Wierd problem pulling codes, 92 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wierd problem pulling codes, 92 XLT

Spartan

Reaction score
City, State
Sun Prairie WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT, 5.0 2WD
I've always had an issue with pulling codes on my truck since I bought it (2 years). When I pull codes (with a scan tool or even the paperclip method) I get absolutely NO codes. According to the scan tool, it enters diagnostic mode, asks for the brake pedal cycling, and then the accelerator goose test. After that, it gets stuck on the "retrieving codes" portion of the test, and does not progress at all. Using the paperclip method, it simply does not flash the CEL after that portion of the test. I have had a CEL in the past ( in the last month) flash on due to an unrelated issue, but still couldn't pull codes.

The only other issue that I can see that I have is a lack of OD, but I still have TC lockup.

Anybody run into anything remotely like this before? As far as I can tell, since the damn thing goes into diagnostic mode, it should be connected (as in no issues with wiring) to the EEC. I could really use some help with this.

I can't say I've seen that specific problem.

Will it run the KOEO test?

What happens if you ignore the "goose" test and see if it outputs codes?

I haven't tried to run a KOEO test in a while, but I believe the last time I checked, it ran fine. I didnt have any stored codes....

If I ignore the goose test, it does the same thing. If I ignore the BOO test, it does the same thing. If I don't do the two tests, at bare minimum I should have codes generated for the Brake switch and the TPS. Instead I get nothing. I will try a KOEO test tomorrow.

Back