and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

winter is bad for your wheels?

Discussion in 'Ford Explorer - Ranger Tires & Wheels' started by 95offroadx, December 15, 2005.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 95offroadx

95offroadx Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Palmyra, Pa
      Year and Model:
      91 explorer xlt
      does snow and salt really ruin your wheels?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. tripsober

tripsober New Member

City, State:
      massachusetts
      Year and Model:
      97 explorer sport 4x4
      ya rims alot more then tires

4. JDraper

JDraper Somewhat Functional Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      McVeytown, PA
      Year and Model:
      '11 XLT
      Snow won't do squat to your rims..it's just frozen water...

However, salt and other contaminants can damage the finish and corrode the wheels. Your best bet is to make sure you have a good coat of wax on the rims and remove the salt as regularly as possible.

5. 95offroadx

95offroadx Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Palmyra, Pa
      Year and Model:
      91 explorer xlt
      i was just wondering why all the ricers change there wheels for winter, thanks

6. ExplorerDMB

ExplorerDMB Moderator/Technician Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Mechanicsville, Virginia
      Year and Model:
      2004 Acura TL
      I just bought my girlfriend some OEM 17" '03 Cobra wheels and we aren't putting them on til after winter because of the salt. We are keeping her stock wheels and tires for "winter" tread. i haven't had any problem with the snow/salt with my wheels, but I've seen wheels eaten up by it. Just take care of them and you'll be fine.

-Drew

7. EricM

EricM Member

City, State:
      Kansas City, MO
      Year and Model:
      '02 XLT
      I've had Cobra wheels through three winters, and the salt has never hurt them. I don't wax them, and wash it once every week or two. My '98 EB had aluminum wheels and made it through several winters without corroding, so why wouldn't these? I've never seen aluminum - even bare aluminum (and the Cobra wheels do have a clear coat) - rust. I'd be more worried about the chromed steel lug nuts rusting and then water coming off that and staining the finish if it just sat for a week or something.

I imagine the rice guys change wheels because super low profile tires have no wet/snow grip and offer little rim protection if you hit a curb.

8. ryf

ryf Active Member

City, State:
      Portsmouth, OH
      Year and Model:
      94 Explorer XLT 4x4
      I worked with a few ricers that switched them, I called them up, talked about it over beers, none mentioned traction or salt, since they wash the cars constantly anyway, the complaint I heard most was curbs & snow covered objects an aftermarket wheel thats $300+ (add another $100 for a good low profile tire), on ice, the replacement cost for 1 tire and wheel was higher than the total cost of a winter set that would last 2-3 years..

I believe the salty mush is actually the most harmful part, as boaters might understand about water+salt+aluminum+steel (all outboard motors have aluminum and steel parts) causes some sort of corrosion, Galvanic I think, so they use zinc ingots as sacrificial lambs to stop the reaction of more important dissimilar metals. most cars don't have anything like that, that I know of..

thats not "law" just what I think I remember.

9. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      Year and Model:
      1998 Mountaineer
      Salt won't ever "rust" aluminum. Nothing will, as it is non-ferrous. Salt will certainly corrode bare aluminum, and cleared wheels with chips in them. I've never seen an uncleared aluminum wheel. They wouldn't last year without getting white corrosion, and pitting. Salt and chrome don't go well together, but a good coat of wax, and frequently washing the salt off will keep them from rusting/pitting. Assuming it is a good chrome job, :)

10. greenmtnboy

greenmtnboy Active Member

City, State:
      North Clarendon, Vt
      Year and Model:
      1999 Ford F250
      I know from first hand experience that salt and sand will jack up your wheels over time. My factory alloys pitted around the lip where the tire bead sits and I developed a not so slow air leak. I had it fixed but after more time passed it just wasn't worth getting them fixed again, so I bought some steelies for my baby. If you end up buying after market wheels its best to save your old wheels or buy some cheapy steel wheels to run as a winter package, that way when they crap out no worries. Later - Nate.

11. Norad

Norad Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Edgecomb Maine
      Year and Model:
      1999 XLT
      All my buddies run thier stock steel rims with snow tires this time of year so they don't mess up their "bling" and race style tires