• Register Today It's free!

x-spec suspension

raginraj

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS 4x4 (4.0L OHV)
I'm looking for a subtle and pratical suspension for my X and the X-spec package from Explorer Express seems to fit the bill pretty well. I've gone through the Autoweek article and several threads and it looks like it has the handling characteristics I want plus it includes a nice subtle 1 3/8" drop.

I was just wondering if anyone has had the complete x-spec package installed on the X and what they think. Also, I'm ok under the hood but I don't have the tools or resources to do a suspension swap, so how much did you pay to have it installed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know aldive had it on his X, but eventually took it off becasue he said the ride was terrible. I'm not sure what experience others have had with it.

I've also heard that others have loved it. Can't remember who, though.

I had the whole 9 yards, The key word here is HAD.

At first I loved it, Then as I put more miles on it, the ride was simply unacceptable; every little bump was a paon in the arse, literaly.

I removed the Edelbrock shocks and replaced them with Rancho 9000x' a vast improvement, but the truck still bottomed our on every bump and was awefull with more than just the driver.

I removed the rear blocks and raised the front to stock height. No more rough ride, no more bottoming out.

The real suprise was the handeling appeared to be the same as with the slight drop.

The X Spec rear sway bar is the key part.

aldive said:
I had the whole 9 yards, The key word here is HAD.

At first I loved it, Then as I put more miles on it, the ride was simply unacceptable; every little bump was a paon in the arse, literaly.

I removed the Edelbrock shocks and replaced them with Rancho 9000x' a vast improvement, but the truck still bottomed our on every bump and was awefull with more than just the driver.

I removed the rear blocks and raised the front to stock height. No more rough ride, no more bottoming out.

The real suprise was the handeling appeared to be the same as with the slight drop.

The X Spec rear sway bar is the key part.

This is interesting. I have heard all good things about this package. I just sent cash for Edelbrocks to a member on this site as I piece together this system. Hmmm. Aldive, were you running proper bumpstops?

I just installed the whole thing too. I also got new tires and wheels. Haven't had a chance to test it out yet, but it looks allot better.

ton_e_montana said:
This is interesting. I have heard all good things about this package. I just sent cash for Edelbrocks to a member on this site as I piece together this system. Hmmm. Aldive, were you running proper bumpstops?

I first used the stock stops, then the ones from EE and then completly removed them. Still bottomed out bad.

BBQ_HotDogs said:
I just installed the whole thing too. I also got new tires and wheels. Haven't had a chance to test it out yet, but it looks allot better.

I was never able to tell much difference in my "lowered" truck and a stock height truck.

aldive said:
I first used the stock stops, then the ones from EE and then completly removed them. Still bottomed out bad.

Well then aldive's luck with this is the system causes your truck to bottom out bad. Anyone else support this claim? The write-ups seem to be pretty good. I would think maybe a 4-door compared to a 2-door sport might have different results. I'd like to know if hotdog's is the same.

ton_e_montana said:
Well then aldive's luck with this is the system causes your truck to bottom out bad. Anyone else support this claim? The write-ups seem to be pretty good. I would think maybe a 4-door compared to a 2-door sport might have different results. I'd like to know if hotdog's is the same.
Will let you know very soon. Will take a 500 mile trip soon and that should tell me plenty about the suspension.

My buddy owns a blazer and lowered it for about 2 weeks. After 2 weeks of bottoming out and wearing out his new bump stops you know what he did? Made 10' shackles and got some really long torqtion bar bolts and now he wants 31's. Really having his truck lowered didnt do much for his ride (Made you cringe when you saw a dip in the road) but it made going back up so nice. This was a blazer thou so i done know the experiance for a explorer. I wouldnt ever lower my trucks thou

My .02cents

BBQ_HotDogs said:
Will let you know very soon. Will take a 500 mile trip soon and that should tell me plenty about the suspension.

Ronnie, with all the extra weight in your truck, you may find it bottoming out with just you in it.

Anxious to hear your feelings.

I have the following:
2.25 drop in the front
2 drop in the rear
EE sway bars
Edelbrock IAS shocks on all 4 corners
1/3 off my bumpstops
Got the camber kit with the alignment

It now corners better than more than half the cars out there.
It looks much better for street use. And I COULD TELL that it IS lowered.
Frequent trip to Home Depot loaded with bricks, cinder blocks, cements, and I DO NOT bottom out.
Harsher ride? Yes, compared to stock. That is to be expected.

Is it all worth it? OH, HELL YEA!

Back