Would like to dye my carpet black is this possible? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Would like to dye my carpet black is this possible?

JoshB1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT
I have grey carpet and interior in my 96 exp I was wondering if I could dye it with some black but dont know if this is possible can someone let me now if I can do this and if so what can I use thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are these Vinyl & Fabric paint by dupli-color you can find in auto part store, which is suppose to work on carpets. I've never tried them on carpets, but they look fine painted on interior plastic pieces.

Too much agro, I would take it out and use it as a template to cut from black carpet. Dying carpet is hard to do right without patches!

JC Whitney has very inexpensive carpet kits -- I agree, the dying is a mess and very spotty looking.

Vinyl & Fabric paint by dupli-color/QUOTE]

I was modifying some door panels from a Second Gen to put in my 93, I painted them black using the Dupli-Color spray, and I used it on the carpets on the door panels as well. It works very well, I layered it up twice, and it seemed to seep into it as well to make the carpet itself black, not just the top.

I say go for it, maybe try it in the cargo area first to see if it looks good, or how you are at doing it.

Back