Worklog: 7 beats 3... NOT as cool as typhoons | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Worklog: 7 beats 3... NOT as cool as typhoons

Originally posted by Hartman
Simple solution: do your own woodwork!

Are you sure you want to undertake a project this big?

If he had let me just use his tools, I would have. I dont have any of my own, and I dont think he was crazy about letting me loose in his shop.

The project is already started, no turning back now. Only 4 medium sized pieces need to be cut for all the pieces to be done. Then it is just screwing them together. Then making the sub rings, mounting those and then the fiberglass. It will get done one way or another.

The box weighs a ton... I probably added .5 seconds to my 1/4 mile time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

He wouldn't just square it off.... arg.

You by no means want it "squared" off. That would not look neat at all. It would be kind of amatuerish if you ask me. That was what I was scared off. I thought I wa getting a box facing the rear until I seen what the new guy started. still don't know about this set-up using the whole rear end for stereo. I needed a spot for at least my golf clubs.

Originally posted by BBQ_HotDogs
I needed a spot for at least my golf clubs.

stereos more important...use the back seat =) hehe

also why is he helping u build ur box at all hydroxy?

are u paying him?

BBQ, I'm actually very surprised that you are taking up as much space as you are for subs. You seem to be a genuwine music connaisseur, and not soley interested in just rattling parts loose. A lot of SQ installs revolve around a single driver in a midsized sealed enclosure. Most of the effort in a SQ setup, is focused on mid/tweeter placement and staging. I honestly think you would have been very happy with a single sub enclosure with a nice amp rack built in. This would have left you with a lot more space. But theres no doubt the system you are building is going to be amazing and sound better than being live at MSG, I was just thinking you could have made out with a smaller sub setup and left yourself with more room. :)

well the squared off part could only be seen if the seats are folded down. It would be squared off in the front anyways, but that will be covered w/ fiberglass.

He was helping me because he is a friend.

good day...

Went to boominXplorer's place today... was suppose to get there at 10... stupid phone was on vibrate so I didn't hear the alarm go off.. ended up getting there around 1:30 (he lives 50 min away). Worked till 9:20 or so. Going back tomorrow to finish up everything.

Anyways... got the last pieces cut, liquid nailed + screwed + LOTS of bondo everything together. Came out pretty good I think. Tell me what you think.

10058Picture_157_Large_.jpg

10058Picture_158_Large_.jpg

10058Picture_159_Large_.jpg

I think chris will never offer to do fiberglass work for me ever again :p His new mounty is a nice piece tho. I wouldn't mind one anyday.

It looks like the subs will be lacking a little airspace?

Originally posted by Hartman
It looks like the subs will be lacking a little airspace?

Well the top section in the middle (3 subs) is almost the exact airspace of the box that they came out of. It is like within .1 cu^3. Then the sides are about 1.8 cu^3 for 2 subs and these subs need about .8 or so each so thats gonna be very close. Gotta remember that airspace will be added to the sides because of the fiberglass coming out wide.

All in all its coming along decent with no major injuries so thats always a plus:p

thats definatly going to look very cool in the back of your truck :D

got just about all the fiberglassing done today. Gotta put another small layer on tomorrow then bondo the thing like no other. Looks really really nice sitting in the back. It left some beauty marks in the interior when we were trying to fit it in, but I guess that is the price you pay.

For Sale: Sub box for 3 10" subs

You got all the fiberglassing done in one day? How many layers did you lay down?

Only 1 layer... I'm adding a 2nd layer tomorrow over certain sections.

time for more pictures, i want to see glass getting laid! ;)

Originally posted by jimabena74
time for more pictures, i want to see glass getting laid! ;)

Chris (boominXplorer) needs to send me the pictures. I came home and slept for 5 hours (kicking a keg till 3am and then getting up at 9am to do work leaves on in an unrested state...) and when I woke up he wasn't online anymore... I'll have to get them tomorrow. I have some sneak-preview shots tho. I'll post them in a minute.

here is the one pic I have so far... I'll get more tomorrow.
10058Picture0081.jpg

Starting to come together. I like it!
I would try and go a little heavier on that glass man. 2 layers would scare the piss out of me. We did 4 all over and 5 in certain spots on mine. I'd just ahte to see that thing come out so pretty, just to be stress cracked later on.

More pics!!

that looks crazy! youre gonna open the back and itll just be like woah. heh well something like that ;)

Originally posted by typhoon43
Starting to come together. I like it!
I would try and go a little heavier on that glass man. 2 layers would scare the piss out of me. We did 4 all over and 5 in certain spots on mine. I'd just ahte to see that thing come out so pretty, just to be stress cracked later on.

More pics!!

Well a lotta the places the fiberglass is, are < 5" wide. I'm definetly adding a 2nd layer to most places, however I think the only place that will need more then that is the top, simply because it is so long and wide.

I would have done the fiberglassing today, however I couldn't find someone to help me get it outta my truck. Who woulda thought that would be the limiting factor??

Got pics...
10058Picture_001_Large_.jpg

10058Picture_002_Large_.jpg

10058Picture_003_Large_.jpg

10058Picture_004_Large_.jpg

10058Picture_005_Large_.jpg

10058Picture_006_Large_.jpg

10058Picture_007_Large_.jpg

10058Picture_013_Large_.jpg

10058Picture_011_Large_.jpg

10058Picture_010_Large_.jpg

10058Picture_009_Large_.jpg

10058Picture_008_Large_.jpg

10058Picture_014_Large_.jpg

10058Picture_015_Large_.jpg

10058Picture_016_Large_.jpg

10058Picture_017_Large_.jpg

10058Picture_018_Large_.jpg

10058Picture_019_Large_.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like it is going great!..

But the real question: Has anyone asked why you have a monster/alein in the back of your explorer? :D

Back