Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

would you risk it ?? replacement radio/nav

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2018 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by Lethal-Wombat, August 8, 2015.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. John Diggle

John Diggle New Member

City, State:
      Jamaica, NY
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2002 Explorer XLT
      How’s the unit holding up? I’m eyeing a few PIU’s and know I’ll have to upgrade the stereo. I’ve seen bad reviews on similar chinese radios where they’ll freeze up in the wintertime; and being in NYC that isn’t gonna fly. I just feel like the metra kit looks a little dated but if that’s a better choice then I’ll just have to deal with it.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Black Eyed

Black Eyed Member

City, State:
      Riyadh
      Explorer 2015 base model
      Sorry i was traveling, i didn't see your reply. the unit is rock solid. stable and reliable. no issues and there is no freezes. i have not seen any difference with the sound quality comparing with the original unit. even though this unit gives you a freedom to wire new speakers and sup woofer, i would not recommend it for someone who want's a stereo upgrade, or someone want install new premium sound system in his car.

4. unixadm

unixadm Member

2015 PIU Ecoboost
      I've had one of these units for almost a year. The only things I don't like are:

1. My 2015 Explorer Police Utility Ecoboost has automatic headlamps from the factory. The head unit seems to go into the night brightness during the day and I have to cycle through the buttons to make it brighter. If I turn the headlamp switch to off, it doesn't do this.
      2. The orange lights indicating what settings are current on the A/C settings are too dim and very hard to see during the day.
      3. Android 4.4.4 - a little slow and dated, but it works.
      4. The stock firmware isn't that good. I upgraded to Kotix and use a different car menu system.
      5. No dedicated subwoofer output.
      6. Very limited bluetooth support.

Overall, it has worked better for me than I thought it would. There is now a large LCD version (think Tesla) without buttons available.

5. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Are your headlights ON when this happens during the day?

Peter

6. unixadm

unixadm Member

2015 PIU Ecoboost
      No. They are in Auto and not actually on. I think it's an issue with the can-bus interface thinking that the auto position equals the lights being on.

7. Medic531

Medic531 Member

City, State:
      Moore, Oklahoma
      2015 Explorer 4x4 Base
      I have wanted to do this ever since I bought my explorer. I required 4WD so I spent the extra money on that instead of adding MyFordTouch. I currently have the 4” display with BT, USB, Aux In, Sat Radio and sync w/voice activation.

Someone mentioned “limited bt”. How limited? As long as my phone will connect and play audio and phone calls I’ll be good.

USB, I see in the video this unit connects to the current OEM usb so I should be good,

I don’t remember seeing in the video but I assume the AUX In will also continue to work?

Apparently the unit does not support any type of SAT Radio my if I installed this unit I would be sol ?

As far as the units internet ability I assume that usb device he installed was just a WiFi receiver that could connect to a Verizon jet pack or hotspot from my phone?

Outdoor temperature display still works?

If no sat radio capable what are my alternate options, sat rad is a huge thing for me. I guess I could add the streaming service to my sat subscription and play sat rad via an app on the device.

8. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Which "trim Level" do you have? I'm guessing it is the Base? Please update your profile by adding the now required "Trim Level" so it shows in the margin. That can be very useful info to have at times. Thank you.

Peter

9. Medic531

Medic531 Member

City, State:
      Moore, Oklahoma
      2015 Explorer 4x4 Base
      yeah the base model, forgot to add that to my profile.