How to: - Speaker enclosure fabrication - WorkLog - 2 challenges 3 & 7. Just for Fun, Nothing Fancy!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Speaker enclosure fabrication - WorkLog - 2 challenges 3 & 7. Just for Fun, Nothing Fancy!!

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

BBQ_HotDogs

A Man Without Wheels
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer (R.I.P.)
Well I am installing an Alpine 7998, Alpine EQ, DVD Player, 6 Disk Changer, XM, 4 Alpine Amps, 2 pairs of Boston Z6's, and 2 Boston 12.5 ProSeries Subs with a custom sub/amp box. Here is the beginning Enjoy!!!
Pictures are dated March 3, 2004
Passenger's Door Panel after some light glas work and sanding.
215123-3Passenger_sDoorPanel.JPG

Driver's Door Panel after some light glas work and sanding.
215123-3Driver_s_DoorPanel.JPG

Radio Bezel with an Alpine ERA-G320 EQ already custom installed.
215123-6RadioBezel.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More work done now. Getting redy to begin an installation.
Pictures are dated March 6, 2004
More door work in next 2 pictures.

215123-6Driver_sDoorPanel.JPG

215123-6Passenger_sDoorPanel.JPG

View from the cargo area to the front.
215123-9RearCargoShot.JPG

Seats are all removed now and the Dyno Mat is being applied.
215123-12Driver_sDoorDyno-Matted.JPG

All doors have been dyno-matted.
215123-12RearCargoShot.JPG

What a mess. New carpet has been ordered.
http://www.explorerforum.com/data/503/215123-13CargoAreaView.JPG

Ah, we need that extra power. Here is my new 200 amp alternator that I got from www.mralternator.com
215123-13200AmpAlternator2.JPG

Another view.
215123-13200AmpAlternator.JPG

Well the doors are dyno-matted. I wonder what's next?

215123-13Driver_sSideDoorsDyno-Matted.JPG

215123-13CabView.JPG

More pics coming later this week. Am I putting too many pics on 1 page?

Originally posted by BBQ_HotDogs
More pics coming later this week. Am I putting too many pics on 1 page?

na...the more the better :)

you want all this stuff and your like 40-something years old??? man i wish my dad was like that lol. Whats the reason for fiberglassing the doors?

You officially have the heaviest doors of any X I have heard of!!:D

Nice Work! Keep it up!!;)

what is the purpose of doing the doors like that? just for looks? or an acoustic thing?

And yes, I would have you as my dad any day of the week too.... I could leech audio equipment off you.

We need to have a showdown... 2 vs 3 vs 7... it would probably be 1st - typhoon,2nd bbq, and i'll round out the rear... however then you have hartman's setup. No clue were he would fit in the mix.

Ahh, lots of door questions. Well I wanted a custom fit with the Boston Z6's and not just a hole in the door. The main doors were matted for accoustics of course. Also there are the beautiful Boston cross-overs that I hope to show. But we will see. They are to work on removing the "humps" out of the doors, tht is the part that catches all the trash, umbrellas, and anything else you can think of that may slide in there, especially dead bugs. LOL.
you want all this stuff and your like 40-something years old??? man i wish my dad was like that lol.
This is the best compliment ever, :) I will be 49 on Saturday. LOL. This is my birthday present to myself. It should have been my Valentines present, but they didn't make it.

You officially have the heaviest doors of any X I have heard of!!
When I am done, I won't have to worry about some young wipper snapper blowing them off with a ricer. LOL.

looks good-

i'm gonna be posting my 2 (plus a bunch of other stuff) beats all thread soon enough

i really hope they do something more intense to the doors- i still can't believe someone just wrapped the stock contour initially. for the kind of money your paying they ought to be doing something great.

are you going with stock color carpet?

are you going with stock color carpet?
Yes, staying with the tan carpet. I wanted to go with red, but just couldn't take the chance on fade, especially in a SUV. I will also be tinting me glass some more. I will tint over the factory tint and stripping the front doors and re-tinting those to make it darker. I don't want anyone looking in the rear at all, and the front 2 doors will be as dark as legally possible here in Texas, which isn't too dark, so I may push the envelope on those. The way around the state inspection is to roll the windows down and pull the fuse for the P/W so they can't be rolled up. LOL, I hate that though, but I don't want it to get stolen. But like I have said, the first stop after this is all done is by the insurance agents office for pics and estimates to make sure my coverage is up to par, just in case. They HAVE to do something to the doors, I just don't know what they have in mind. I am letting it be an installer's choice on some things, but also my choice on many others. Especially with that first box they fabbed, I didn't like that taking up the whole rear end just for 2 subs. It is also still not out of the picture as far as going with another sub and amp. Even though I really beleive that these 2 subs with the power I am running, will sound far better than allot of vehicles with 10 subs, LOL no pun intended.

So in all honesty, I should NOT add a 10.5 sub to this picture, right? If I add another sub it should be the same sub as I already have? Why? Why not add another Boston 2 ohm sub that is 1 size smaller? The 10.5 I know is sitting on a shelf discounted at a great price. LOL, too tempting for me right now. Explain why I should not add it.

you could add a 10.5 if you have a crossover network to support it, or enough oher external control (x-over and seperate amp) to support it. i wouldn't worry about it at all if i were yoiu though.

Digital timing

If you're going to move one sub away from the others, digital timing becomes even more of an issue. Make sure your electronics can handle/offer that feature. I know it's nit-picky, but could help quite a bit.
BTW, I dynamatted my doors and put mid-drivers in the stock locations, but everything in there rattles like hell now. So make sure the speakers (whatever's in that area) gets a small pod so the sound doesn't resonate throughout the entire door and all the innards. (sounds like crap)
3661passenger_side_kickpanel.jpg

Keep the pics coming. Glad to see they're getting somewhere.
Karl

That is one of the reasons for the door build up with fiberglas. I also bought a pair of those kick panels from ExplorerExpress because I was going with 3 540 amps, and 3 pairs of Boston Z6's, but the tweeters would not fit. So I had to cut the 3rd pair of Z6's out and return them. I did not have the amp yet. But I am still tossing around the aspect of putting in a 3rd sub mounted in the rear with the other 2 along with another MRD-500 mono amp. The HU, an Alpine 7998 has this digital timing stuff that yall are talking about. It has 6-channel ditial time correction, 6-position 12db/octave crossover, subwoofer level control with phase selector, 5 band parametric EQ, 4 volt subwoofer preout, 3 preouts, and plays all cd's. So I got some bang for my buck on that one for sure. Another feature that I like is that I can program it with a disk from my computer so I once I find the correct settings, I can burn a disk and never loose them again.

More pictures taken today.
Here is the new amp rack being built.
215123-17NewAmpRack.JPG

Side view of new amp rack with 1 sub in it.
215123-17SubInBox.JPG

Boston 12.5 ProSeries Sub.
215123-17Sub.JPG

Corner shot of new amp rack without sub.
215123-17AmpRack.JPG

A couple of pics shot from the rear of the vehicle. There is the power team just waiting on some volts.
215123-17RearView.JPG

215123-17RearView_1_.JPG

Seats in the waiting room I may pick these up and give them a good cleaning while I can and also have the carpet all changed to new while they are out.

Rear Seats
215123-17RearSeats1.JPG

Front Bucket seats.
215123-17FrontSeats.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Console stripped and gutted.
215123-17EmptyConsole.JPG

Rear of Console.
215123-17Dash.JPG

The Dash dug into. Too many wires. LOL.
215123-17Console.JPG

Back