• Register Today It's free!

Why the difference in height?

Cbjdriles

Reaction score
City, State
Baker City
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Ford Explorer
I recently installed "pucks" in front and AAL in the back along with new SkyJacker shocks. I measured the height from the garage floor to the fender and found the front to be about 2 inches higher than the back. But, I also found the right side to be higher than the left on the front and rear! Any idea why that would be?
Right front measures: 34 3/4"
Left front measures: 34"
Right rear measures: 33 3/16"
Left rear measures: 32 7/16"
Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What do you mean "pucks"? Are you talking spacers under the coil springs? The reason for a left lean is a combo of degraded body mounts and the fact that the gas tank is on the left side causing it to sag. As far as front to rear lean goes, springs sag over time. You could remove whatever "pucks" you put in, or replace the rear shocks with Monroe sense-trac helper spring shocks which generally lift the rear about an inch, as well as giving much better stability and load carrying.

The "pucks" I mentioned are the coil spring spacers. I suppose at some point in the future I should buy new leaf springs. If I understand 2Stroke correctly, the body bushings between the frame and body are likely compressed and need to be replaced?

Did you take any measurements before you lifted? Unless you had a 2" difference front to back before lifting, the pucks gave you more lift than the all did.

The drivers side lean on these so common that it could almost be considered normal. What 2strike said is accurate.

Keep in mind it's OLD. These weren't exactly in spec even new...
Those are close enough. I don't see a problem.

Keep in mind any positive camber will make the height higher on that side also.

Right front measures: 34 3/4"
Left front measures: 34"
Right rear measures: 33 3/16"
Left rear measures: 32 7/16"
Thanks in advance.

That's pretty normal for all the trucks I've seen. Fuel tank and driver wear that side down as everyone said.

What spacer are you using up front?

I installed a 2 inch kit from Supreme Suspensions. I have an alignment scheduled for Monday so maybe the height difference will not be so great in the front afterwards. The camber on both front is out by quite a lot after installing the lift. Although, it sounds like I don't need to be concerned about the difference.

I installed a 2 inch kit from Supreme Suspensions. I have an alignment scheduled for Monday so maybe the height difference will not be so great in the front afterwards. The camber on both front is out by quite a lot after installing the lift. Although, it sounds like I don't need to be concerned about the difference.

I wouldn't be too concerned unless it's extreme, like it was with my old springs. With my new springs, it's not so bad, but even so, the driver's side is STILL a little lower, but now barely noticeable. The layman will not notice it. Only us Explorer guys. I considered putting a washer in the front to even it up, but then I wondered what to do about the rear -- possibly a slightly longer shackle...but that's getting pretty nitpicky for a couple of eighths of an inch difference.

Regarding your camber, are you going to use Moog K80109 camber bushings? Those will probably be needed if you have more than 2.5 degrees of camber...and it sounds like you do. I took mine to an alignment shop and they wouldn't install the K80109's -- so they were only able to get me from 4 degrees to 2.2 degrees, and they call that "in- spec". I call it something else. :)

Back