X Charger Install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

X Charger Install

It's a mustang but the X Charger kit started off for the explorers (4.0 SOHC).

I'm doing this install for a buddy of mine out of good faith.

Here we go....

The parts...

IMG_20110420_191753.jpg

IMG_20110420_191821.jpg

IMG_20110420_191844.jpg

IMG_20110420_204056.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And the before...

IMG_20110422_124232.jpg

Some Progress...

IMG_20110422_152105.jpg

IMG_20110422_152052.jpg

IMG_20110422_171133.jpg

IMG_20110422_171157.jpg

What year mustang? Looks like it'll be a fun ride once it's finished!

Nearing the end...

IMG_20110424_132311.jpg

would this work for a OHV? cause that looks really nice!

No, sorry...it won't.

That looks like a fun little project Jake. :thumbsup:

Yes sir, it was. I'm done now. Took it for test drive and wow - love the feel of the instant power.

Any quirks with the install or fitment?

~Mark

Ok so im a little confused with this mutang 4.0 and explorer 4.0 situation. Is the mustang 4.0 the same as an explorer 4.0? if so can i order parts for a mustang but install them on my explorer? I have a 1998 ex with a 4.0 sohc. Can i swap mustang parts into my explorer? Are there any other ford cars that share the same engine that i can swap parts with? Sorry if these are stupid questions, im just looking for some answers cuz i really want to do some major modding but want to do my research before i drop thousands into new parts.

Its the same motor, but thats where the similarities end. Most mustang parts will fit the engine, but not under the hood of an X. All the accessories and stuff are different. I think.

That's a sick set up. Now to convince my buddy to do this to his 06. What is the HP output for the x charger kit? I see the intercooled vortech kit "claims" 330hp at the crank at only 8psi. That is a 110hp increase.

The install went well. The fitment was perfect, no issues.

IMG_20110427_104054.jpg

I have seen alot of the x charged mustangs on the mustang collective. I am a member on that site. I used to have a 2006 v6 mustang. I had a procharger installed on it. 10psi=315RWHP 310torque.

Welcome! Yes, I know the mustang collective pretty well. You'll see some post from me their.

I don't see a burnout pic/vid so I call BS on the power increase.....

JK:D Looks great and I bet he's really enjoying the newfound power increase!!! Gas mileage will take a big dive for a short while until he manages to keep he foot out of it!

There is absolutely no traction once the TCS is turned off. He's still on vacation and I promised him I would let him be the first to spin the tires... (Shhhhh)

He needs alot of other upgrades now, like brakes and rear-end.

Jakee,
A couple things to let your friend know as we just did some upgrades on our 2006 v6 mustang earlier this week.

If he is going for an 8.8 off a mustang GT from newtakeoff.com, tell him to do it now. They are almost out of axles. We just got a GT 8.8 with 3.55 and LS from them and when I called, the saleman was worried until I told him we wanted 3.55 as they are out of some gear ratios all ready.

Also, for a front brake upgrade, Grab a set of Rotors and the caliper mounts from a 2005-2009 mustang GT and he will then have 12.4" rotors instead of the 11.5". The calipers are the same...

We managed to find a great deal on a set of saleen (racecraft n2) struts/srpings/shocks and it made a world of different in handling. I can't say for sure its all the new suspension, or of the new camber settings (1.5") or just a combo of both, but boy does our mustang corner better now.

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Appreciate the info!

Back