yakima hitch rack 2" to my factory 1-1/4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

yakima hitch rack 2" to my factory 1-1/4

I just bought a used Yakima hitch rack for my 2003 explorer. I have the factory bumper 1-1/4 hitch receiver.
I just installed it on the truck using a Hitch Adapter 1-1/4" to 2" Trailer Hitch Receiver.The problem is that the rack sticks far out now.

Any economical solutions other then buying the $180 2" hitch that installs under the factory 1-1/4? I could do this however it then doubles the price I paid for this top of the line used rack (yakima Swing Daddy)

I was thinking of drilling an additional hole in the adaptor so that I could slip it into the factory receiver further?

Thanks

Buy a junkyard 2" receiver (rear bumper reinforcement) for $110.

You can get converter / adapters from Wal-mart for $26, but I'd rather get 2" receiver for $110 than a cheesy converter.

If you go with the additional hole leave some room where you can open the glass hatch without having to tilt the bikes. I have the an Allen deluxe 4bike and the arm hits the hatch its a pain.

Take your hitch adapter to a fab shop and pay them a couple $$ to have them shorten it.

Back