Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

XLT vs Limited vs sport

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by volcano375, April 6, 2013.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Odrapnew

Odrapnew Active Member

City, State:
      MN
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2014 Explorer Sport
      Sure it can. Now the choice for me would be Sport or Platinum. I'd probably still stick with the Sport.

The Pilot and Traverse were no where near the performance of the Sport when I got mine, so yes, the 3.5L Ecoboost was the selling point for me.

EDIT: Also, just because the new Pilot and Traverse are closer in 0-60 times doesn't mean that they are good engines. I'm sure the Honda runs like a typical Honda(smooth, quiet...etc) The Ecoboost is nice in that you can roll into the throttle and let the torque do the accelerating(without downshifting).

Last edited: January 11, 2018
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      I should have added "in choosing the Sport".:(

4. Odrapnew

Odrapnew Active Member

City, State:
      MN
      2014 Explorer Sport
      :thumbsup:

5. Vink70

Vink70 New Member

City, State:
      Sterling, IL
      2016 Explorer Sport
      Purely cosmetic. The fancy sport wheels, with the body color, and non chrome trim, black grill, smoked tail lights, red stitched seats, and silver trim inside. Didn't care about the motor. 100% ascetics.

6. Sixonemale

Sixonemale Active Member

2015 XLT Appearance Pkg
      Generally my same reasoning for purchasing the XLT Appearance Package, not a fan of chrome, reminds me too much of a soccer mom’s vehicle. In addition to not liking chrome, I’ve owned a Ford 2.3L turbo in the past and it was disaster to work on and the turbo went out like clockwork every 50,000 miles. I know the turbos have improved a lot since I owned mine and I wish all owners of the EB engines the best, but too many extra components for me. If I want power I’ll buy a car/truck with an engine that has greater displacement.

Last edited: January 13, 2018
    7. Halwg

Halwg Active Member

City, State:
      WV
      2016 Explorer Base 2.3L E
      The XLT is easily the sweet spot in the Explorer line-up. It has basically the options everyone wants, and is not out of most folks price range. I'm a person who does not want all of the artificial driving aids, and paying for them in higher priced models. Actually the base I have now is perfect in that regard, and if you could get a couple more options, like remote start and hand-free liftgate, it would be my first choice. If I buy or lease after retirement, I'll be looking at the XLT.

The Sport shouldn't even be considered an Explorer because it's a different class of vehicle, set up for performance. Should be more fully differentiated from the actual Explorers. Ford should go back to the XLS, XLT and Limited. The Platinum should be a Lincoln, and the Sport should be in the Performance Division.

If I ran Ford, there would be many changes! ;)

8. Mlim_556

Mlim_556 New Member

City, State:
      Northern MA
      2017 Ford Explorer Sport
      Sport for the performance. Runner up was a 4runner limited. Ended up choosing performance over off road ;)

9. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      I got the Platinum for the performance and all the "artificial driving aids". Don't use then all but love that cluster.:)

Peter