the lot, zero with buckets. And it wasn't because people all scrambled in to buy the ones with buckets lol. Even looking on ebay and autotrader trying to find good pics of them, they were extremely hard to find.

I actually wish we got one with 2nd row buckets, but I also wish we got the sienna inserts, but it's the wife's DD, so she got to make the final call lol

While shopping for ours in the Houston area, I would say on the Limiteds, the ratio was better than 50:50 for having the buckets. We didn't shop the other trims so I can't speak for those, and I can't remember if the buckets were even available on the other trims at the time. I think regional differences could account for some of the disparity of observation.

As for 7 passenger seating, that center "seat" that you get with the bench is a joke for an adult. A small child could fit, but not an adult comfortably. I suppose it could be, and has been done, but I would not want to be that center seat person. We decided in an instant to get the second row buckets and have not regretted it for a second. We would not have been as happy with the bench. The sliding buckets with center console makes our Explorer the comfortable roadtrip master.

The comfort of the buckets vs. bench was covered in another thread, and it would seem that the inflexible inflatable seat belt buckle receivers made sitting in that center seat uncomfortable if you were too wide :)

I wouldn't settle if you don't have to. Keep looking, as it is a worth while option in the Explorer. Just be aware, as someone pointed out earlier, that the seats themselves do not have inboard armrests. If you get the buckets without the console, you will have no place to rest your inboard arm (except for your lap, lol). A few folks like the consoleless design as another way to get into the back row, so keep that in mind. Also keep in mind that the console cannot be added later without minor modification of the carpet and considerable expense (it is not sold as a single unit, but must be assembled from its constituent parts from the catalog to the tune of around $1000.00 last I heard).

Good luck on finding your new car!

Second row buckets WITH console ...

... is hard to find. In fact it was SO hard to find that we had to order our Limited built that way.

I just don't understand why more EX's aren't built with bucket seats and with the console. The console back there is great - it functions as an arm rest for the second row plus it adds storage and drink holders too. All for a hundred bucks. Plus, if you don't want it back there its not hard to remove.

But - as Vince pointed out - it cannot be added as an after thought. Service techs at my dealer tell me there are thread bosses under the floor that are added for the console and the carpet is fitted for it. So get it up front and do not expect to add it later.

While shopping for ours in the Houston area, I would say on the Limiteds, the ratio was better than 50:50 for having the buckets. We didn't shop the other trims so I can't speak for those, and I can't remember if the buckets were even available on the other trims at the time. I think regional differences could account for some of the disparity of observation.

As for 7 passenger seating, that center "seat" that you get with the bench is a joke for an adult. A small child could fit, but not an adult comfortably. I suppose it could be, and has been done, but I would not want to be that center seat person. We decided in an instant to get the second row buckets and have not regretted it for a second. We would not have been as happy with the bench. The sliding buckets with center console makes our Explorer the comfortable roadtrip master.

The comfort of the buckets vs. bench was covered in another thread, and it would seem that the inflexible inflatable seat belt buckle receivers made sitting in that center seat uncomfortable if you were too wide :)

I wouldn't settle if you don't have to. Keep looking, as it is a worth while option in the Explorer. Just be aware, as someone pointed out earlier, that the seats themselves do not have inboard armrests. If you get the buckets without the console, you will have no place to rest your inboard arm (except for your lap, lol). A few folks like the consoleless design as another way to get into the back row, so keep that in mind. Also keep in mind that the console cannot be added later without minor modification of the carpet and considerable expense (it is not sold as a single unit, but must be assembled from its constituent parts from the catalog to the tune of around $1000.00 last I heard).

Good luck on finding your new car!

My dealer added it to my 13. The console is in the book of accessories they had, and they charged me 430.00 for the console, and a hundred bucks for the install. Cheaper than the factory pricing.:salute:

^ I hadn't realized that the situation had changed on that front.

I'm not sure what you mean by better than factory pricing as our console was only a $100 option when we ordered.

My dealer added it to my 13. The console is in the book of accessories they had, and they charged me 430.00 for the console, and a hundred bucks for the install. Cheaper than the factory pricing.:salute:

Factory price for the console is $100.00. I think its a great deal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back