How to: - Wire in Factory Sub to Aftermarket Stereo | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Wire in Factory Sub to Aftermarket Stereo

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
WELL after working with the butchered wires in the back that were taken off to wire a different amp up so i could run a sub since i didn't know you could do this i figured it all out put the wires where they needed to be hooked it up and BOOM BOOM crackle crackle BOOM BOOM.... i looked at the sub and it is COMPLETELY dry rotted WOO! so umm it works haahha but anyone know the specs on the amp and or the sub?? so i can buy a new sub to help with my midtones in my truck...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm trying this on my 02 Mountaineer when I get off work

Didn't work for me :(

I have a Pioneer Super Tuner III unit that I tried hooking into my '92 Explorer XLT. I used the wiring harness from Wal-Mart (Schoche?) and thought I had everything hooked up right. Radio powers on but no sound- at all. Not even white noise when I turn the volume all the way up.

This is a basic Explorer, not an Eddie Bauer or other limited edition. I don't know if it has a factory amp or not. Right now I'm very dissappointed in not being able to get the radio to work. My factory unit quit working so I am trying to replace it. When I hit the power button it did nothing. If I held in the power button for 2 seconds the digital display would light up with all the lights for about a second and then go blank again.

I do not know if I need a code for my radio to work properly or not- it is about 7 or 8 years old but the display comes on and everything else works. The radio registers a signal (shows the double circle symbol on FM tuning) so the antenna is getting a signal. I am flumoxed at what could be the problem.

I've checked all the fuses and have not found any bad fuses. Am I missing something somewhere?

Please help!!!:(

Help!

I have an 02 Eddie Bauer with the audiophile system. I recently bought a JVC in dash dvd. I want to wire up my stock sub/amp from the audiophile system, any suggestions??

ok so i have the 96 with the jbl system and sub. and to add a deck to my truck i ahve to go take the panel off the bakc and mess around with that amp correcT? i cant jsut wire the deck in like a regulre one? i have to go and start hacking away at other places

I have an 02 Eddie Bauer with the audiophile system. I recently bought a JVC in dash dvd. I want to wire up my stock sub/amp from the audiophile system, any suggestions??

I just put an Eclipse in my dash (02 eddie bauer too), and found the 4 wire sub woofer plug. I have one wire that is switched, another that is a bare wire and the other two don;t test any voltage... one could be ground. I did not mess with it too long.

Does anyone have the wire diagram for an 2002 subwoofer plug that goes into the back of the radio? I'd like to know which is +/- and which are signal wires. thanks

I decided to just go with new amps. I pulled the facotry sub and was surprised to see the factory sub was a dual voice coil 8 inch sub. I was going to replace it with an old eclipse sub I had, but am now thinking the factory sub might jam just fine with a little more snot behind it. I'll also add a sub box, but if I need to pull the box out, at least I'll have the factory sub. For those of you who plan to use a different amp on the factory sub... the voice coils are 1.2ohms. You'll need to run them in series or separated for most amps out there.

I just bought a new HU and want to hook it up this weekend. I currently have the factory amp and sub. Will be changing it out later when the weather is warmer. Anyway I got my stuff from Crutchfield and I started looking at the wiring diagrams to hook up to the factory sub. seen here:

plug.jpg

So what do I connect the blue/white amp turn on wire to? switched 12V from the truck? or to pwr antenna from the HU? and what do I hook the Amp ground (Black/white) on the 4 pin plug to? do I hook the one on the 4 pin to the amp ground on the main plug?

Brenden

figured it out..... answered all my own ?'s :)

Just added a ne HU to my girl's 02 Mountaineer. Here are the connections that worked for me.

Cut the 8 pin 4 wire connector off. You are left with a Red/black, Lt Blue/Red, Brown/Orange, and bare.

New HU amp wire (blue/white) connects to Red/Black
Positive RCA/speaker wire connects to Lt Blue/Red
Negative RCA/Speaker wire connects to Brown Orange
Bare is unused

Another note, I stopped by radio shack looking for 2.3k resistors. They had none so I settled for 1k and 3.3k. The 3.3k took the pop away but also too much power (the amp would not work). With the 1k the pop was still there but the amp worked.

Maybe someone can explain to me what the voltage drop is across the 1k and how they got that. Furthest I get is:

I=E/R
=12/1000
I=.012amps

Just added a ne HU to my girl's 02 Mountaineer. Here are the connections that worked for me.

Cut the 8 pin 4 wire connector off. You are left with a Red/black, Lt Blue/Red, Brown/Orange, and bare.

New HU amp wire (blue/white) connects to Red/Black
Positive RCA/speaker wire connects to Lt Blue/Red
Negative RCA/Speaker wire connects to Brown Orange
Bare is unused

Another note, I stopped by radio shack looking for 2.3k resistors. They had none so I settled for 1k and 3.3k. The 3.3k took the pop away but also too much power (the amp would not work). With the 1k the pop was still there but the amp worked.

Maybe someone can explain to me what the voltage drop is across the 1k and how they got that. Furthest I get is:

I=E/R
=12/1000
I=.012amps

I think it is a 5 volt regulator you need for your switched power to your amp.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...ulator&kw=voltage+regulator&parentPage=search

my four wires were : switched power, ground, positive RCA, negative RCA. you have an unused wire.... is that a ground??

I think it is a 5 volt regulator you need for your switched power to your amp.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...ulator&kw=voltage+regulator&parentPage=search

That is absolutely correct. MUCH better than a resister. But if you really want to do it right, here's what you need:

http://www.sminntech.com/techai.html

This is what the regulator manufacturer recommends and eliminates all oscillations...which we all know is bad. All components necessary to build this circuit are available from Radio Shack...cheap.

New amp now the radio will not work!!!

I replaced my sub amp, following the directions contained in the previous threads, battery was disconnected and now my radio will not work. The lights come on but the display will not and no sound. I checked all of the fuses, they are ok, what else can I do?:(

figured it out..... answered all my own ?'s :)

What ARE the answers? ;)

I'm getting ready to do the same thing in a couple of days when my stuff arrives from Crutchfield - replace head, use all factory speakers including the rear SUB.

Did you get the Crutchfield pigtail adaptor harnesses? If so, did they work as supposed to?

Thanks for any input.

CMOS

CMOS, what year vehicle and sound system do you have? Mine was a very simple install. Quite a bit of work, but simple.

CMOS, what year vehicle and sound system do you have? Mine was a very simple install. Quite a bit of work, but simple.

Cobra,

2001 ST. It's the Audiophile System with the sub (and AMP) behind the rear seat.

Shouldn't be too bad. I'm mostly curious if that Crutchfield harness will adapt the SUB properly. I'm assuming that since the AMP is in the rear that the factory head has a passive SUB output already. Yes?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

CMOS

PS: I'm an electronic tech by trade (before I got demoted to Management...) so if I have a basic understanding I should be able to slop through this.

Okay, I did the install on my Alpine from Crutchfield last night. The hardest part was getting the old factory head unit out. DIN tools didn't cut it. I had to remove the entire radio/AC controls bezel cover to get it out. After that, things moved well.

I soldered all wires from the Alpine to the Crutchfield pigtail harnesses. The only wires "left over" after I matched the wire functions were 2 wires, one each, on the Crutchfield pigtails labeled "Amplifier Ground". This function was not mentioned in the Alpine schematic, so I simply grounded both of these to chassis ground.

Everything worked from the get-go. Sounds much better, even still using all the factory speakers. The only issue left is a good POP from the SUB when I power up the head. It's my understanding that the factory head outputs a 5V Remote signal but the Alpine puts out a 12V Remote. I'll have to add a 5V Regulator & delay circuit this weekend sometime. This should take care of the POP.

CMOS :thumbsup:

UPDATE:

I installed a 5V regulator circuit in the cable (behind the back seat) that goes to the SUB Amplfier. No more pop at all. Silky smooth turn-on.

CMOS:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I as well just installed a pioneer deh-p4900ib in my mounty this afternoon. I must say that I hate the stock ford radio's which have that infamous feature in which you turn the radio up an the bass goes bye-bye. The stock sub sounds better but the stock speakers sound much much better. Soon as I can there will be a 4 channel amp and some form of better sub in the thing. The sub is quite limited.

Install was done via Scosche dash kit from walmart ($8 or $9 bucks) and the wiring harness that I needed for my 2003 mountaineer with audiophile could not be found just anywhere. Walmart, circuit city, best buy and 2 car toys didn't have the metra 70-5517 premium sound harness that was needed to integrate the stock subs/amp to the aftermarket radio. Once you have that harness though it's easy going for anybody the only problem I have is the popping that everyone else is describing. I shall fix that when I decide to remove the rear panel.

Back