• Register Today It's free!

wtf!! 91 ranger

Elephant_Berls

Reaction score
City, State
s town Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer XLT4.0 ohv :(
I have a 91 ranger and as of late its been running slugish also has black smoke in the exhaust but this isnt my major concern. For some reason the engine will kill at random but usualy starts back up (ie going down the road check engine light flashes truck looses power then goes out of it and runs normal) its a manual so i assume it starts back up due to the momentum. I also noticed it happens when i go over bumps. Last night i went across a wooden bridge and the truck bucked and kicked and killed towards the end of the bridge. It usualy does it when i go over bumps but also at random on the highway also. I have no idea if this is connected to the other problems are not. I had autozone check the codes a few weeks ago (before it started killing) and some codes came up as egr valve and then some coils.
codes
any sugestions?

btw its a 2.3 with 200k miles. Im considering putting it in the shop but i really dont want to due to the repairs costing more than the truck is worth most likely

Black smoke = rich fuel mixture. Sounds like you need a new fuel pressure regulator.

would that also cause it to kill when going over bumps. Im thinking of putting it in the shop tommrow but the truck isnt really worth it. btw where is the fuel presure regulater located?

Back