Will 5.0 Explorer PCM comply with mods? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will 5.0 Explorer PCM comply with mods?

Poboys 99

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer 5.0 AWD
New here thought I would post this in the modified section,
If you go too big on the exhaust you can kill some low end torque, I plan on the dual in single out, with a custom y section at the end of the tail for 2 tips or a Harley truck style tip. I wish the headers weren't such a fugly design. Torque masters= too much$ for me now, however a possibility in the future. My stang has AFR 165 heads steeda cam and Performer intake, I plan on stroking it to 347 with 185 heads, I wonder if the 165s with 1:7 roller rockers would work with the Explorer PCM , how about camming these engines, are there tuning devices like the Tweecer that need to be used? Sorry I have a lot of questions :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm moving your post to our computer forum.

the explorer OBD-II PCM can accomodate ALOT of mods without a tune
JTsmith was running his 347 with a stock computer up until recently.

my 96 has the TM headers, CAI, intake spacer, E cam, 1.6 RR, dual inlet single outlet muffler with 2.5" pipe

It runs like a bat out of hell, one day I will tune the computer however and fully take advantage of my breathing mods
Yes going too big on the exhaust with the V8 will lose you LOTS of low end torque.
2.5" single outlet is good for the truck, 2.75" would be great, 3" is too big unless you are heavy modded

Custom tuning will go along way with the stock computer. My truck is turbo charged running stock ECU. I also have tuned Jakee's turboed truck and numerous others on this forum. The stock computer can limit mods but only in stock form, tuned- it will make your mods shine.-j

New here thought I would post this in the modified section,
If you go too big on the exhaust you can kill some low end torque, I plan on the dual in single out, with a custom y section at the end of the tail for 2 tips or a Harley truck style tip. I wish the headers weren't such a fugly design. Torque masters= too much$ for me now, however a possibility in the future. My stang has AFR 165 heads steeda cam and Performer intake, I plan on stroking it to 347 with 185 heads, I wonder if the 165s with 1:7 roller rockers would work with the Explorer PCM , how about camming these engines, are there tuning devices like the Tweecer that need to be used? Sorry I have a lot of questions :D

The OBDII PCM is far ahead of the EECIV PCM for tuning. All of the special parts Mustang guys use for tuning and tricking the PCM, none of those are needed, including that tweecer. Jon did have a MAF adjuster to be able to run the 42# injectors without any tune, but he knew that it wasn't really right with that.

Think of the hundreds of dollars Mustang guys spend on parts related just to tuning, not engine or power. All of that money is saved, the PCM flasher(Excal) is the only thing needed for tuning. Plus the tuner(James) of course. Regards,

Thanks for replies. One of the first things I did was get an OBD11 code reader and to my relief it was all clear. Good to know the stock pcm is flexible to a point at least, if someone could post a link where I could read up on the Excal flasher I'd appreciate it :thumbsup:

Do check it out. I'm planning to eventually get my spare Explorer 302 into my 91 Mark VII. I plan to swap the OBDII into the car. I shall never use calibrated MAF's, boost retard ignitions, MAF adjusters, the tweecer, and the little stuff of old. The 96+ PCM can do all of that with the right program, for NA or turbo etc. Regards,

Nice heads. I've been running them on another car for some time. IMO, the best small block Ford heads made...period. And don't spend the money on 185's just yet. I think you'll be surprised how good the 165's are with the 347. Unless you go big on the cam and intake, I'm betting you the 165's will hold their own against the 185's. I think Richard Holdener pretty well proved that. But if you do need the bigger heads, send the 165's back to AFR. They can stick them in the CNC machine and turn them into 185's for a fraction of the cost of new ones. That company is flat amazing to work with. The fact they make the best product on the market is just a bonus.

does anyone have numbers on about how much low end you lose roughly?
i have a 5.0 and currently am running open manifolds-second cats deleted. :D :rolleyes: sounds like a bad ***** though :confused:

Back