Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Window does not open after key replacement on 89 Expedition

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Serge1970, February 7, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Serge1970

Serge1970 New Member

City, State:
      Princeton, NJ
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1998 Explorer
      Had a misfortune of losing my only key to the vehicle. Locksmith came out and reprogrammed the ignition for the new key. Now the driver side window rolls down on its own. I can use the window switch to role it up, but when it does not role down on its own, the switch cannot activate it. All other windows are functional.
      I opened the panel to see if there are any obvious problems, lose wires, etc.. none found. Wonder if anyone else had similar problems and if the key replacement could be related.
      Suggestions are welcomed.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. J_C

J_C Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Florence, KY
      '98 XLT 4WD V6SOHC
      Probably the master switch itself, not key related.

See the following pic of the bottom of the driver door master switch.

When it won't roll down, use a scrap of jumper wire (or multimeter in current measurement mode and set to 10A+ range) to short the 12V blue/black wire in the pic, to the brown/black wire. If it won't roll up, short 12V blue/black to white/black.

(Edit: I am only assuming this motor draws less than 10A, a jumper wire would be a safer bet than not blowing a 10A multimeter fuse.)

If pressing the switch doesn't work but shorting it does, the switch is bad.

Window Master Switch Wiring.JPG

Last edited: February 8, 2018
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
    4. Serge1970

Serge1970 New Member

City, State:
      Princeton, NJ
      1998 Explorer

Thank you very much! I will try that and report back.
      Regards