Worklog: 7 beats 3... NOT as cool as typhoons | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Worklog: 7 beats 3... NOT as cool as typhoons

Oh yea... one more thing. If you dont have a power inverter... get one. They are one of the most useful things on the planet. Right now I have to do all this work in a huge a$$ parking lot with no power outlets anywhere near it. Without my power inverter, none of this would have been possible. You can see the cables going into my truck. You might say that I could just get battery powered stuff, but not when I do 6 or 7 hours of work straight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Man I give you props for doing all that in a parking lot.

Hartman said:
Man I give you props for doing all that in a parking lot.

It has actually been good... I've had 4 different cops stop by and ask me "wtf are you doing?"... two of them said they are going to pull me over sometime when it is done so that they can hear it. Which is actually good, because if they pull me over any other time, I can be like "hey, you wanna hear the subs?"

I also have about 5 people each day drive by and I hear "what the f%*$ is that huge thing".

Update: Today I got about 99% of the fiberglass done, and started covering it in bondo. Getting this thing smooth is going to be HARD. and I'm going to have to do a LOT by hand on some of curves. I'll have pics up in a little bit.

that is looking good dude..really taking shape

Well I got all my subs/amps here now. Hopefully by next weekend this thing will be bumping. I still have to test one of the amps to see if it works. The bondo work is coming along REALLY slow. I need a better sander.. that is all there is to it.
100_3128%20(Medium).JPG

100_3131%20(Medium).JPG

100_3133%20(Medium).JPG

100_3132%20(Medium).JPG

Yeah , I'm pretty sure I just had an ******* with seeing all that layed out :)

DA Sander man....... get one before you go insane. I wouldn't touch that enclosure of yours for nothing. Sooooooooo many angles. It's going to be sweet when it's done, but getting that thing finished looks like my worst nightmare.
Good luck!

Awesome, AWESOME project! Wow! :eek:

I just saw the part where you were standing on top of it. You sir have got some balls! LOL!

So how do you go about cleaning all that stuff off of the parking lot?

X~FACTOR said:
Awesome, AWESOME project! Wow! :eek:

I just saw the part where you were standing on top of it. You sir have got some balls! LOL!

So how do you go about cleaning all that stuff off of the parking lot?

I use my shoe as a broom and bag up the big pieces... then I go back and forth over the spot I was working on hitting the rev limiter on my engine (in neutral of course...), a surprisingly effective way to spread out the mess =P

working in a parking lot sucks, not only have I loaded/unloaded this thing from my truck more time then I can remember... each time I start to work, I have to setup everything again, plug everything in yada yada yada. not fun =(

plus u have countless people wondering wtf the idiot with the white truck is doing lol

its looking good dude and i give u props for doing all of that in a parking lot

looks great man.. but arent you worried that someone will try to break into your truck now after seeing all this work your putting into it?

I am just sick. Walks away shaking head, why me? Why Why me?
Looks good, good luck on the electrical end.

jssong said:
looks great man.. but arent you worried that someone will try to break into your truck now after seeing all this work your putting into it?

Im more than sure all of this will be THOUROUGHLY bolted down, as well as proteted by some sort of alarm system. If its all done right, the only thing a thieve would be able to accomplish would be a good vandalism. It would take WAAAY too much time to get all that unbolted.

jssong said:

It is a possibility... although crime where I goto school isn't that high (small town). A civic did get his turbo stolen out of his engine bay last month though.

As for someone stealing it... I dont think anyone would have a use for this unless they owned an explorer. They could steal the subs out of it I guess. I plan to get torx screws for the subs tho, so the subs cannot be easily be taken out. I dont want to bolt it down, because I dont want to go through the carpet.

I dont plan on getting an aftermarket alarm. I think the size of this thing is deterrent enough. Maybe I'll put a chain on it and attach the chain to the seatbelt bolt.

Last thing... the top of the amp rack is at an angle with the sub box... so the only way to get this out would be to cut all the wires going into the amp box, remove that, and then get the sub box out. You can't take it out the rear just by bringing it forward - it's too wide. You have to put the seats down, push it onto the seats, turn it sideways, and then pull it out the back sideways. I bet if they cut the power wires and got electricuted, they could sue me... knowing this countrie's court system. I'll probably think of something to prevent a theif from taking it.

..the best deturent is to screw the subs in..a chain can be easily cut so they would see that and laugh...just use the torx screws for the subs..or drill the heads of the screws so they can not be taken out w.o drilling them out (reverse drill bit)

another good thing..toss a blanket over it when u go somewhere and TURN IT OFF BEFORE U GET IN THE PARKING LOT!! my friend learned that lesson the hard way..lol

i turn mine off a few driveways from where i am going to be parked..and theres a blanket over the subs so u cant see anything through the tint

i live by..if they dont know u got it they cant steal it =) lol if they do know and they really want it..its gone

gl dude

Oh yea, I'm buying a large black piece of cloth to stick over it. Besides the theif factor, I'm buying it so I dont get massive amounts of glare on my rear window. I might do the drilling bit on one of the screws... we'll see.

Question: should I put bondo around the sub ring to smooth it out a little bit? where the sub makes contact w/ the box.

hydroxy said:
Question: should I put bondo around the sub ring to smooth it out a little bit? where the sub makes contact w/ the box.

I'd say do what it takes to make it smooth, and get a tight fit. Preferably knocking down the fiberglass, so less bondo is added, but I'd definately work there too, b/c a tight seal on the subs is a good ider

It should be a real good tight fit around the sub. One thing else, if you do any of these theft techniques, make sure it is all working properly first. LOL, I would hate to see you do them and find out a wire fell of somewhere or was crossed then you would have a heck of a time getting that sub out. That is just a friendly reminder.

just use some 3m tape around the subs..i used some weather stripping i got at kragen..worked good on my friends pos box that leaked like a siv around the sub..2 layers of the weather tape crap and it doesnt leak anymore..also used that so my detatchable top wouldnt rattle...

and yah i 2nd the check for working order before u drill the heads off the screws =) lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just say screw it, if someone is already in your truck let them have it. chances are if they are in there and they can't get it out their gonna f it up.

would you rather go to insurance and whine that someone broke in and scratched my custom paint, and dented my cone or go in there and say someone stole my system?

its like when i used to work at best buy, they build their stores so that if they catch fire they burn to the ground and they walk away with the insurance money and start over. Just think of the mess you'll have if someone is in there and can't get it all?

Back