Windshield Wipers, Windows, Locks, Dom Light. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Windshield Wipers, Windows, Locks, Dom Light.

Diffendbecker

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer, 1999
Car: Ford Explorer, 1999.
Not working: Windshield Wipers, Windows, Locks, Dom Light.

I understand... Windows, Locks, Dom Light.... may be something with the wires in the door, but why windshield wipers? May be somebody had these problems?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum!
Have you checked your fuses?

Your Wipers also have two relays. (under hood fuse block)

Don't think that's related to the NO window, lock, dome though.

Open up the rubber boot in the drivers door jam and see if any wires have fatigued over time. Sounds like you have lost the ground.

doorboot2_zpsd8be9c34.jpg

doorboot22_zps05e0d032.jpg

Your Wipers also have two relays. (under hood fuse block)

Don't think that's related to the NO window, lock, dome though.

Open up the rubber boot in the drivers door jam and see if any wires have fatigued over time. Sounds like you have lost the ground.

doorboot2_zpsd8be9c34.jpg

doorboot22_zps05e0d032.jpg

Hi! I found only one relay on the diagram. (May be second one for back wipers?)

The rear wiper has two relays under hood, one up, and one for down.

The rear wiper will not work if the rear hatch or glass is open.

The rear wiper will also not work if the door ajar light is on.

The wire loom issue I described above is also a common issue for the rear hatch.

You have some more poking around to do.

Sounds to me that you have multiple probs. i.e the multi function (wiper/turn switch) as well as door switch/wiring/fuse/relay issues.

Take your time, trouble shoot one system at a time and you'll get it. saving the rear wiper for last.

The rear hatch has two "door ajar" switches one for the glass and one for the door.

here's a 99' power dist diag:

iagram-Ford-Explorer-2000-junction-box_zps6b89fa1b.gif

It may also be the GEM (generic electronics module)

It is located behind the stereo. (must pull the stereo)

Their is some debate about whether it requires reprogramming when replaced or not,
If you just can't find anything else wrong then I'd be looking into the GEM.

I'm not the foremost authority on second gen electrics either, not by a long shot.

Do some more searching on this forum for more info before you kill yourself over some dumb, dumb thing that I am unawares.

Has anyone figured this out because it just happened to me. It rained here severely last night so that may have contributed to it. My windows, wipers and dome light all failed to work today. I repeatedly clicked the drivers side dome switch about 10 - 15 times and just like that the problem stopped. This is in no way a solution but some wire somewhere is causing this. Not a fuse issue as I pulled and checked them. Anyone else have a real answer?
Edit: started and drove it the next day, problem started again. No windows no wipers no sunroof. I suspect the GEM but want some sort of verification from someone here. Help, anyone please.

Took the radio out and located the GEM module. Rapped on it with the handle of a screw driver and the dome lights and chime went on so I closed my window which was stuck open. Definitely the GEM module. Ordered one from eBay. Now here's the key to plug and play, the last 2 letters on the part number are the most important thing when getting a replacement. Mine was XL2T-14B205-BB.
there are many two letter combinations AA, BB, AB, etc. You cannot for example put a 4X4 GEM module in my 5.0 AWD as mine clearly states Sport Utility 4X2. The only reason to get it flashed at the dealer is if you got the wrong module for your truck.

Back