Would You Buy A Used Locker? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Would You Buy A Used Locker?

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Just wondering if you guys would take the chance on buying a used locker. I have heard from some that it just isn't a good idea, just buy new no matter what the savings. This was the approach I was going to take.

But, tonight I ran across a 6 month old, used ARB for about 1/2 of retail (that is a decent chunk of change). It was used on the front of a Jeep and, supposedly, wasn't used very often.

Is it worth taking the chance on? Is there too much that can be screwed up on a full, selectable locker?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Robb
Just wondering if you guys would take the chance on buying a used locker. I have heard from some that it just isn't a good idea, just buy new no matter what the savings. This was the approach I was going to take.

But, tonight I ran across a 6 month old, used ARB for about 1/2 of retail (that is a decent chunk of change). It was used on the front of a Jeep and, supposedly, wasn't used very often.

Is it worth taking the chance on? Is there too much that can be screwed up on a full, selectable locker?

I wouldn't its just not worth the investment in my opinion. For the money I rather get a new locker.

For half the price I would definitely look into it. If it was used and treated right then I have no problem with buying used items.

Yeah, since im a cheap ass anyway..

I ran a used detroit in the rear of my ranger. It had about 1000 miles on it from what I was told. I pulled out a lockright and it looked perfect after 70,000 miles. The only reason I pulled the lock right was cause i wasted a pinion and found a complete axle with a detroit cheaper then I could a gear set to put in my old axle

I wouldnt be to concerned with a front unless it was in a very built rig that saw alot of broken shafts and that was why it was being sold cause the guy was upgrading.

Matt

I'd buy a used ARB in a heart beat.

You can easily (and cheapily) get most of the rebuild parts (ie, air line, seals, and o-rings) from ARB.

Thanks Guys!! Yea, I am thinking that it would be worth it. Any problems that it may have should be fixable pretty cheap.

But I also found a line on a new Electrac that should be reasonably priced also.

:confused:

With my luck, I am thinking that I will end up with both, and have to sell one, or end up with neither.:(

i would buy a used ARB in a heartbeat, especially if it was in the front. like Tom said you could rebuild it for cheap if it needed it. i bet it wont considering it was in the front.

Robb, I know you won't give away any secrets, but what axle were those lockers for? I'd buy a used ARB locker if it looked good and I know I can rebuild the seals before installing. Let me know what one you end up with, I'm in the market.

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a ARB for my front axle used. It saved me about $400.

When you have an air locker how often do you think it gets used by most people? Not very often!
I just took it to my gear set up shop and had them go through it, they replaced the seals for good measure and bench tested it. Works perfect!

I have been working on the same guy I bought the front one from to sell me the rear!!! he keeps saying he's gonna use it....I want I want!

Things I got used:
JBA headers $100 (perfect shape)
ARB $300
Superrunner Steering $250 (perfect)

I wont go into all the used drivetrain parts, engine's, axles, etc...

Used is the way to go as long as it was not abused! ARB's are good used because they can be tested and repaired prior to install....

I'd buy a used arb cause it's quality but not a power tracks used

Back