Would you buy a diesel X? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Would you buy a diesel X?

Would you be interested in a diesel X?

• Yes, sign me up today

Votes: 139 72.0%
  • Maybe, but fuel availability makes me leary

Votes: 14 7.3%
  • I'm interested in the torque and mpg's but don't like the smell/smoke

Votes: 19 9.8%
  • $2000 is too much even if the payback is less than 2 years

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Not at all, mpg's and trailering are not important to me

Votes: 17 8.8%

• Total voters
I don't see any need for a diesel engine. All it will do is drive up the price of diesel fuel for our transportation delieverys. Also I would not be able to use a remote starter with a diesel! Research money would be better spent on something that does NOT require any OIL!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Re: The New diesels

Originally posted by 01EB5.0
If anyone is interested in any more information about the new technologies for diesels, or if you want to find out where you can see one of these diesles, let me know and i'll relay the message to my Dad.

I would definitely be interested in more info on the new diesel technology. You can e-mail it to me at fordlover@myway.com Whether it be a website link or what have you.

As for a diesel X, I would own one in a hot minute. Who wouldn't. You get more power, better gas mileage, diesel fuel costs less than regular gas, and on top of all that, you don't have to worry about changing spark plugs.

Oh yeah baby! #100

AND, you know I'll take mine with an oil burner in it!

Infact a Cummins 4cylinder turbo to be exact, same one you would find in an NPR box truck. ;)

<------- has been doing top secret research.

I'd take one.

Let me throw in my 2 cents if I may.

Ok, here is what I have been thinnking, putting diesel engines in ANY vehicle is a good move, why? for three reasons:
1. More Power (torque) and better fuel efficiency
2. Cleaner for environment***
3. Future reductions of need for crude oil.

now let me clarify some of these points, for the first everyone knows the benefits for power and drivability of a diesel motor so enough there, for the second point running a diesel motor can greatly reduce the side affects of a gasoline engine (pollution). By running BIODIESEL, a renuable energy source made from organic oils such as soybean oil (vegitable/cooking oil) you can eleimate almost 78% of carbon monoxide pollution. With the increase of the number of people using biodiesel as opposed to traditional petroleum diesel the need for crude oil to support these vehicles will be lessoned, lowering the emphasis on foreign oil imports somewhat.

http://www.biodiesel.org/

Sean

I just wanna see some pics of this mysterious diesel Explorer better known in Asia and the Middle East as the Ford Everest and pics of it's engine.

Here is alink to see the truck...no engine pics though :-(.
I think the diesel is the same one as used in the european ranger for years....

http://www.ford.com.ph/

Cool :cool: . Kinda resembles the 1st Gen as well as a Montero.

i look on this and have to say " ya i want a desiel" I mean here in Alberta where I am Diesel is like 59 cents a litre while regular is 89cents. I dont care if it stinks and we all know that noise isent an issue. How many of you have put the exhaust kits and intake kits to make it louder and more powerful? This is better:D

I got no where to plug in the heater... and I park in really COLD weather

how cold??? 40 below? (celcius)

I voted not for $2000.
Reason is, I know nothing about diesel and can't stand the way they sound or smell. Though the power is nice. Nothing about power can be bad!

Diesel anything is very, very good these days.

1) The new diesel engines are very clean and smooth, nothing like diesels of old, or poorly running engines.
2)They are worth it alone on fuel economy.
3) We already have diesel availible nationwide
4) diesel is only getting cleaner
5) cheaper to fill up, cheaper to maintain

I work with marine diesels on a regular basis, and I'll take one over a gas engine any day.

taxxman2k said:
Alright, now that it has been brought up in a couple posts time for someone to do the swap!:D

i volunteer. lets all start a fund for me. ill install a diesel in my truck and ill let u all know how it goes :) :smoke: but seriously, a diesel for a first gen would kick some major butt - i want to see my explorer hit well past 500k. esp cuz i goto school in iowa. can anyone say BIODIESEL?!

hell yeah sign me up for that

01EB5.0 said:
Here is alink to see the truck...no engine pics though :-(.
I think the diesel is the same one as used in the european ranger for years....

http://www.ford.com.ph/

holy crap that would be sweet to own

i myself am going to tech school for Diesel Mechanics

Do you think Ford would think about putting that Diesel they wanted to put in the "Concept Bronco's" with Its "gutsy turbo-diesel reaches peak 244 lbs./ft. torque at just 1,800 rpm, and provides limited-time overboost of 258 lbs./ft. at full throttle for steep climbing. For an even greater power kick, holding down the N20 button injects a stream of nitrous oxide, delivering a temporary 60-hp boost to clear that really tough off-road obstacle."(As Ford put it ever so nicely) I mean from rumors that sounds like a good SUV sized engine a 2.0L Diesel Engine w/ Nos and a Turbo Charger sounds good to me :D

i would jump at the chance to put a diesel in my first gen, i love the way the 1st gens look and with that much power and a little offroad capability, it would be unstoppable (almost)

Diesels in Europe

Diesels are the rage in europe where gas and diesel is around 3-4 times what it is here. In austria 80% of new cars are diesels. A diesel in an explorer just makes sense...much more so then hybrids.... DC motors can haul but they have to weight so much they arent practical anymore... The explorers i believe have been diesels for YEARS in england etc... HP is nothing guys... put a six speed tranny and let it rev to 4k it will only have 180hp but it will tow a house and have 300+ ft lbs...

Diesels are coming, they are not noisy that is a notion that people developed in the 70s when diesels werent developed as they are today. Look at the gas engines of the same time period... Mercedes has brought back a diesel in the E class... guess what it is QUITER and will out accelerate the 3.2v6 it replaces...

2000 is reasonable given the increased service interval of a diesel (lasting 400-500K would be easy) and the lower price at the pump plus increased re sale... ever notice how well TDI jettas hold their value...

Bottom line ford can...should...and will.... its really the only choice.

B

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back