Why no late model lifts? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why no late model lifts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are there no companies that make lifts for late model exlorer's that make them for all other suv's. How can they not make a lift for a the best selling suv. I have e-mailed almost every company and wholesaler that I could and they either dont e-mail me back or tell me there isn't one avalible. Every day I think "why didnt I get a jeep".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just bought a 96' Eddie Bauer with v8. Its a great truck but I want to be able to go
offroading with my buds. I know the awd isnt the greatest but it will have to work. I
want more clearance, but not overly outrageous. Maybe between 2-4 inches... Anyone
who has done this please tell me what to do and where to go. Also my brakes, they
suck. I got them checked out, new pads, refinished rotor.. but I slam the pedal to the
floor, and it rolls to a stop...

Any help with that is also apprec....

Thanks,
Rob

------------------
96' Eddie Bauer v8/awd

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I dint needle the guy on why there is no lift I just asked him what there plan s were and why there wasnt any lift. Anyway I e-mailed rancho on sunday and munday I got a reply. They said
Dear Keith,
Thank you for your interest in Rancho products. The '95 and up Explorer use a
completely different torsion bar front suspension which was not used on the
Rangers until the '98 model. The only kits we currently have for either the
Ranger or Explorer are for older I beam style front ends. The new coverage we
come out with is determined by public demand. We appreciate your input and
will certainly take this application into consideration.

I think we should send them some mail and let them know we want it.

www.gorancho.com

I'm gettin' on this bandwagon also. We` need a lift from someone. So sign me up for general harassment detail!

I'd like to add my name to the list of people who want to see more aftermarket lifts for the Explorer. I know of at least four or five people just in my city of Redmond, Washington who want suspension lifts for the 95s and up. Also, I would like to add for all of the companies that get this that I don't think Rancho is going to come out with one soon cause they are sitting on their A--es, and I very much am thankful that a company like superlift is willing to put there faith in a kickas- truck. 2% of the millions of Explorers is still a lot!
Mat

Please add me to the list. It's been about killing me not to be able to wheel with my brother and our friends. Riding Shotgun sucks.

Sean

I would love to be able to buy a lift kit for my '96 XLT. It's something that's way overdue. I am interested in a 4" lift. I love 4 wheeling, it would be great to be able to get into some of the places that my buddies are able to.

Jim

Throw my hat into the ring. I need a lift for my 95 XLT. Just been waiting for it to come out. It amazes me that this suspension has been in use for almost 5 years now. I could see if it was a year or two old, but come on, 5 years.......... I bet it didn't take them that long for the chevy system when they changed.

Count me in!!! I have a 1997 Explorer Sport 4x4 with 31 x 10.5 Dunlops RV. Looks great, but it would be so much better with an extra 4". Like many of you, I don't understand what the deal with these manufacturers is. Is it money? How much could it cost to modify the 98 Ranger lift to fit the Explorer. If that is the problem, maybe we can all chip in. There has to be a lot more people like us out there. Let's get them!!

I hella want to lift my 97 Expl. Sport. What the hells up with them having the lift for a ****ing Expidition with in 6 months of that caming out. How many people actially use the lift on that for more than looks. This is pissing me off!

------------------

I've been getting ready to do some mods on my '95 xlt. Already have a K&N Filter Charger. Looking at headers and exhaust, and most of all a lift. Just a modest one, but I gotta have one. Add me to the list. Let's get this garbage taken care of!!

Geez, somehow I wrote over Felsmans post. Sorry about that! Anyway he asked who was going to do something about this issue and when.

Below is the reply which was supposed to be in it's own message box.
Rick

This has only been going on since Mar. 9th. Give it till Apr. 9th to let the list grow.

Then I'm going to approach the major lift makers with some evidence. Besides this list I also have numerous e-mails that have been sent to me personally.

Individuals have been approaching the lift makers since the '95s first came out with no success. This needs to be an all out effort.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 03-25-99).]

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 03-25-99).]

Rick,
I've been e-mailing and calling Superlift and others since 1997 when I purchased my 1995 Explorer Sport. Count me in!
CJ

I also have a 95 Explorer Sport. It has the Expedition Package and every imaginable option except a real suspension lift! The torsion twist/add a leaf that it has now is not enough! I also have been calling and E-Mailing Superlift and others for over a year now. Runarounds, smart comebacks, and bogus dates are all I've gotten in response. I've posted messages on this topic on Rick's previous message board and you can add me to your list again!
Rick

I just received a reply (3/22) from Joe Watts at jwatts@bayou.com (Superlift) to my inquiry about a late model lift. I sent the inquiry so long ago I don't even remember when! Anyway, here is his reply.
" As soon as we can come up with a way to install the cross member without having to weld it in place, and not have to torch out the old one."
I appreciate the response, but this is the third response I've received with the third reason (excuse) for not having the lift yet! Previous reasons were; "knuckles different from Ranger", "not enough interest", "cost prohibitive".
C'mon guys! If we can send an ORV to Mars, surely we can mount a cross member!
Sirius

Has any one checked with ford to see what the differance is between the suspension for the 95+ explorer and 98+(or maybe just 99's I dont know)ranger is? Because I cant even tell the differance between the two, if there truely is a differance it is so slight, I think that even a body and frame repair company could make the minor change to fit the new ranger lift. If someone else has looked at the two and know enough about suspensions to tell the difference, or has talked to ford please let me know.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Mark P (edited 03-31-99).]

I guess no one knows the answer to my question. Is there any new info about if there will be a lift soon and if so when?

i have a 95 explorer i want a lift to i cranked up torsion bars and i am running 32 1150 bfg muds i am also looking for a body lift but i cant even find one of those, this sucks i wish rancho and superlift would quite sitting on their lazy ***** and make the f**king lift

Has any1 ever seen any shock up grades I cant seem to find any thing suspension wise.

[This message has been edited by Keith (edited 04-12-99).]

Hey gu's count me in I have a 98 soprt 2dor and am lookin for a 3" body lift. Someone over in the lift and suspencion page said that the 90-94 explorer body lift will work but the bumper mounts won't. Those can be fabricated easy enough. My question is the sterieng collum will an extencion be needed. i think so. Will the old one work?

I also have done the torsion bar lift. I swapped my existing torsion bars (suspension code D) for the stiffest offered for 95 (B) The bars were ordered from the Ford dealer (extremely un-helpful parts man named Steve) and were $49.62 and $47.92 each + tax. Right and left are different lengths. The suspension codes are listed on the driver's side door jamb. For 95 they range from " B" to " L". Heaviest load to lightest load. Because my 95 came with a factory brush guard, it had a "D" rating for the front suspension and an "L" for the rear. I also replaced the adjusters as the originals were jammed onto the bars. If yours are not stuck, or rounded and in good shape, you will not have to replace them. These were $40.00+tax for the pair. While replacing, or just adjusting the bars, it helps to loosen your lower shock nuts, and loosen the sway bar links for more travel and lift. I gained almost a half inch of lift by loosening the sway bar links alone! My studs were corroded and snapped during this procedure so I replaced both links with new ones from the factory. These were slightly longer than the old ones. Another bonus! These came to $54.76+tax for the studs, nuts and links. Again, if yours are in good shape you do not need to replace these. The replacement itself took less 20 minutes for the driver's side and almost an hour for the passenger side. The passenger bar was almost welded by corrosion and rust to the frame!
I use Haynes manuals for all my vehicles. They are very informative and have great drawings. They do recommend a special tool to remove and replace the adjusters. I used my floor jack instead. If you want the tool, it is part number T95T-5310-A.
If your torsion bars are in excellent shape and not losing tension, you can gain quite a bit of lift from just adjusting adjuster bolts all the way in. This costs you nothing and takes about a half hour total! Initially, mine gave me 2" of lift, but then settled to about 1.25" after a few days of driving. This is why I went for newer, stiffer bars. Be careful when upgrading though. Just one level up made a huge difference in ride and bounce! Way out of alignment!
My stock shocks are definately over whelmed by the new bars. I would like to get the Edelbrock IAS shocks if they can be gotten in a slightly longer, more travel, version than stock? Someone mentioned that they used the shocks listed for a Ford F-150? Paul, or Rick? Are the late model and early model shocks the same? A dual shock hoop (from Duff??) and these shocks would be awsome. This would almost negate the sway bar, and still provide a great ride.
I used extended shackles in the rear for 1.5" of lift. My Explorer's rear springs are 3" wide and a single leaf with no over load leaf. I have not been able to find an overload, or lift kit to fit these other than going to a spring company and paying $300.00+ for a custom made spring? JeffSeal- Where did you get yours? Do you have taller shocks as well? What size wheels did you use to fit the 32x11.5s? Mine came with 16x7s and 255/70-16 tires.
The part numbers for the 95 parts are as follows. These may or may not fit later years.
Torsion Bars-"B" code- F57Z*5B326A,and F57Z*5B327A
Adjusters-F57Z*5B328A
Sway bar link parts-
Stud-F77Z*5495*AA, Nuts-F77Z*5C491*AA, Links-F77Z*5K483*AA
Good luck and happy wheelin!

------------------
RickG
95 Explorer Sport Expedition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back