Windows, gas gauge, radio not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Windows, gas gauge, radio not working

gdurso

Reaction score
City, State
suwanee, georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XL
My daughter has a 04 Explorer with 94,000 miles. She just told me her power windows, gas gauge, and radio all stopped working and her interior lights are randomly turning on.

I have searched a few forums for this problem with results ranging from fuse #17 to various relays etc. Any help on where to start and where this may lead would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same problem

HI, I am having the same problem with my windows, gas gauge and radio all quitting earlier this week. Have found anything out about the cause / problem?

Nothing for sure

Fuse 17 did blow which controls the delayed accessories such as windows, radio that stay on for a short period of time after shutting down the car, so check that fuse. We replaced the fuse and it lasted a few days and blew again. Had the car looked at by local repair shop with no cause found. They replaced the fuse again and checked for any crimped wires running through the driver door (a suggestion from this forum), but found nothing. The shop recommended taking to Ford dealership. FYI the fuse the shop put in on Thursday is still holding. I am afraid this is going to be a electronic gremlin thing. Good luck and post any results you may have.

I had problems with my windows getting stuck up or down a few months ago. but i didnt have the problem with my gas gauge or stereo. i was blowing fuses every couple days. turns out it was just a bad relay. now everything works fine. might wanna check into that before u spend a too much money. hope this helps. good luck!

same problem

I am having the same problem with my 04 explorer and have tried replacing fuse 17 but as soon as i do the fuse blows any more suggestions on what to chase down that could be causing that

Same issues here. Took the doors apart today to see if disconnecting the power windows would allow me to add the fuse #17 without blowinb but it popped immediately. Is there a short or is this a relay issue? Thanks for your help.

Still Unknown

I also looked for a short in the door but found nothing. The fuse will hold for says sometimes weeks and then will randomly blow. At this point we are just driving around with extra fuses until it acts more consistently and then can troubleshoot. Good Luck

my issue was the passenger side sun visor bracket had broke the held it up, and when anybody would pull it down to block the sun the visor would fall. Well it fell from the side where the wires went into it and that caused the wires to short out once i figured that out I ran new wires to everything overhead and put a new bracket in place to keep the visor from falling

Great information. My daughter was home from school this past week-end and I noticed her driver side sun visor bracket was broken exaclty the way you discribed your passenger side. I have to think somewhere in there lies the problem. Thanks for the heads up.

FYI I spoke to Ford about the visor and they acnkowledged it was a design issue that required replacing the entire visor for $110.00. Where able to buy just the bracket? If so where. Thanks again

I live in Indy and we have a junk yard here called pic a part where u take your tools and get what u need thats where i got the brackets at

I had the same problem the only diffrence was that number 17 fuse wasnt blown neither was the relay. The only thing i did was replaced the fuse anyways because it had some age on it and guess what it still didnt work... so i started thinking what could it be. I had an aftermarket dvd player, so i thought maybe something crossed and short circuited it but after taking it out still nothing.... so i disconnected the battery negative and what did you know it worked fine eversince... I dont understand why but it did.. so maybe if anyone else has had this problem like me try that its cheap and easy lol.

I am a happy man today. Thanks for the info Langdon. My problem was due to the same broken visor brackets. Now I just have to find new brackets. Gonna be nice to use the drive thru again.

About Visors

Both of my '05 Visors plastic pieces that hold them into the roof cracked and fell apart. Have passengers a lot, so use it all the time here in Florida. We bought used ones from the junk yard for $10 each! Visor and all! They have a plug in that we had to tug on to get out of the hole.

Fuse #17 Location??

Is this the fuse #17 located in the panel under the driver-side dash, or is it the one located in the engine compartment area?

Mike

Was this fuse #17 located on the panel under the driver-side dash, or is it the other panel located within the engine compartment area?

Mike

Fuse #17 in passenger compartment was blown and when I replaced it, everything was like new again! Windows, radio, and gas guage. Also, I noticed the visor was played with today and was jammed into the hole to hold it until replaced and noticed the wire was all twisted. So, problem solved. Thank you all ! :D

Thank god for your inside!

:yelexp:[/QUOTE] lANGDON THANKS MAN. IT WAS THE VISOR'S WIRES THAT WERE ALL MELTED CAUSING THE SHORT CIRCUIT. MUCH APPRECIATED!

When all my gauges quit, my automatic lights also no longer worked.Then it ended up with a dead battery. Guess I'm so used to the auto lights I left them on. When we tried to jump start it, I noticed my radio and gauges came on. But it was so dead we ended up replacing the battery which was only 5 months old and still under warranty thank goodness! The negative connector was very loose. With the new battery everything is working perfectly again! :thumbsup:

Howdy all,

I had the non-working fuel gauge, no power windows, no radio problem for several months. I would replace fuse 17 and all would be well for a couple of weeks.

Two weeks ago fuse 17 blew again, I couldn't put a new one in - the fuse would arc as I tired to replace it.

Used the suggestions from this forum to troubleshoot what the root cause was. First looked at the visor - not the problem after all (though a great suggestion! and I did check the wiring - saw no issues) Got tired of tearing my car apart so I took it to the auto repair and they figured it was bad electrical connection to the dome light (same circuit as visor).

$80 to look into and fix.

All is good now...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did a Google search to find this thread. What a savior this was. I just want to add to this that yes 17 was the bad fuse.

I was changing my plugs the other day and like a doo doo didn't disconnect my battery. I hit the + cable with a socket and made all my lights and other things mentioned here go bye bye. Even after changing the fuse, I had nothing. So I'm stumped...
Well, I took off both my cables on my battery and let it sit for 15 minutes, connected it back up, and it worked without a hitch.

Thanks!

Back