Tech By Trade

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Your mom's house
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Sport Trac
Hi all,
Just thought I would start a thread about what I am guessing is a pretty common issue. The worn leather on the OEM steering wheel. When I originally bought I purchased a WheelSkins steering wheel cover for around 50 bucks. It was camel in color I do believe and pretty much a perfect match. Well, after a few years it succumbed to the same worn shiny scratched appearance as the OEM wheel so off to the bin it went.
Anyway, I went to a website called Autoleatherdye.com and ordered a bottle of their leather match dye. The interior in my truck came up as light medium stone. I started by cleaning up the steering wheel real good with a magic eraser. That removed most of the oil and grime, then I used household cleaner to do the rest, my wife's mixture of vinegar and something else. After that a good wipe dry. I applied 4 coats of the dye. with it being 28 deg c here yesterday it dried fast. I did the first 2 coats, turned the wheel and applied the last 2 coats. I used a dabbing action with a sponge. Last I went around and did any touch ups.
I must say I am quite impressed. It turned out much better than expected. I will get back with pictures when I have a second. I will also update in a couple months with a durability update.
The product was from Autoleatherdye.com, it was light medium stone, in the 8 oz bottle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

20170608_202517_1.jpg

Finished results after a day

I am not able to see the pics??? Thanks.

That looks good. I think the main problem with mine is that it is just worn out. It would need some filler.

I didn't have any cracks, just worn down to the brown and black past the original colouring. The leather itself wasn't in too bad of shape. too bad I didn't snap a before pic.

Looks decent - any issue with rubbing off on to your hands?

Back