mounty71

It's green, not gray.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Oakland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mountaineer
I have been searching around for a 1st gen 4x4 to serve as a daily driver, prerunner, and 4wheeler all in one. I know, a tall order, but I found this: http://www.race-dezert.com/cgi-bin/trader/atl.cgi?ct=2&md=second&id=2416

I just called the owner to tell him i wanted to see it this weekend, and when finding out more about the truck, he told me the 4WD works, but because the beams are widened 4" and he hasn't had the half shafts widened yet, they obviously are not in the front end. The front hasn't been regeared either. So i'm wondering,

1) Is it a big deal to get the half shafts extended 4", and how expensive would it be? He mentioned it depends on materials too.
2) With widening the beams, is the length of the halfshaft the only internal component that needs to be changed?
3) Where would i go to get them extended? He told me they are not camburg beams, but they were built identical to camburg's. I looked on camburg's site (haven't called) and didn't see extended half shafts listed, so i'm wondering where one would get these if they got widened beams from camburg.
4) Can the half shafts even be extended, or do i need to start with all new ones from, say, currie or another axle co.?
5) Finally, i'd just like to get some opinions on whether the asking price of $6k sounds reasonable, considering the additional money i'd need to get the 4wd in, geared, and working.

Thanks guys and gals.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...i think 410fortune is a good one to hit up on this...i would also let someone who knows about welding check this out...it could be a backyard project..the front end from the pics look ok but you really can't see it...
...i am wondering why he is running 4" shackle and an aal...:scratch:
...i myself would steer away from it...it looks to me like he took a stock X and found the front end parts and threw them on...you said you didn't want a project and for what he's asking, ouch...you could put another 2 grand in it and it would look about the same...just my thoughts though...;)

...i am wondering why he is running 4" shackle and an aal...:scratch:

I have to wonder about too. From looking at the pic it's still sitting at stock height it appears in the rear.

and besides with the widen front end this thing is gonna be a ticket magnet for ya since Highway Patrol has really been cracking down on other guys that have widen front axles.

Wow, i wasn't expecting responses like this. A little disappointing. Oh, and thanks for the compliment Dannyboy ;). I would guess he has the shackle and add-a-leaf because he couldn't afford to do the rear end like the front. In a previous add he posted, he said he had run out money to finish the whole truck. Probably why the 4wd hasn't been done too.

I thought the truck seemed like a well-rounded truck, but i know far less than most of you so i value what you are saying. He told me he and a buddy of his built the front end, it's also got an engine cage supporting the coilover mounts. I didn't see this as the guy taking short cuts in the build, but just as a funding problem, also probably why the fabrication was done by him rather than going with camburg stuff. And Tbars, as for taking a stock explorer and throwing parts onto it, that's what i have right now :) Isn't that what the majority of people on here have?

I will remain wary of this thing as the weekend approaches, but i'd still like to know about extending the half shafts and whatever else i may need done for the 4wd. Thanks all.

...maybe i used that term to loosely...let me clarify...i am pretty sure you know how much i paid for my X...if not, that's ok...the point i was hoping to make is you can find a stock first gen 4x4 for cheap...my thinking was he found some parts and threw them on to get the price to 6000 bucks...:eek: ...now thats just throwing parts on for a quick sale...what he has got into that truck can not justify that price unless he bought the parts new and from someone reputable...;)
...as for your ride as well as many others who throw parts on, you didn't just throw parts on...you researched it out and have a fully operable truck that is worthy of driving with...your truck is 7 years newer and you could easily put another 2 grand in that '93 truck and it wouldn't be what you wanted...

...i hope you catch my drift...:D

Got it, you've got some good points. Thanks for clearing everything up. BTW, i don't know how much you paid for yours ;). But i sure am curious.

He told me he and a buddy of his built the front end

just remember that buying something like this means you are inheriting someone else's headache.

i know this for a fact since i bought my Explorer and i am still working out,fixing and re engineering some of the stuff the previous owner did to this Explorer:confused: but it's getting better:D

My guess is the rear isn't quite 4". I bet it's a warrior shackle and an aal, like many guys on here do.

It's a lot of money for a 93, but if you were to get a stock truck and put that front end on it, it would end up being a lot more than that. A 'prerunner' 4x4 isn't cheap to build even if you know people. Paul B's front end work was more than that whole truck is listed for. If getting the half shafts the right length isn't a chore or too expensive, it might be a good buy. It's got an extra set of tires with it too. He says offers, so offer what you think is fair if you like it when you see it.

Froader, that's the response i was hoping to get. :) It is, indeed, a shackle and add-a-leaf. The whole reason i haven't been considering a stocker is because of the money issue, i could never get anything close to this with what little money i have to spend. But what cybergasm stated above you is what's the scary part of this all. I still will most likely go check this thing out this weekend, just so i can see exactly what i could be getting myself into. He's sending me some more pictures via email too before then. And i don't plan to pay exaclty $6000, no one posting things for sale should expect to get their full asking price

Any car that is not on the lot will be buying someone else's problems. Even some brand new cars end up being lemons. You never know. It could be the best running explorer this site will ever see. Like you said, you just have to check it out.

I emailed Winter a link to this thread. Since he did Paul's, he should be able to answer all of your extended 4x4 related questions. He might not get to it until tomorrow though.

Thanks Froader, i was thinking Winter could give me some guidance, but wasn't sure how often he actually comes to the site.

...the only question i would ask then is, how much are you willing to put into it for the half shafts and gears...:scratch:
...honestly, i hope you aren't offended by my input...;)

...the only question i would ask then is, how much are you willing to put into it for the half shafts and gears...:scratch:
...honestly, i hope you aren't offended by my input...;)

Not. At. All. If anything, i'm glad i have people to give me answers to what i don't know and steer me in a good direction. Because God knows, without this site and its members i'd be lost. :p:

...wouldn't we all...;)

...i am pretty sure i seen this truck for sale at the beginning of summer on dr...when someone mentioned engine cage i remembered the pics in the link, but also the cage pic...

i'm glad i have people to give me answers to what i don't know and steer me in a good direction.
[jedimindtricks]buy my truck...[/jedimindtricks]

:p:

Hey Colin, on my way back home from checking out the explorer (probably Sunday), would you mind if i came by and looked at yours? Just in case i change my mind? :) I'll even return your trailer hitch, i'm sure you miss it after being w/o it for so long :p:. If Sunday's no good, there's always truckhaven in a few weeks.

not to post a link to a another board, but if you go to race-dezert 's forums and search the words "axle shafts" you can find most all the info your after about the shafts. Solo and the McNeils have ran spliced factory axle shafts and have had good luck.that would be the cheapest way and them camburg has some 2500 dollar 300m shafts...http://piconeengineering.com/ picone on race-dezert claims he knows where to get shafts at a fair price....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks canyoncritter, i'll look into that.

Today the seller emailed me the pictures as promised.
First, here's the truck, the rearend doesn't look ridiculously low in this pic...
TommysKTM008.jpg

Engine cage
TommysKTM004.jpg

TommysKTM003.jpg

Crossmember
TommysKTM002.jpg

And the beam/pumpkin
TommysKTM001.jpg

He also sent a few pictures of the interior, which looks to be in decent or better shape than expected. Depending on the price of extending the shafts, i would be willing to put that off for a while. I've been living ok with 2wd since now, so it's not critical to have 4wd, although the point of trading my mountaineer for something else is to get 4wd. I would hate to pass up a good deal though, if in fact this is a good one.

Back