Jackstand Wheeler
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Suwanee, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4x4
winches... warn or superwinch

ok.. i'm going to be adding a winch to my truck in the next few months. i was looking at the warn 9500 series or the 9000 series and the superwinch X9.
i know warn winches are great. the superwinch says its stall rating is 11,900 though, but i don't know much about them. they are a little less expensive but not a much. have any of you seen the superwinch in action? i want to buy once and not have to worry about anything.
just looking for some input.
any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do they both have the same features (like free rolling spool).? I would check that out...

I would choose the Warn, I have a XD9000i for my Explorer. The bad thing about the Milemarkers are the line speed, they are really slow compared to Warn under a load. Plus Warn has been in the business for a long time and has excellent customer service from what I have heard.

yeah since i wrote that first post.. i pushed milemarker out of the choices and added superwinch in. their X9 in particular.

i am definately going with at least 9000lb and will likely go with the warn. anyone have a superwinch or know anything about them? the claim to be the most widely used.

WARN=:)

is there any thing with mile marker ?? thats the brand i was thinking of getting( when i get oen Not for a whiel)

Thanx for the help

PEACE

The X9 is a good winch and it was one I was considering when I bought mine. They are rather inexpensive and are tough. The only thing I saw with them compared to Warn was the slower line speed that the X9 had.

thanks for the input guys. anyone else?

the x9 has a really nice stall rating but is slower.

the warn is a warn and is faster

i'll probably get the warn but i figured i'd ask since i've not seen the superwinch in action.

Is there a reason you're getting a 9k? My M8000 should be in the mail, i think that sould be plenty for an explorer don't you?

b/c its not much more $$. how much did you spend and where did you get your from?

I got mine off of lizardtrac from his buddies jeep. Comes with the roller fairlead, got it for 450. I see the same winch on ebay all the time for 459. I know the M series are a cheaper winch, but as much as i'll use it i will be fine.

What are the differences in the M series and the xi's and all those that everyone else is using?

the i means the solenoid is integrated.

HS is high speed. i dunno what XD is.. maybe extreme duty or something

Go with a high speed one. I have the Warn HS9500. I've got two runs and a half dozen pulls on it and wouldn't trade the speed for anything. It allows the person being winched to drive their vehicle to help the pull without worrying about overrunning the cable. The speed makes rewinding the cable after the pull much easier.

So JoshC the weasel got the winch!!!

Yeah i got it, i hope! He won't respond to his emails or PMs though. So we're trying to get it. It's my birthday gift, so i didn't get much of a choice in the style, but i'll be happy to just have a winch!

heh.. this forum was empty so i moved an offroad accessory thread to liven it up!

This should be a cool forum.

Did you decide on a winch yet? Mine should be here today so i'm going to try to get it mounted tonight.

What are you going to do for a winch mount.

yeh i'm going with the hs9500. i'm getting the guys in the shop here at work to bend/weld me up a plate that i can mount to the frame and behind the bumper. its gonna be hidden right now with a big cutout in the stock bumper. until i design a new bumper to build.. but that is months away.

Not trying to be nosey, but what kind of a price did you get on the winch?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anywhere from $750 to $900. i haven't bought it yet. i want to wait until the mount is finished. otherwise i have a pretty winch sitting there in a box. 4wp has a deal every once in a while where they offer winches at really low prices like $699 for this one. maybe they will do this again in the meantime. if not, i'll buy from the $750 place.

Back