Wrong Part?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wrong Part??

60PSI at WOT is not a bad thing the fuel pressure range for the sohc is 45-65psi wot. Idling should be 35-45psi with the vac line connected. 45-65 vac line disconnected. I don't believe you have a FPR problem!

As James said, I too don't think you have a FPR problem; it just doesn't add up since you claim to have made 190 plus HP at the wheels.

Further, a while back you posted about using 24 pound injectors. I and every one I know runs 19 pound injectors in the SOHC motor. The larger injectors could be causing your issues???????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would agree with that Al, if it were an old EECIV PCM. The newer PCM's can adjust slightly for injector sizes, yes I agree that it will run differently. I don't know all of the symptoms or testing so far, so I'm not going to guess.

I have not seen one SOHC at the two inexpensive yards I go to occasionally. I need an odd screw or two from them. They are still not common here in reasonable yards. Thus I would not look hard in junk yards. Does no one else sell just the regulator for a SOHC?

BTW, I called an OReilly's here. They list a part by Borg Warner #21861 for about $106. They don't list a PFR for a 99 SOHC. Call around and see if you can find that it town. Below is a link to an old thread about a 91-94 Explorer, they evidently use the same regulator.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=75360&postcount=21
Good luck,

The 98 and older fuel injection is 38-44psi or so, none higher. The 99+ systems run the 62psi, apples and oranges.

This statement is incorrect and correct. The Ford manual states 35-45 with the vac hose connected and 45-65 disconnected such as all return style since '86. His falls right in spec. I dont believe this is his problem.

Yes, I have been told that the 98 sohc should have the fuel pressure regulated at 45psi.

The '99 + returnless system operates at much higher pressures in the 60psi range i'm told.

I am surprised you say that about the above part james, but it does make some sense. What does not make sense is that every parts retailer from Autozone, to Rock Auto, to Advanced auto parts all specify the style I have above for the 4.0 sohc motor. There is never any mention of two different styles for the Explorer.

How do you explain that? The autoparts retailers would have tons of returns and unhappy customers if that were the case.

I will know soon enough though. After two years of experiencing this problem I am convinced it is the FPR, the symptoms add up and are consistent with way to much fuel flow.

I have encountered this problem with parts and the 4.0L so many times it isn't even funny. They input the parts in thinking minor parts such as fpr's are the same. I assure you that is a 4.0L ohv regulator..I have one at my shop I have replaced, really didn't need it but I replaced it at the request of the customer. It didn't fix his problem. So.. I replaced a part not needing replacement but he believed it did. I showed him the diagnostics proving the fuel pressure is correct and he still was convinced it was his problem. He brought the truck to me telling me what was wrong. I diagnosed his problem to a bad relay and charged him 1.5 hour diagnostic/repair and parts(fpr and relay)

BTW, I called an OReilly's here. They list a part by Borg Warner #21861 for about $106. They don't list a PFR for a 99 SOHC. Call around and see if you can find that it town. Below is a link to an old thread about a 91-94 Explorer, they evidently use the same regulator.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=75360&postcount=21
Good luck,

They don't list a pressure reg for the '99 because is integrated into the pump/basket assembly. What is on the rail for the '99 and newer is a fuel pressure damper. It has a vac line and only 1 inlet,reducing fuel line shock. I also have one of these at the shop as well.

Man $399 for a damn regulator integrated into the rails how stupid, sometimes FORD really sucks.

Anyone know if they make an aftermarket regulator for the sohc? Maybe I could get it at a junkyard.

I don't think it is fair to say Ford sucks for the price of a regulator. Not really that bad for a part that doesn't go bad hardly ever. I have never even heard of anyone having problems with the regs on a return style soch I work on all types of vehicles and each manufacturer has thier sh***y ways of making money on parts. You think this is expensive go buy a Honda,Toyota or god forbid a Nissan. You will think $300.00 is a bargain. And don't tell me they don't break down because I do head jobs and repairs on these manufacturers as common as any domestic out there. As a matter of fact I have seen a trend within the last few years of domestics easily matching or showing higher mileage as thier import rivals.

As James said, I too don't think you have a FPR problem; it just doesn't add up since you claim to have made 190 plus HP at the wheels.

Further, a while back you posted about using 24 pound injectors. I and every one I know runs 19 pound injectors in the SOHC motor. The larger injectors could be causing your issues???????

I agree 100% Al! Lazz, with proper tuning you can run 24# injectors but if your tuner has your vehicle tuned for 19#ers and you have 24#ers in it there is your whole problem. This has never been disclosed to me while previously trying to help diagnose your problem. You stated the same injectors were installed as the stockers. Some Sport Tracs used 24's stock but I have never run across one yet. . As a matter of fact this is an extremely important factor in your problems. Not even to mention that if your injector values are off(thinking you have a certain size injector when you don't) your load will be skewed and spark and fueling will be bad off. When you contacted me months back I mentioned your vehicle had 19's in it and quoted you on new injectors which would have been correct in size. But you bought the injectors from someone who rebuilt injectors. I believe that you have been throwing parts into it hoping you will stumble onto the problem instead of diagnosing the problem correctly costing you more money in the long run. Sometimes cheaper isn't necessarily better and I blame the mechanic for not diagnosing the problem to begin with. The vehicle could potentially be tuned with the 24#ers in it and 19# injectors in the tuning but you will never get ahold of the fueling causing rich conditions (bogs).

Yap - I agree with James on this totally.

Now, I have heard of the 24LBS vs. 19 LBS mystery before.

From my take on the matter; A 19 lb injector was used up until 2001 (Middle of the year somewhere, cuss I have a 01 and it has 19LB'rs) and from then on they were 24 LBS. Also, I've heard that when running the 19's, the fuel pressure is actually higher (In the tuning) and when running the 24's the pressure is lower. Now I'm not sure I buy into this yet but I have heard of two people thinking this way.

I do know that if you were sold injectors, that are different in size vs. the ones you had originally, and no tuning to compensate, then you have ONE problem staring you in the face.

I would strongly consider calling James up and describing all your problems. You will come out cheaper from this point forward from having ONE and ONLY ONE PERSON that you turn to to help you fix these problems. You are being steering by too many people, and I know the feeling!!!!!!

Well stated James. I have been trying to help Lazz for a long time; maybe he will listen now.

Everyone wants his problems resolved.

From what I understand the Explorers and Explorer sports never have gotten 24# injectors. Only the Sport Tracs and they were limited models. My mom has a 2003 Sport Trac. I pulled here computer code and the injector values in the SCT custom tuning software was the same as mine 19#injectors. Send me boxcodes and I will look at them in the tuning software but I believe only a small amount of people will have 24#ers if any. I will contact SCT on this as now I am really interested to know. Will get back on this.

I was told the injectors were 24lbs by the man who rebuilt them, Fredness. I don't know what lb they are, all I know is they are the exact same ones that the truck came with stock.

Al, I might have made some decent numbers, all that means it that the FPR is not totaly failing, there are degrees to which parts are damaged.

James is right, the sohc FPR is part of the fuel rail, it bolts to the front of either side and has the two braided fuel lines & a bracket connected to it. I have been in contact with several national used parts dealers and am moving forward.

I do believe it is the FPR, as I said James it was at 50+ and climbing when my engine rpm was at 2600rpm. I could not get the tires to hold any more past that with my foot on the brake and gas. Yes that is with the vac tube connected, god only knows what the pressure is at WOT and above 3000rpm. The pump you sold me can dish out 190lph.

You tell me, super bad bog and no engine codes. Fuel problems don't throw codes like sensor issues.

Against my better judgement I will keep all posted, because I know some of you really are interested in helping. As for the Wisecrackers who lurk like vultures- Eat this :fart:

Al, I might have made some decent numbers, all that means it that the FPR is not totaly failing, there are degrees to which parts are damaged.

Lazz, when are you goning to post the dyno? It will be interesting to see the curves.

I'd like to know how this turns out also. The highest the pressure should hit with the vacuum line off should be in the mid 40's in psi, never 50-60psi. Every return type fuel system I've checked when right has run just over 32psi at idle, and rarely 43+ psi with the vacuum line off.

When I checked the fuel pressure the numbers seemed strange to me.

At idle with the vac hose connected it was at 38psi. When I raised the rpms a bit the psi dropped down to 36psi.

Putting the engine under load with foot on brake and accelerator sent the gauge rising higher as the rpm's increased. As I stated I could only achieve about 2600rpms before the brakes gave out and the gauge was at 50+ psi and climbing.

Thing that confuses me is that fuel pressure should be constant, it should not jump around like that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back