Why Were They Called EXPLODERS? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why Were They Called EXPLODERS?

Dang, and I thought it was called "Exploder" cause of how it performs offroad when you mix a 5.0L V8 with a locked D44 and Ford 9 behind it. :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I call mine the xploder just because the first time I ever saw an explorer off roading with my friends dad, the person driving the xplo slammed on the gas and a big old black cloud shot out the exhaust lmao, heard his dad say typical of an exploder, so i just grew up calling it that.

Never knew the real reason, don't think there is on.

mine is an xploder cause its just an awesome name, i wanna get some d's from an expedition and put them on my truck so everyone will know the awesomeness of my xploder

mine is an xploder cause its just an awesome name, i wanna get some d's from an expedition and put them on my truck so everyone will know the awesomeness of my xploder

that is a great idea... lol once it's warm out i'm hitting up the junk yard in search of d's

i knew i should have copyrighted my idea lol but its cool i get alot of ideas and learn alot from this site, i put up my ideas in return and i'd glad someone can find a use for them

So it seems the tires didn't blow apart, just eject their tread like a saturn booster rocket. This could cause one to overcompensate from surprise or whatever due to the change in steering and voila! you are flipped over! Could happen in any vehicle.
Exactly. What was really scary was that one of the stories that got the most media attention was a rollover in Florida that left a family of four really messed up. Pretty sure the father became paralyzed, etc. When they showed the damage, the tire that detreaded was the right rear, same as mine.

I took that as I sign that I'm either the luckiest person in the world (remember, I was doing 75-80 mph at the time mine gave up), or this dude really couldn't drive...

Mike

Don't forget, the factory pressure was listed at 26 or 28psi.. which meant if you let your tires go a while (like many people do) the pressure could get down to the low 20's which means you have too much weight on the tires for the specific psi. That would cause the tire to overheat and then blow (normally drivers rear since that is where the tank is)..

last time I checked virtually all of the blowouts were in warmer climates like Az, Tx, NM,, Florida etc..

~Mark

Oh yeah, forgot about that. I've always run mine at max pressure (as shown on the tire). For no good reason other than that's what my Dad taught me many, many years ago.

Mike

Lots of other vehicles have derogitory nicknames;

Mercury Mistake (Mystique)
Rustang, Pustang (Mustang)
Chevy Crapalier (they really are)
Pontiac Stunfire (Sunfire)
Pontiac Aztec (not really a derogatory name, just about the butt ugliest vehicle ever made)

You forgot the Mercury Crappy (Capri):D

I had heard that the Exploder nickname came from the belt tensioner "exploding", and taking whatever else it could with it. This isn't a fact, but just what I heard.

I've put 320k miles on my exploder. It's a term of endearment.

Other than the a4ld, if you take care of it (i.e. change oil, don't overheat etc) you have a good chance..

As of this morning we are at 3799xx miles. At 355k miles I freshened a motor and put it in because we had a head crack again and I figured this was a good time to do it.. Transmission are another story.. gave up on the a4ld and put in a 700r4..

The rest of the truck is hanging in there.

~Mark

They call em exploders cause "exploder" is a really fun word to say and... Really... If your not a demolitions expert then when else are you gonna get to say it?

The firestone scandle was ford fault. ford told the mechanics to set the tire pressure to low for the tire to increase ride comfort. hell i have run those tires and loved it. lol i got 3 sets of perfectly good tires for nothing. as far as the nickname it like any other vehicle there are alot of nicknames. EX ford tearup(taurus). The problem was not the tire but was the specs ford said the tire had to be set to. i know this because my brother was a tech at a ford dealership when the announcement was sent and copied it. stating that they need to put the reccommended pressure of the tire.

I thought it was just because of the upper end ticking they are notorious for!

wow, it's amazing how you guys look so deep into this.

before ever having owned a ford explorer, i always called internet explorer internet exploder. i immediately adapted the nickname for my truck when getting it. it has nothing to do with anything, it's just a funny catchy name that happens to be very close to the word explorer.

only much later (on these forums, actually) was i even aware anyone other than me had the nickname exploder for these vehicles. not that i doubted anyone else would have caught on, just saying i never learned it from anyone, it's just 'too easy to pass up'.

that is my professional assertation of the etymology of the nickname exploder (or, rather just some random ranting by someone completely unqualified, whichever you prefer).

they chevy guys cant beat them. so the only bad thing they could do is call them exploders.

Sorry to say he was wrong

Oh yeah, forgot about that. I've always run mine at max pressure (as shown on the tire). For no good reason other than that's what my Dad taught me many, many years ago.

Mike

Having worked at both Ford and a leading tire shop, tires should ALWAYS be at whatever the manufacturer of the VEHICLE recommends. Even tire manufacturers say to use the vehicle manufacturer's spec. Call ANY tire dealer, and they will tell you to go with what's on the truck's sticker, the tire just states a maximum inflation pressure at a specific load, before it becomes unsafe, its not the recommended vehicle pressure at all.

Ford set the 26psi for explorers to create a smooth ride on city streets due to the torsion bars. Firestone initially said their tires were okay at that pressure despite Explorer weight.

Firestone later disputed the low pressure but had previously tested their tires for 26PSI as per Ford's spec. and had presented them as safe at 26PSI to Ford The problem was eventually found as separation due to both heat and weight, which all approved tires since have been able to manage without issue.
I run Michelin LTX which are not actually approved for use on an Explorer, even though they have the right size. However I run them harder at about 30-32PSI front and 34 rear, which they can manage properly, even if a bit of a harder ride its better on gas. (these tires don't show much wear after 5 years, excellent compound good for 120K kms) Tires suggest "max" pressure is 44PSI, but that would be like driving without suspension.

Having worked at both Ford and a leading tire shop, tires should ALWAYS be at whatever the manufacturer of the VEHICLE recommends. Even tire manufacturers say to use the vehicle manufacturer's spec. Call ANY tire dealer, and they will tell you to go with what's on the truck's sticker, the tire just states a maximum inflation pressure at a specific load, before it becomes unsafe, its not the recommended vehicle pressure at all.

Just a caveot here.. This is ONLY if your using stock sized tires with the same ratings as the stock tires.

Once you deviate from stock tire sizes the factory tire pressure may not work.

Most places you call will just tell you to go by the door sticker becuase they feel it has limited their liability.

This is the same as them saying they will only put on the factory tire size thinking it will absolve them from liability. In reality it doesn't but they are playing the #'s.

For example, if you have a lifted vehicle with modified suspension and they put on a factory tire size that can't handle the weight it is still their fault for installing a tire that is not correct for the vehicle.

My trailer ran into this (previous owner). The shop installed rims/tires and it couldn't handle the weight the trailer was now designed for. The rims broke so the shop had to pay for new axles/wheels and tires.

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"Ford Exploder." It just rolls off the tongue... :)

Would also like to know if a wandering above 35mph can be corrected with an alignment.

Along with bad tires and poor alignment, worn steering/suspension components can definitly cause "wandering." I had a '72 Cougar with a bad lower ball-joint and it had no steering stability - it was all over the road.

Lift each front tire/wheel off the ground (floor jack) and then push/pull/tug on the tire/wheel in all different directions to see if you find any slack or movement. If so - have someone look at all the components while you do this, and you should be able to see movement at a worn/bad part... Good luck!

Back