Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations | Page 24 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations

1010 Tires were great for me when I bought winter rims and tires for my Ford Fusion. Provided you don't have an Explorer sport (bigger brakes) and you are buying rims for winter use you can always go to a smaller rim size (and thus cheaper tires). That's what I did for my 2013 Explorer and will now use them on my 2016. If they are not for winters - disregard!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So after 20+ pages of reading im still unsure if 17" steelies will fit my 15 sport.

Looking at a set on ebay with the caps like the one Peter pictured earlier in the thread.

Anyone have any definite answers? Pics?

Thanks

17" take-offs from a base '14 Explorer fit my wife's '15 Limited just fine.

1010 Tires were great for me when I bought winter rims and tires for my Ford Fusion. Provided you don't have an Explorer sport (bigger brakes) and you are buying rims for winter use you can always go to a smaller rim size (and thus cheaper tires). That's what I did for my 2013 Explorer and will now use them on my 2016. If they are not for winters - disregard!
All Explorers have the same sized brakes as of mid 2013.
This has been mentioned in several threads.

Peter

We have 235/65R18 steel wheels for the winter tires on our 2013 Sport. The 17" rims did not fit over the brakes. We bought the steel rims, Blizzak tires and TPMS sensors from Ford. Ford's pricing was significantly lower than the other tire dealers in town and better than Tirerack (after shipping and exchange).

Bought the 18" steel Interceptor wheels from dealer.:) I paid $85 per wheel. Center cap was $60 each... Cooper WeatherMaster WSC tires 245/60R...$195 each and sensors another $69.....etc $1960 installed. May need new lugs..could be another $100.
But hey my Sport will look like a cop vehicle for 5 or6 months!!!:)

Just wanted to say thanks for all the good information. We just got a 2016 Explorer XLT and this thread has been extremely helpful in selecting winter tires and rims.

Finally settled on the 18" interceptor rims, $90 a rim (interesting enough had to be ordered in from the states from my dealer) and Blizzaks for the rubber.

Wife didn't like the centre caps so they are out for now.

Thanks again

Just wanted to say thanks for all the good information. We just got a 2016 Explorer XLT and this thread has been extremely helpful in selecting winter tires and rims.

Finally settled on the 18" interceptor rims, $90 a rim (interesting enough had to be ordered in from the states from my dealer) and Blizzaks for the rubber.

Wife didn't like the centre caps so they are out for now.

Thanks again
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
Happy to know that we, the members, were able to help.:thumbsup:
I have an appointment on the 29th to have my Winter setup installed and an oil change. I have the dealer store them.

Peter

so are the US steelies still significantly more expensive then the CDN ones? If so where is everyone ordering from? and I need to find the cheapest pretty decent winter tire. Winters arent too crazy here, so dont need the best of the best. thanks!`

so are the US steelies still significantly more expensive then the CDN ones? If so where is everyone ordering from? and I need to find the cheapest pretty decent winter tire. Winters arent too crazy here, so dont need the best of the best. thanks!`
If you are talking OEM steelies, the U.S. prices have been at least 3 times what the Canadian prices are since looked into the cost in 2011. I doubt they have changed much.
I suggest that you go to tirerack.com and check out the various tires and reviews there to find a tire suitable to your needs. Good luck.

Peter

Just picked up 4, 18" Steelies for my 15 sport. Discovery Ford in Burlington, good counterman gave them to me for $100 each. Will go with the cheaper caps, and they want $277 for the TPMS's. Is that a normal price for these?

I'm actually surprised by the quality of the finish on the wheels, but it seems it can be scratched with a fingernail, so it probably won't stand up too well over time.

The Ford dealer has 4 Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT's in 265/60/18 for 836 not counting taxes. And I'm also looking at Blizzak DM-V1's in 255/60/18, probably from Costco. The Goodyears seem to get a pretty good rating (albeit with a low milage count) from TheTireRack, but the Blizzaks are probably better. Both are very close in diameter to the 20" Hankook's. The Ford dealer could do everything for $1650 not including tax (and less the rims which I have).

Any opinions of the tire choices?

Cheers, Mark

22252389648_88e49a4287_c.jpg

22252389818_dde32e1544_z.jpg

I got the same 18" Interceptor wheels, centre caps, TPMS, 20 special wheel nuts to hold the caps and 235/60R18 Bridgestone DM-V1 tires balanced and installed last October for $1666.87 plus tax. Wheels were $88 each, caps were $20 each and it was $220 for the TPMS *12* kit. Tires were $215 each. Everything was bought through the dealer.

Peter

Mark

This is what I did, hope it helps.

I ordered 4 x DG1Z 1015 A rims from my Ford dealer today $84.95 each + 13% HST.
I have also ordered 4 x TPMS valves from Ebay around $90.00 shipped and
4 x Blizzak DM-V1 235x65-18 from Costco for $1042.67 taxes in.

When the tires come in at Costco, they will mount the tires on the rims and mount on the vehicle. Total cost around $1520.00 cnd taxes in.

Brian

Where are you guys getting these wheels from that cheap?? I have contacted Canadian dealers and I don't think they really want to do business over the border. Thats just the vibe I get. Anyone from the states have any good dealerships that will ship, preferably more to the east, like Montreal area, thats not too far from me

I just got my snows on today. "Interceptor rims" with the Blizzak DM-V2. It was just over 1500 including tax. No TPS, no centre cap.

That brings me to my question. I put the new tires on at home and went for a little test drive. After 15 Minutes of driving my TPS light was still off. I pulled over and shut the car off, restarted. Still no change. Drove 5 more minutes restarted again. Still no light on.

Does that make sense to anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Where are you guys getting these wheels from that cheap?? I have contacted Canadian dealers and I don't think they really want to do business over the border. Thats just the vibe I get. Anyone from the states have any good dealerships that will ship, preferably more to the east, like Montreal area, thats not too far from me
I don't know of any dealers here that will ship them. I know that some U.S. members have gone across the border at Windsor and bought the wheels directly from a Ford dealership. No issues going back across. The irony in all this is that one Canadian member was told that the dealer was out of stock and would have to order the Interceptor wheels....from the States.

Peter

I don't know of any dealers here that will ship them. I know that some U.S. members have gone across the border at Windsor and bought the wheels directly from a Ford dealership. No issues going back across. The irony in all this is that one Canadian member was told that the dealer was out of stock and would have to order the Interceptor wheels....from the States.

Peter

My dealer original quoted me $118 but after calling around they priced matched another dealer that quotes me $90. They took a week to come because they had to be brought in from the US. Seems very strange that we would pay less even when they are coming from across the border.

The plot thickens......

I just got my snows on today. "Interceptor rims" with the Blizzak DM-V2. It was just over 1500 including tax. No TPS, no centre cap.

That brings me to my question. I put the new tires on at home and went for a little test drive. After 15 Minutes of driving my TPS light was still off. I pulled over and shut the car off, restarted. Still no change. Drove 5 more minutes restarted again. Still no light on.

Does that make sense to anyone?

Thanks in advance.

On my 2011, my winter tires do not have the TPMS. Very often the low pressure light doesn't come on for a good half hour after I've been driving.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My dealer original quoted me $118 but after calling around they priced matched another dealer that quotes me $90. They took a week to come because they had to be brought in from the US. Seems very strange that we would pay less even when they are coming from across the border.

Probably because the one of the parts depot is in the US. IMHO, the Canadian pricing is so much lower because it's a more competitive market for winter rims and tires. Here in the US, it's much less.

Surprisingly I had to replace an alloy rim on my 2011. It was only $199. I expected to pay about $400.

Back