Window does not open after key replacement on 89 Expedition | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Window does not open after key replacement on 89 Expedition

Serge1970

Reaction score
City, State
Princeton, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
Had a misfortune of losing my only key to the vehicle. Locksmith came out and reprogrammed the ignition for the new key. Now the driver side window rolls down on its own. I can use the window switch to role it up, but when it does not role down on its own, the switch cannot activate it. All other windows are functional.
I opened the panel to see if there are any obvious problems, lose wires, etc.. none found. Wonder if anyone else had similar problems and if the key replacement could be related.
Suggestions are welcomed.

Probably the master switch itself, not key related.

See the following pic of the bottom of the driver door master switch.

When it won't roll down, use a scrap of jumper wire (or multimeter in current measurement mode and set to 10A+ range) to short the 12V blue/black wire in the pic, to the brown/black wire. If it won't roll up, short 12V blue/black to white/black.

(Edit: I am only assuming this motor draws less than 10A, a jumper wire would be a safer bet than not blowing a 10A multimeter fuse.)

If pressing the switch doesn't work but shorting it does, the switch is bad.

Window Master Switch Wiring.JPG

Probably the master switch itself, not key related.

See the following pic of the bottom of the driver door master switch.

When it won't roll down, use a scrap of jumper wire (or multimeter in current measurement mode and set to 10A+ range) to short the 12V blue/black wire in the pic, to the brown/black wire. If it won't roll up, short 12V blue/black to white/black.

(Edit: I an only assuming this motor draws less than 120W, a jumper wire would be a safer bet than not blowing a 10A multimeter fuse.)

If pressing the switch doesn't work but shorting it does, the switch is bad.

View attachment 155676

Thank you very much! I will try that and report back.
Regards

Back