• Register Today It's free!

would a clogged EGR valve smoke?

Polardogg

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 and 98 explorers
after the car is turned off, there seems to be some smoke coming up from behind the alternator, and there is a really strong smell, like either its exhaust or that "running hot smell",(the gauge dont show it running hot, and coolant level is perfect, 1994 explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The EGR is on the opposite side as the alternator, so, I wouldn't think that would be the source of your smoke. Also, I think you'd be getting an EGR flow insufficient code if it were clogged.

Have I seen EGR's smoke? YES I have, but it was when the tube had come loose on the base end.

Perhaps you have an exhaust manifold leak? Clogged Cat? Smoke could come up from there, on that side.
Check your belt, it may be rubbing on a pulley.
Check the feed wire on the alternator...it tends to corrode with age and you don't want a fire there.

The EGR is on the opposite side as the alternator, so, I wouldn't think that would be the source of your smoke. Also, I think you'd be getting an EGR flow insufficient code if it were clogged.

Have I seen EGR's smoke? YES I have, but it was when the tube had come loose on the base end.

Perhaps you have an exhaust manifold leak? Clogged Cat? Smoke could come up from there, on that side.
Check your belt, it may be rubbing on a pulley.
Check the feed wire on the alternator...it tends to corrode with age and you don't want a fire there.
i got a 332 and 335, i went to take to smog shop, they said would pass , but the check engine light dont work, so i replaced it, and of course it stayed on, i check the codes ad got the 332 and 335, i got this for frre from my step dad and drove it 520 miles to get it home, up n over the mountains to get into Cali and it drove good

Those are both EGR codes. I would bet that there is carbon built up inside the upper intake manifold, covering the EGR hole. So even if you replace the EGR valve, solenoid, DPFE sensor, and tube, it still won't work right if the hole is clogged.

Your truck will run like that as you noticed, you ran it across the mountains...but your mileage will suffer and it will cause higher than normal combustion temperature, which isn't good in the long term.

Those are both EGR codes. I would bet that there is carbon built up inside the upper intake manifold, covering the EGR hole. So even if you replace the EGR valve, solenoid, DPFE sensor, and tube, it still won't work right if the hole is clogged.

Your truck will run like that as you noticed, you ran it across the mountains...but your mileage will suffer and it will cause higher than normal combustion temperature, which isn't good in the long term.
should i use some kind of cleaner like Seafoam? or the Lucas stuff?or is there better?

should i use some kind of cleaner like Seafoam? or the Lucas stuff?or is there better?

In my experience if the EGR passageway is clogged, the only way to un-clog it is to remove the upper intake manifold.

That means you would have to remove the throttle cables, throttle body, EGR valve, and IAT sensor....then soak the aluminum upper intake manifold in kerosene or seafoam for a couple of hours...then take pipe cleaners or picks and manually ream out the EGR passageway. Finally blast the crap out with high pressure water paying special attention to that EGR passageway. It's really narrow, and looks like an afterthought design by Ford (our manis weren't designed for EGR, Ford added the passageway in 1993.5 and 94 mani's).

Just spraying in Seafoam thru the throttle body probably will not work to knock out that kind of clogged up passageway. You'd luck out if it did. The passageway is really narrow AND when it enters the upper intake manifold, it's cast in a low place -- perfect for dirt and carbon by-product to accumulate. Can you tell I chased the EGR problems for a long time on my truck? :) I finally won the battle though...doing the above manual cleaning.

In my experience if the EGR passageway is clogged, the only way to un-clog it is to remove the upper intake manifold.

That means you would have to remove the throttle cables, throttle body, EGR valve, and IAT sensor....then soak the aluminum upper intake manifold in kerosene or seafoam for a couple of hours...then take pipe cleaners or picks and manually ream out the EGR passageway. Finally blast the crap out with high pressure water paying special attention to that EGR passageway. It's really narrow, and looks like an afterthought design by Ford (our manis weren't designed for EGR, Ford added the passageway in 1993.5 and 94 mani's).

Just spraying in Seafoam thru the throttle body probably will not work to knock out that kind of clogged up passageway. You'd luck out if it did. The passageway is really narrow AND when it enters the upper intake manifold, it's cast in a low place -- perfect for dirt and carbon by-product to accumulate. Can you tell I chased the EGR problems for a long time on my truck? :) I finally won the battle though...doing the above manual cleaning.
o wow, this went from fun to work, thanx for your help

I used around a 1/2 " drill bit to ream out the carbon in the passage behind the EGR valve. If you replace the DPFE sensor get the Wells/Airtec brand replacement, I went through 4 plastic ones in a month before getting my money back and buying one.

Also check the stainless pipe from the exhaust manifold to the EGR Valve, it can crack at the bellows shaped area.

I used around a 1/2 " drill bit to ream out the carbon in the passage behind the EGR valve. If you replace the DPFE sensor get the Wells/Airtec brand replacement, I went through 4 plastic ones in a month before getting my money back and buying one.

Also check the stainless pipe from the exhaust manifold to the EGR Valve, it can crack at the bellows shaped area.
this one?

Wells SU243 EGR Pressure Sensor | eBay

Looks like it but I got mine at Autozone. I replaced the EGR valve as well and it stopped the EGR related codes I had. Remember this was my truck and not yours, please don't just throw parts and money at a problem but figure out what is wrong. You can find out how to test almost every part somewhere on this forum.

Best of luck

The smoke on the passenger side could be a leaky valve cover gasket . I would follow Centaurus's suggestion to clean out the passage . and i would replace the valve cover gaskets while you're in the area . Good luck , search long & hard on this forum, there is almost an endless supply of knowledge on here & plenty of good people ready to help you out if they can .

That's good advice about not throwing parts at it. DPFE sensors are $50. Ream out the upper intake manifold port FIRST -- it may solve all the problems.
I never had any luck with 2 different Airtex-Wells DPFE sensors. The last one I bought, quit working after about a week.

I felt like I was made of money after that fiasco.

Looks like it but I got mine at Autozone. I replaced the EGR valve as well and it stopped the EGR related codes I had. Remember this was my truck and not yours, please don't just throw parts and money at a problem but figure out what is wrong. You can find out how to test almost every part somewhere on this forum.

Best of luck
thnx foe your help

Sorry to hear you had trouble with the Airtex-Wells sensors Rhett, mine is still doing fine after a year and a half... knock on wood.

Back