Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Window Tinting

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorer Sport Tuning' started by JETZ, September 15, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    Tags:
    1. ToxDoc

ToxDoc New Member

City, State:
      White plat; 301A; moonroof; 2nd bucket/console; 20" pol wheels, tow, two-tone int
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2016 Ford Ex Limited
      I live in Arkansas. If google is correct, 10% is allowed on rear and back windows of SUVs, 25% for front windows.
      The tinting place is a highly regarded company in the area. Maybe the person I talked to was mistaken about the factory tint UV and heat protection on the Explorer?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. scarpi

scarpi Active Member

City, State:
      Phoenix AZ.
      2015 Explorer XLT 4wd
      I just got the front driver and passenger windows tinted in my new 2015. I got the lightest I could get and the tint place told me it was 35%. I live in Phoenix. It blocks a lot of the UV, keeps the vehicle cooler, and looks a little bit lighter than the other windows in the vehicle. I thought it was a good choice for me. In my opinion, I would not tint the windshield.

4. CorryBasler

CorryBasler Member

City, State:
      Goose Creek, SC
      2016 Ford Mustang GT 5.0
      Front windsheild is a no-go for any state as far as legally tinting it unless u just want that lame looking top strip done.

I know my state (Missouri) allows any darkness (I had 5% light coming in on my mustang) on the rear and rear side windows, and 35% light coming in on the front windows. And honestly 35% is pretty dark unless you have a bright light shining directly though it.

Though i know some states do not allow any aftermarket tint at all, no matter its darkness.

5. LukerDooker

LukerDooker Active Member

City, State:
      N.E.
      2013Limited 301A TuxBlack
      There is UV protection on the windows of the Ex, but no solar protection, the car will heat up like an oven no matter your tint, it just takes a bit longer with more tint.

Google 'solar tinting' and you will find plenty of info on that, and if you choose to do any solar tint, make sure you tint the sunroof.
      Top half of cabin, headliner roof area, sunglass holder, too hot to touch, & the sunglasses too!

There are posts on here and online about solar tinting, including the windshield.
      The shops that do this state up to 80% of the heat in the car during summer can be blocked by solar tinting.

The windshield is huge and I can feel the heat coming off the dash even with AC while driving - so I believe it. That and the sunroof could make a huge difference.

Its a clear layer thats applied and supposedly its 100% optically clear - no distortion, no bubbles, no weird reflections, no polarization effects, & undetectable.

Adding such a layer to the windshield is a big no-no but a shop will do it likely with a disclaimer you would sign. And possibly a shop isnt available in your state.

They use 3M films as well as other top quality brands, so the material is good, but the installation must be excellent.

Lets just remember one thing - the car sitting in the sun with a window shade and vented - its still going to be 125* in the cabin no matter what you do.
      ...and in winter, the car will stay cold longer...oh the irony...

...jeez never again black on black holy cow is it hot, even 2 or 3 hours later the seats are toasty warm. ;)

6. ToxDoc

ToxDoc New Member

City, State:
      White plat; 301A; moonroof; 2nd bucket/console; 20" pol wheels, tow, two-tone int
      2016 Ford Ex Limited
      Thank you lukerdooker. My car will sit out all day in a vast parking lot in the middle of Arkansas and they get hot! So it looks like I probably do want the whole vehicle done with a solar tint to help prevent some of the heat!
      I talked with Ford and they said the back windows prevent 98% of UV rays. I guess that's not preventing the solar and heat

7. cwescapexlt4x4

cwescapexlt4x4 Explorin' the Desert SW Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Litchfield Park, AZ area...
      2016 Explorer LTD (FWD)
      Here's the deal, it's a metal box and as such it's gonna get hot.
      That being said, I only did the front doors on mine (13%) and pretty close to the rears and unless you go REALLY light on the rears it's gonna get dark back there so be aware.
      The tint shop is "advising" but really upping their sale with you. I honestly wouldn't spend on the rears.
      [​IMG]

8. BlacKnight

BlacKnight New Member

City, State:
      Garland, TX (Home), Richardson, TX (Work)
      12 Explorer, 14 Focus ST
      I have had several vehicles with the factory privacy tint. Some of them I only had the front doors done, but on my old 2006 F150 King Ranch and my 2012 Explorer that replaced it, I did have additional tint added to the rears. I have noticed that it does feel cooler. I also use a custom fit sunshade when the vehicle is parked. I am thinking about adding the outside vent visors to help release more heat from the Explorer when it's parked.

Now, it could be just a psychological thing, but I plan on getting a laser thermometer to compare and verify if it really does help or not.

9. pup5581

pup5581 Active Member

'14 Explorer Sport
      MA legal is 35% all around..i am at 20-18% on the fronts....lucky for me i am good buddies with a statie....haven't had an issue yet and have passed TONS

10. cyaford

cyaford New Member

2016 Explorer Sport
      I had 20% put on the fronts of our 2016 Sport and it seems to be a perfect match. I tried to get the front windshield tinted with LLUMAR Air Blue 80, but had to abort due to the change in how the rear view mirror is attached. The tool he has used on other Fords didn't work on the '16. I made a post earlier this week asking if anyone knew how to remove the rear view mirror. Around 200 views and not one reply. lol I've had Air Blue 80 on other vehicles and the heat rejection is legit. Before, you couldn't leave your hand on the dash after the car was in the sun for a while. Afterwards, the dash was HOT, but you could leave your hand on it without cooking your flesh. lol 3M Crystalline is another good option for the front windshield.

11. ToxDoc

ToxDoc New Member

City, State:
      2016 Ford Ex Limited
      Thanks everyone. I go in today. I was considering AB80 or crystalline for the front windshield too. I hate to hear that there is an issue in applying it. I saw the post, but I sure don't know how to remove the rear view mirror.
      I don't want to go too dark on front windows that it affects vision/night vision. Maybe stick to 35%, 25% max..
      Still have to decide if tinting whole vehicle is worth the $

Last edited: August 8, 2015
    12. ToxDoc

ToxDoc New Member

City, State:
      2016 Ford Ex Limited
      Oh, any issues with AB 80 and night vision and weird glares etc?

13. cyaford

cyaford New Member

2016 Explorer Sport
      Haven't had any issues on any of the cars that I've had the AB80 on. I've read on other forums about some people complaining of starbursts after they had film put on their front windshield. Most seem to think it's an install issue. I've got it on my LS460, had it put on my mom's CX-5, and had it on 4 previously owned vehicles. No issues whatsoever, other than having slightly lower temps in the summer. If I can't figure out how to get the rear view mirror off of the Ex, I'll run by the dealer. Then I can schedule the install of the AB80.

14. ToxDoc

ToxDoc New Member

City, State:
      2016 Ford Ex Limited
      Thanks cyaford. The tint shop didn't have AB 80 or crystalline. I will wait to figure out what I'm doing for the windshield. I went with whole vehicle ceramic; 25% for front windows, 50% back and sunroof.

Last edited: August 8, 2015
    15. cwescapexlt4x4

City, State:
      2016 Explorer LTD (FWD)
      When I replace the windshield, I'll strongly consider full tint (clear) as the glass is so large and the dash gets so hot on my drives home heading west in the summer!

16. NJExplorerFan

NJExplorerFan Active Member

City, State:
      New Jersey
      2015 Limited
      I don't think there's a need to tint the back windows. You will have difficulty seeing at night going anywhere darker than the factory 20% tint. Even the 20% is hard to see. And if you tint the back, you'll have to go even darker on the driver/passenger front windows to match it, and then you really won't see in the dark.

With that said, I tinted my two front windows with 3M 20% tint (CS20) and I couldn't be happier. I've had it for years on my Mustang and I think it's the best tint on the planet. The 3M 20% is almost a perfect match looking in or out to the factory tint. I would NEVER tint the front windshield so I just put one of those sunshades for the windshield. You can buy them anywhere for about $9 and they do keep the heat out.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    17. ShiloJess

ShiloJess Member

2016 Explorer Sport
      Cost to Tint

Would any of my Canadian counter parts have any idea the dealer cost to tint the front two windows. I am looking at the %20 tint. Thank you

18. bobbyg1949

bobbyg1949 New Member

City, State:
      Charlotte, MI
      2001 Olds. Intrigue
      2016 Explorer Driver+Passenger Window Tint

We are going to order a 2016 Explorer in the next several days. My wife is interested in having the front driver/passenger windows tinted a little darker than normal. Does the factory do this? If so do you know the cost?

19. chazglenn3

chazglenn3 Active Member

City, State:
      Tacoma , WA
      2016 Explorer Platinum
      I doubt the factory will do a darker tint. Just have them done locally after you get the car.

20. wifes2011xlt

wifes2011xlt Active Member

City, State:
      IL/WI border
      2015 Limited (wife's)
      Does your state even allow you to tint your front windows. I know in IL, you can't do anything other than a light tint for the front.

21. bobbyg1949

bobbyg1949 New Member

City, State:
      Charlotte, MI
      2001 Olds. Intrigue
      window tint

In Michigan, it is legal if the tint is done at the factory. If not factory tinted not allowed by law.

22. BadHabit2Break

BadHabit2Break Member

City, State:
      Houston, Tx
      2015 Ford Explorer Sport
      you would have to ask your dealer. sometimes the dealership can do it if they offer the service.

23. cwescapexlt4x4

City, State:
      2016 Explorer LTD (FWD)
      Fronts will not come tinted, unlike the rear windows. Aftermarket tint is the way to go and depending on local state laws you can (or not) tint the fronts 20% to 35%
      (mine are 13%)
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
    25. saw it before

saw it before New Member

BWM 2004
      I think 20% of the front window is ok;)

26. Machine090767

Machine090767 Active Member

City, State:
      Minnesota
      2014 Explorer XLT
      No, 20% on the front window is not "OK" The factory dark tint is 25%.
      Don't give out bad Info just for your amusement.