Yellow headlights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yellow headlights

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought inexpensive replacements. Cleaning them can be a real chore and those kits are not cheap.

YC1 is right, you don't clean them you replace them.

You can get rid of the yellowing actually.

To get rid of the yellowing on my headlights, I wet sanded the lenses starting with 600 grit sandpaper, then went to 1000, then finally went to 2000 grit. Making sure to only sand in straight lines, NOT circles. After that I cleaned them with soapy water and then rubbing alcohol. Then I coated them with clear gloss spray paint that is UV resistant. And finally polished them with regular car wax. No more yellow headlights now:thumbsup:

If they are really bad, it is good to replace them. If not, I would wetsand them, polish and apply some sort of clearcoat.

I used mineral spirits and 00 steel wool to start, then 2000 wet with water and polished with caranuba wax.

A co-worker of mine has a 2000 Dodge Ram that had some seriously dull and yellow headlights. He used some headlight restoration kit he bought from Wallymart. I was shocked how well that kit worked. They were clear and smooth. :thumbsup:

Try the cleaning, but replacement works for sure.

I used mineral spirits and 00 steel wool to start, then 2000 wet with water and polished with caranuba wax.
Instead of wax use a sealant, it will last alot longer.

Back