1. to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews, discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

Will 2003 4.0 fit in a 2000?

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by bluestream1, February 28, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. bluestream1

bluestream1 Active Member

November 9, 2005
      City, State:
      Waterloo Ontario
      Year and Model:
      2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4X4
      I have a chance to buy a complete low miles 4.0 SOHC engine/transmission/transfer case for vey low dollars. If it will fit in my 2000, I will buy it for a spare.

Any issues here?
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

May 26, 2009
      City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year and Model:
      00 Sport FI,03 Limited V8
      Long block only

From what I've read on the forum (but don't know first hand) only the long block on the engine will be the same. The intake manifold, throttle body, etc. will be entirely different. I believe the transmission/transfer case will be transferable. It sounds like an excellent opportunity. I'm in the process right now of pulling my engine to replace my timing chains.