• Register Today It's free!

Will a 98 Tailgate work

Yecker

Reaction score
City, State
North Henderson, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
Can someone tell me if a tailgate from a 98 work on my 95 if I change the taillights too?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes. You gotta wire in the license plate lights if you want to use the door to mount your plate. Other than that its a direct bolt on (with the tail light change).

Thanks Section525

dont' forget the 3rd brake light wiring

What's different about that?

And what about the window. Since it electrically operated?

Are you two hot-boxing your Explorers together? :D

#1. What is "hot-boxing"?

#2. I was just wondering for a futire "project"

#1. Its like running your car in the garage, door closed, windows open... till your eyes water and its hard to breathe.

#2. What do you mean the window is electronically operated?

the wiring has gotta be somewhat different, the 95-97 i woudl think has the florencence 3rd brake light, the 98+ have led's

I always thought the glass is the '98+ were unlatched by a button connected to electronics and such. Just like my parents '02. Little button right beside the lever to open the hatch that you push the pops the window. No mechanical stuff, just wires. See what I'm saying? Prolly not, but I'm tired and its 11 45. So i'm tired and woosy.

And you're thinking the have more wires going to one or the other?

Here's the story:
The '98 actually has one less wire going to it (which I think is better than having one more).

There's 11 wires in the harness. The 96 has all those 11 harness but a white/pur one. Instead it has a lt blue one. Also, the 96 harness has two teal/pur while the 98 only has one.

Originally posted by IAmTodd
I always thought the glass is the '98+ were unlatched by a button connected to electronics and such. Just like my parents '02. Little button right beside the lever to open the hatch that you push the pops the window. No mechanical stuff, just wires. See what I'm saying? Prolly not, but I'm tired and its 11 45. So i'm tired and woosy.
Yeah, the 98+s have no Caddy tricks like that. Sorry! :p

Back