Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Wrecked!

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by mekelly, April 20, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. mekelly

mekelly Active Member

City, State:
      Marietta, GA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1994 Ford Explorer XLT
      After picking up my 1994 Explorer about 2 1/2 years ago for a good price ($500) and putting about $1,000 worth of parts into it (new compressor, accumulator, hoses, radiator, power steering pump, fuel pump, spark plugs, spark plug wires, fan, fan clutch, etc.), it was hit.

My son was at a dead stop at a red light and a distracted driver plowed right into him probably doing 40mph. I am waiting for the appraiser but I am sure they'll total it. There's no way they're going to pay to repair it.

What a shame! If they total it, I am going to see what it would take for me to buy it from them. If the price is reasonable, I'd think about buying it back to part it out.

It's a 2WD XLT automatic with leather power seats. Green exterior, tan interior.

Is there any interest on this board for possibly buying any parts off of it? If so, let me know what you're interested in. That will help me decide whether to buy it back or not.

Irrespective of that, I have several new parts that were never installed. 2 Bosch O2 sensors, fuel filter, air filter, etc. I'll probably be selling those. Let me know if you're interested!

Thanks again and I hate to see her go. I was really getting into working on the car and planned to keep it running for a long time. So disappointing!

Let me know if you're interested!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Wayoutin, Aridzona
      '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
      Callsign:
      AB7FH
    4. mekelly

mekelly Active Member

City, State:
      Marietta, GA
      1994 Ford Explorer XLT
      Thanks. I don't mind becoming a supporting member if I end up parting it out. Want to get feedback though to see if there's any interest!

• Like Like x 1
    5. bradh8

bradh8 New Member

City, State:
      Frisco CO
      1994 Explorer XLT
      Oh man! Just wanted to say that's a sad story .... I had an awesome D*dge Caravan with some camper conversion that was a pretty awesome rig, but some jerk rear-ended me at a red light and totaled her.... so sad.... but that was just a D*dge... I'm sure all our hearts go out to you and your Ford, bro

6. Centaurious

Centaurious Active Member

City, State:
      Pensacola FL
      1994 Explorer Sport
      Why not buy another first gen Explorer and use the old one to fix up the second one. Then sell/scrap what is left over that you don't keep.

This way you still have the Cool Explorer and you know everything about it. Get some local help swapping parts and you can make new friends. :D

• Useful Useful x 1
    7. larrydd999

larrydd999 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Port Angeles, WA
      92 XLT, 94 Limited
      x2 on Centaurious' suggestion, that's what I would do. Look for one as close to what you have (model, color, etc.) as possible so the maximum number of parts can be used. I have a 'running but not drive-able' '94 that I borrow parts from occasionally, and plan to rebuild its engine and transmission when time and $$$ allows. Since I only paid $500 for it if I mess it up it's not a big deal.

8. iLoveMyExploder

iLoveMyExploder Active Member

City, State:
      Texas
      1993 Explorer XLT 4X4
      there are groups on facebook where people buy, sell, and trade for parts and whole trucks- specifically for the 1st gen. why not look into that? maybe you could find a new body and use your wrecked one to fix it up? or part it out there. ive seen a handful of georgia guys in those groups.

9. mekelly

mekelly Active Member

City, State:
      Marietta, GA
      1994 Ford Explorer XLT
      I'll check out the Facebook groups. I'd love to keep it and find another body. Unfortunately, I don't see many of them come up for sale. Just looked at Autotrader, there's 1 1994 for sale within 300 miles of me!

10. iLoveMyExploder

iLoveMyExploder Active Member

City, State:
      Texas
      1993 Explorer XLT 4X4
      if you were in texas, i could help you out