Would you attend a Las Cruces, NM Run Oct 12-13?? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Would you attend a Las Cruces, NM Run Oct 12-13??

Would you be willing to attend a Las Cruces, NM Run for Oct. 12-13th?

• Yes, I am interesting in running trails around Las Cruces.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • No, I'm not interested.

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Maybe, I'm interested. Please tell me more.

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • What the heck fire is Las Cruces?

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Mudd*****
I don't think that I can make it either. Too much to do and not enough time. Among other things, my truck started overheating and puking out coolant. I suspect the heater core but I don't know for sure.

Edit - Oil is milky. It may be a head gasket or intake gasket.
Sorry to hear that Randall.
Were any of the other Demon4x4 guys gonna try and make Las Cruces or are they just gearing up for the Slabs?

Can we get a head count of others that might be coming?

People that expressed an interest earlier, but we haven't heard from lately:
  • 410Fortune
    DesertSpive
    offroadkc
    Brian1
    offroader_69_me
    [/list=a]

People that said they might be able to make it:
    • Rick & Char
      Becker69(Sat. only)
      FAKRWEE
      MARTY196
      jnsnwt
      Jason Wilson(mysporttrac.com board)
      Mike Gilewitch(mysporttrac.com board - Sat. only)
      [/list=a]

People that are definitely making it:
      • Aquaman[/list=a]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is a great list and I enjoy the thread update feature .
This L.C. deal will be our 1st ever such event.
I do not plan on climbing anything, just see what I can learn and watch others.
It sounds as if the "Slabs" event around Houston might have more participants so I would probably save my pennies and attend that event.

John and Sue in West Texas

Well, I'll be at the Slabs one too. Either way I'll probably see ya.

BTW, the Slabs is near Austin. I've never been there, but you may want to check with the Demon4x4 guys as to how hard it is. Here's a link to their pictures and right up of last years fun... Dead Link Removed

I'm 100% sure about going. we plan on going to mexico after the runs so either way, were headed that direction.

Originally posted by Aquaman
People that expressed an interest earlier, but we haven't heard from lately: Brian1

I wont be coming, I still havent tested my mods out yet and I need an alignment before I travel long distances. I will be at the supercrawl in Farmington instead. Maybe next time.

sorry guys I havent been in touch lately started a second job and never have time to get online anymore, anyway I will not be able to make this one but hope to see you all at Truchaven!

John; I should be out there Fri evening (by 8 pm or so) with one passenger; a good buddy of mine. We are planning on staying through Sat night, and leaving Sun morning if that is good for you. Thanks for the arrangements you sent earlier, if that is cool I will take you up on your offer and meet you with your choice of drinks :D
We are planning on hitting up the Saturday trails, so let me know if I need to bring anything specific (aside from sockets, hand tools, tow straps, ect. from the list of mandatory trail items). Look forward to meeting up.

Well I'm out. Rig won't be ready.:(

any new news?

I should be leaving tomorrow for Las Cruces. I hate the long drive, but oh well.

We will probably be a small group on Sat. and even smaller on Sunday.

The 100% head count so far is:
Me-Aquaman
Marty196
Becker69(Sat. only)
Mike Gilewitch(Sat. only)

The 50% and up count is:
Rick & Char
Jason Wilson

This doesn't count any Las Cruces 4Wheel Drive Club members that will be showing up.

The meeting place is Saturday 8am at:
Cracker Barrel Old Country Str
1490 Hickory Dr, Las Cruces, NM 88005

Regards,
John

John could you e-mail me your contact #'s and stuff so I can a hold of you on Fri, when I leave to come out? Thanks man, I hope all is good to go... look forward to it.

Well, I sure wish I had some pictures to post of the shear mayhem and unabated breakage!!!:confused: We met up Sat. and drove out to 'Broad Canyon' where we drove down some miniature rock gardens, through sand and dirt to get to the meat of the canyon.
The Local Las Cruces club has some really nice members, that were always up for helping out, spotting, making sarcastic comments (OK that was me :) etc... they were a great group of guys and gals. But holy mayhem!! I wish we had gotten advance notice that Saturdays run was not for the faint of heart, and none of the locals were running any smaller tires than 35's!! All and all it was an awesome scenic trail, with some really gnarly rock ledges and crawls and NO bypasses at all. I would guess that the min. tire size permissable without serious body damage, would be 33's. It was really cool to meet 'Marty196' and his wife, and John (Aquaman). The locals even brought out a stock '92 Explorer that they beat the CRAP out of... and it ended up with severe body damage on every possible exposed panel/sheetmetal. It truly was a crowd pleaser. I had a blast, even though I only drove 1/2 the day.
:)

Man, I sure hope someone has photos. I'm sure John was busy with the digi-cam like usual:D

DAMN I sure wish I could have been there with you guys:(

Rick - You would have loved this place. Plenty of challenge for the Pumpkin Explorer. It would have been good for these Jeepers to see the world's premiere Offroad Explorer in action.

It was really good to see Becker69 again and to meet Marty196 and his wife Angie. Mike Gilewitch(Sport Trac owner from Las Cruces) had a good time riding shotgun with Homer the trail leader. We left Mike's very very stock ST 4x4 behind early on. His wife rode most of the time with me. Becker69 told me later that night that she had her eyes closed a few times during my driving of the trail. :D

As for pictures, yep I've got a few. Plus, Mike Gilewitch emailed me a few too. But, I've got to clear some space in my account, since I don't have my pictures.aquaman.net server up and running right now.

Plenty of mayhem and carnage happened along the trail.
I guess the first carnaged happened to me. I knocked off my passenger's side foglamp very early in the trail going through some ditches.

The next breakage happened to the Jeep everyone was interested in watching. One of the local guys had brought along his newly created Moggler. A Wrangler Jeep with Unimog axles. Well, on one of first twisty objects he tried to climb, he busted off the upper mounts of his rear shock absorbers. Doh! He took off back to town at that point to go back to the store. No more wheeling for him that day.

The next breakage happened at the beginning of Broad Canyon. One of the Jeeps broke his front driveshaft. That guy headed home at that point.

We had started as a group of 5 Jeeps and 5 Explorers, but by the time I got to the entrance of Broad Canyon we were down to 3 Jeeps and 4 Explorers. Mike's ST had been left behind earlier in the wash, it was too stock and too pretty to bring along. But, soon into Broad Canyon we were down to 3 Jeeps and 2 Explorers. Marty196 had wisely decided not to take his Explorer into Broad canyon and left for the rest of the day. Becker69 parked his ST in the entrance and rode along with me.

The next breakage was from the guy with the Red Jeep. He broke his rear driveshaft. Homer broke out his electric welder and made it better.

The next major carnage was on my ST. I was trying to make it up an option obstacle that put a lot of pressure on my left tire just trying to keep it straight. Then the tie-rod on that side gave out and bent almost into a perfect L. I was lucky not to break any fingers or thumbs as my steering wheel whipped to the right when the tie-rod bent. Amazingly enough we were able to bend the tie-rod back into position without it breaking. So, I was back moving on the trail again, just picking the easy lines now. It wasn't too long before I found out another bad side effect of the tie-rod bending. It seems that when the tie-rod bent that it had turned the wheel severely enough to the right to damage the outer driver's side CV joint. It made a nice breaking noise as I was going up a small sandy hill. At least it wasn't the tie-rod breaking. :D That thing held the rest of the way on a very rocky creek bed trail. And i was able to make the 800 mile trip home yesterday on it.

I'll post a link when I get pics ready.

Hey Guys,
Had a great time out there. Sounds like I left a little to early, by the way it was nice to meet John his wife and becker69. now my wife has got the 4x4 itch, telling me we need to get bigger tires and a locker. (after telling her how everyone was climbing the rocks.) well thanks John for setting this up, sorry to hear about the damage glad you made it home okay. I deffinatly have to start going to more runs. thanks again.

YIKES!! CARNAGE!!! Man that sounds way cool though! Glad you made it off the trail and back home ok!

Great trip and pics. Sounds like one hella of day. John I hope you put another trip together soon.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tom; I had such a good time... even though I only drove a bit of the trail leading to the canyon.... I was worth it to drive a couple of hours, John really helped me out and 'Homer' hooked me up with a ride back to my truck. Hopefully a 'good time had by all'. I think John got through his mechanical problems with nothing but respect for NM.

Back