Would you trade the Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Would you trade the Explorer?

Would you trade the Explorer for the Jeep?

• Yes, definately trade

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Yeah I may trade

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • Probably not gonna trade

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Never trade for that

Votes: 51 71.8%

• Total voters

ZachMan

Reaction score
City, State
Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS 4X4
I have a 2000 Explorer XLS, 4 door, 4x4, 4.0 OHV, power, CD, etc. and its in excellent condition with only 51k miles. Its had all fluids changed on time and everything works perfectly. Has tented windows, new 30x9.50 MT/Rs, nerf bars, bug sheild, etc. I've owned it for about 2 months.

Ok, I want to sell it to get back into a Jeep or maybe a Taco. Well I have been talking with a guy who has a 1993 Jeep YJ (Wrangler) I wouldn't mind owning. He has had it forsale for awhile and he wanted $14k for it now down to $11k. Well he finally after wanting cash to trade said today he would do an even trade with me. He also lives only about 150 miles away. Only thing I am not sure on is it does have almost 2x the miles I have. Now I've owned a few 4.0L Jeeps and I know the engine will last 250k miles, but it has well over $10k in it. This Jeep would be my DD, but I would also use it offroad. Plus my friend is building a shop right now to work on his Jeeps and other 4x4s and we want to start wheeling regularly, so this may be great timing.

Here is what his forsale ad:

-----------------------------------------
1993 Jeep Wrangler YJ
4.0 6 cyl 98K miles
999 auto tranny
Atlas II 4.3 ratio ($2100)
rear cv slip drive shafts 1350
front shaft is also a slip shaft
dana 44 rear w/superior shafts 4.10 gears ($200) arb air locker ($750)
dana 30 HP front w/superior one piece shafts 4.10 gears($200) arb air locker($750)
ARB air compressor under the hood
36x13.50 Super Swamper TSL's on 15x10 Black Rockcrawler wheels
Rockkrawler 7 inch extreme duty long arm Coilover suspension (Fox Racing coilovers front and rear) www.rockkrawler.com ($3900)
Currie heavy duty tie rod and drag link ($350)
Warn 8000lb winch ($700)
Off Your Rocker rear corner guards w/flush mount round taillights
Warn Rocker Guards
Bushwacker wide fender flares ($385)
custom cage
Besttop bucket seats
Rhino Liner bottom of tub
optima red top battery
cd player
new paint on body

I have the rear seat with the seatbelts and all the brackets to mount it but it is not currently mounted in the jeep.

This jeep was professionally built by 4x4Land in Topeka Kansas in 2001. I bought it from them in November 2003 and brought it go Georgia. The jeep has great flex and awesome off-road performance. It is very streetable. It can be a daily driver and can do long road trips no problem. Highway speed is not a problem.

--------------------------------

So if you were in my situation would you trade? (***edit*** I only owe $6k on my Explorer so I'd only owe $6k on the Jeep)

Pics, just go to the very bottom under "Jeep YJ" (the green one):

http://community.webshots.com/user/bignutt101

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't. That's very expensive for a '93 Jeep. Ever wonder why he never sold it? Because you've gotta be crazy to pay that much.

I would never trade a 2000 explorer that has treated me well and served its function for 51K miles for a 1993 anything with 100K miles + on it. Thats like trading a new Harly for a Huffy.

That's almost a personal question. I know you want to sell your Explorer anyway and you've wanted a serious wheeler. I can't see the pics but it sounds good. Keep in mind that your DD will be rough, noisey, and a PITA gettting in and out several times a day. I've commuted in all types of rigs and would do it again. It's how much tollerance you have and what you expect a certain rig to do for you. the I6 4.0, 999 tranny,Atlass II, D44 and D30 is a great combo for reilability (sp?). I'm sure you'll get many years of good service out of it as long as you keep up on regular maintenance, just like the Explorer.

ZachMan said:
I would also use it offroad. Plus my friend is building a shop right now to work on his Jeeps and other 4x4s and we want to start wheeling regularly, so this may be great timing.
Why do you need another Jeep for offroading, if you already have one on D60s?

Robb said:
Why do you need another Jeep for offroading, if you already have one on D60s?

Sold my old one just the other day, had to got an offer I couldn't refuse. :D

Pics are now up.

Yeah thats crazy, theres no way I would do that :confused: The 100+ for your 00 x with what 51,000 Dude you would be nuts to do this IMHO :D

I don't know....Wranglers hold there value and it does have well over $10k in it + labor. My Ex isn't gonna cut it for the way I want to offroad and I can't afford a second vehicle.

I wouldn't do it, I'd rather put the money into the Explorer.

I'd sell the X and use the money to buy what I wanted. Moded vehicles don't hold value well and the only way to get what you want is to (be VERY lucky) and find someone that wants those mods. The Wrangler is probably worth what.. $4k?

Well your right. I may be jumping the gun too because my friend has already told me he wants to buy my Ex in Feb., but thats just words. However if I were to sell it by Feb., I have a guy willing to sell me his '01 Tacoma double cab built truck (SAS) it has 38k miles and has about $8k in it and he will take $18k for it. I can't find a stock '01 D-cab 4x4 under $50k for less than $20k in my area. So I am wishing I could out right sell my Ex asap.

Im the only one that voted YES hahaha

In all honesty, I think you're asking the wrong people. I think we're all bound to be at least a little biased in favor of the Explorer, especially when you use the "J" word. :p

But you did ask for an opinion, so here you go: As said above, the Ex will be better on road, the jeep will be better off road. Think about what matters most to you, and if you decide you want something else, then change. I do agree with the statement about selling rather than trading however.

My overall vote in response to the poll: :thumbdwn:

Short answer: Get whichever vehicle works best for you.

I wanted a Jeep. Untill my buddy bought one. We went hunting in it lots this year. 2 Big guys, a couple of guns and it is too small.

I wanted a Wrangler, but now I don't.. All of my friends that have one want to get rid of them because while they're fun in the summer, they suck in the winter

Though I would never trade for a Jeep (I now feel cheapened by having even typed it), It is currently up for sale do to the wifes new TrailBlazer.

I wouldn't if it was my only vehicle. I would , however, trade for a nice early bronco that has been restored in a heartbeat. My last vehicle was a 1998 jeep wrangler sport. It was great!! I'd probably trade my '86 GT for a nice TJ (4.0) and I would for an early bronco. The TJ Jeep is a great choice for all around use and they are very dependable if you service and treat them right. Finally, for now, it is the closet new vehicle to an early bronco that you can buy (unless you can afford a land rover defender). If I could trade my explorer for my old Jeep, I'd do it in a second. If you have never owned a TJ Jeep or a CJ model, do yourself a favor and purchase one. They are so much more trail ready than an explorer from the start.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I work on cars for a living so I am jaded by that experiance.

I HATE working chrysler products.

So there for I will never own a Jeep

Back