Winch Sizes. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winch Sizes.

slravene

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC (Home) / Raleigh, NC (School)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Im just wondering, what size winches is everyone running. I see alot of 9500s, 9000s, (maybe an 8000 would be enough?) Im just curious to see what sizes everyone chose, why you chose the size you did, how fast it spools, if you've ever had any issues with it, how you mounted them, etc. I think this thread could possibly contain alot of good information since i know that choosing and buying the correct winch can be a hard decision and could possibly be the difference between being stuck and moving on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a Warn XD9000i waiting to be installed in my front bumper once I design it. Generally you wanna go atleast 1.5x the weight of your truck.

go to a weigh station with all of your wheeling sh#t and you buddies in the truck the cooler etc... weigh the truck and multiply it by 1.5 and then there you go a general figure. You also need to look at the stalling speed if it is at 9000 on a 9k winch or if it is at say 11k on a 9k winch.

haha, i know all the rules about it. I just started this thread as more of an informative "whose got what" thread. Ive just been asked several times "how much weight do i need my winch to be?", "what kind of winch do i need", etc... I am actually looking at a Warn XD9000 as well. Keep the lists and information comming guys (not for me, but for anyone who might be unaware of the "winch rules") ;)

I've got a Warn M8000. I got it as gift a few years ago. It does alright. I've never had to use it to recover myself but i have used it for other things.

If you're going to use it when you are burried to the frame in mud and you aren't even close to getting out of the hole and it only gets worse, then this isn't the winch you need. This is more a help out when you're just spinning and not hung up. I've used to drag logs and things like that, and it's fine for that. I did have the line ran up a hill that was about 60 degree slope and i was pulling myself up for about 5 feet but it really started to drown, so i had to help it out.

For occasional use and general recovery it's good and it a cheap good winch.

when I get one, im planning on atleats a 10k milemarker or superwinch if not 12k. Ive been in situations when a 9.5k was groaning with me and I have freinds with fullsizes so id rather go with overkill than run the risk of not enough when you really need it.

You should be fine with a 9K winch. Hoover has been stuck in some muck a few times. The only issue we had winching him out was the weight or lack of on the winching vehicle. When you have a 2200 lb if that Toyota/Tracker hybrid winching a truck that weighs 2x the weight, the winching truck will start sliding. I too have seen this first hand, I was hi-centered on the torsion bar on a rock a few years ago, JDrapers 9K winch didn't do anything except drag his Zuki closer to me. When we hooked up ExplorerEB96 or Skunk's winch to me, we had no issues since the weight was very similar on both vehicles.

yes, and i know I would be fine with a 9k winch, however, my friends fullsizes or superdutys or wrangler on 38's would not. Id rather pay 150 more for that added security. Plus MORE POWER (ode to Tim The ToolMan)

I have a 01 Sport 4x4, and Warns 9.5ti on a mulitmount.. considering that it will pull the vehicle straight up a tree with 5 wraps on it, I'm not too concerned about not having enough pulling power.. AND if I don't, I always have a very nice snatch block and 3 chains in the back..

bump looking at getting 8500 or 9000lbs winch, amazon super winch 8500lbs is only $300

Dang....just over a month shy of a 8 year old thread brought back from the dead.

I've been running a Badlands 12k lb. winch from Harbor Freight for about three years now and it's worked awesome. $299 with coupon from just about anywhere for the winch. $399 regular

12,000lb Milemarker on mine. It was on my old F150, haven't had any problems pulling myself out with it.

I used my Ramsey 9000 to pull my self out while still hooked to the Suburban I was pulling out of a snow drift.

i too have a badlands winch on mine, only a 9000 tho but has worked flawless for me for about a year now. i think i was only 179 with a coupon and 20% off.

Back