Will these tires fit my stock B2? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will these tires fit my stock B2?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably not..

I have an 87 BII also. I have the same size tire on it as you have pictured ( 10.5/31s ), with 2" of suspension lift and 7 " rims, and they still scrub a little at times. If you put these on stock 5.5 " rims, you may get away with it, but I personally wouldn't advise it. Before I had the lift, I had 265/70s, which are approximately 29.5" tall and 10" wide. That is the MAXIMUM size I could get away with before the lift.

Sorry about the poor photos. I don't know if you can see the tape but these are less than 29.5" tall and less than 9" wide even though they read 31x10.5. This might sound stupid but will the tires change dimensions when they are mounted? Did you have your previous tires on stock wheels?

Maybe...

I had the 265s mounted on the 7" rims, not that factory 5.5". If the tire measures 29" unmounted, then you might be able to get away with it. The tire really won't change dimensions much when mounted. The inflation may make it a little bigger, but then the weight of the vehicle sort of counteracts that. I still would be a little leery of running that size tire with not lift, but if you know someone at a local shop who'll mount just one of them, have them do that and put it on the front. Turn the wheel left and right and see how your clearances are. That'd be cheaper than having the whole set mounted, just to realize you can't run them. Hope this helps.

Did they fit..?

Have you had a chance to get them mounted? How did they work out?

Most BIIs need 3" of lift or some fender trimming to run 31 x 10.50 tires even if they are undersized.

Depending on how much you care about the body, just clip the fenders a bit...

I havent mounted the tires yet. I will probably do it this week. Any advise on clipping the fenders? I wasnt decided if I was going to cut or not until today when I was backing down an icy trail and slid into a tree. Any advise on cutting? Am I going to have to cut both front and rear?

Most guys cut the fronts to the top of the wide spot in the flare, then down to between the two bolts that hold the fender to the body near the door. That will widen and raise the line enough to fit 31s. I'd get the tires mounted and see where you need to cut before I did the cutting though.

Rears might not need to be cut. I'd run the tires and see. On the Ranger, I stretched the rear fenders by breaking them loose from the mounting points, then adding new braces to hold them out farther. I'm not sure if that technique would work on a BII. It probably could, but it would require some more metal work in the wheel well area to pull it off.

You can see how I clipped mine on the Ranger shots below:

15014Fun_Steps.jpg

that is crap you dont need that much lift, get you some stock f150 spacers which are 1.5 inchs,and 2 inch blocks from pepboys(the prt numbers are her some where, tbars did this).and stuff those tires.i put 33's on my ol b2 with only 3" body lift.

I wouldn't say it's " crap "....as I said in my last post, I have the 2" spacers front and 2" blocks in rear with 31s, and they still rub a little at time. I use it off road some, and I havent had any serious problems from the slight rubbing, but they do in fact rub a little bit with the 2" lift. All vehicles are a little different, but I dare say you will need to lift a little, or trim a little to run a 31.

I finally got them mounted. Looks a lot better. If I were to stay on the street I would'nt have to cut but of course I plan on wheelin it so it needs a little trim first.
bronco030.jpg

I ran 30x9.5 on my BII stock with little to no rubbing

Looks nice :)

Mine rubs when I turn into my drive way and RUBS when flexed and RUBS if I steer while flexed.

i know this is old, but if i run a 15x8 with 31x10.50x15's and 4" of backspacing, will they fit on stock suspension?

will come very close, you may have to trim a bit of metal
4" back spacing is a bit much

crap i couldn't find any steelies with less backspacing.....

the 4" will likely work, 3.75" is standard

I have 15x10, 5 on 4.5" steelies with 3.75" backspacing, they are a very common wheel

Summit and Jegs said that they didnt have any steel wheels with a 3.75 back spacing......they only had the Cragars with 4" of BS...

Back