• Register Today It's free!

Wires on Starter Relay??

skfury440

Reaction score
City, State
Goodnews Bay, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
'86 Bronco II
Hey everybody I was having problems with my starter relay. With the battery cables on, the starter would engage with the keys still in my pocket. So I went and bought a new one but forgot to take note which wires went on with the positive battery cable and what wires went on to the starter cable side. I fiddled around with different configurations enough to get it to crank only with the key but now I get no fuel...could these 2 things be related? This is on an '86 Bronco II 2.9EFI. Can anybody post a picture of how their starter relay looks when properly assembled? Thanks and have a great day!

Sorry, I don't have a picture for 86. This is an 89 BII- maybe it will help, maybe not.

Keep in mind that your original problem could have also been ignition switch related and now you have changed the relay wiring enough to make it seem to work. High miles Ford ignition switches do not have a stellar reliability record.

For the fuel pump problem (assuming that it not related to the ignition switch), I would check the fuses and relays in the underhood Power Distribution Box and the Inertia Safety Switch above the passenger side footwell.

89_starter_relay.gif

Back