Yellowford's 96 Ranger of breakage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yellowford's 96 Ranger of breakage

yellowford

Reaction score
City, State
Gardner ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xj
Figured its about time I make a registry for my ranger considering I've had it over 6 months now.

Bought this truck after driving/wheeling my 1st gen Explorer for a little while, it did amazing on the trails but was lacking in the comfort department and had quite a few problems but for the $500 I paid for it wasn't bad.

Picked up the Ranger for $1500 which seemed like an awesome deal at the time with all the stuff that was done to it.

Here is what it looked like when it made the trip back to my house.
IMG001.jpg

yes it had an ugly roll bar and horrible steps, those are both long gone.

Now to the modifications that was done to the truck when I got it.
5.5in super lift
3in body lift
cowl induction hood
4.88:1 gears
35in mud kings
American racing wheels
BBK throttle body
BBK headers
cold air intake
warn lock outs

Of course I had to add in a new stereo and have made some other modifications to it that will get updated at a later date

So I had a pretty good starting point to go from which I thought would be a reliable truck once I fixed a few things well that turned into a ton of things including a transmission

Had it driveable for about a month when the automatic took a dump and gave up its guts driving down the highway, so my old first gen came to the rescue and gave up its manual trans.

Here is what the truck currently looks like
SANY0760.jpg

excuse my roomates dodge in the background
SANY0762.jpg

SANY0761.jpg

I started adding up all the receipts I have from this thing and it was kind of scary within the last 6 months there's about $1500 in parts and that isn't even everything left to fix.
List of repairs:
A/C compressor
Sachs clutch set
Sachs Flywheel
Clutch master cylinder
Slave cylinder
Starter
Battery
Rear shocks
a/c drier
u-joints rear driveshaft
upper ball joints
lower ball joints
outer tie rods
inner tie rods
tie rod adjusting sleeve
speedometer gear
wheel bearing
Header gasket
fuel filter
oxygen sensor
wiper blade
axleshaft u-joints
used transfer case

Not to mention 2 pairs of wranglers from getting into the truck, on the plus side my girlfriend is short so I get to always help her get into the truck.

The explorer that gave up its transmission for the ranger
Image003-1.jpg

Image005.jpg

And the demise of it right before I came back to school
298495_2176959181999_1187430038_32481213_921519_n.jpg

The sole reason the Explorer even had its death
230037_1927998678142_1187430038_32205323_8034589_n.jpg

This is pretty much where I'm at currently with the truck at a crossroad trying to decide if I want to keep it and fix a few more things or move onto something else the header gasket has started leaking, my axleshaft u-joints are going bad have the spicer ones to go in, and it won't go into 4 low after the 5spd swap still need to figure out what wires to jump. Unfortuenetly with how much the truck kept breaking down this summer my wheeling adventures were completely zero which really sucks after normally trying to go once a month or so.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Heck, you have almost replaced everything on it, should be good to go for a while longer. :D

Which T-case did you use? E1354?

Header issues are common. Check out spdracer34 thread on the header hardware for ease of working on them.

Any RBV on 35" tires is impressive, keep it, and just keep plugging along. Won't matter what used rig you get, they all need work, ;)

With a 5-speed, you have to have it in neutral and have the clutch pushed in.
Just in case you didn't know...

Heck, you have almost replaced everything on it, should be good to go for a while longer. :D

Which T-case did you use? E1354?

Header issues are common. Check out spdracer34 thread on the header hardware for ease of working on them.

Any RBV on 35" tires is impressive, keep it, and just keep plugging along. Won't matter what used rig you get, they all need work, ;)

Yep the stock e1354 well actually a replacement the 1st died, I'll have to check out the header thread and learn some stuff.

With a 5-speed, you have to have it in neutral and have the clutch pushed in.
Just in case you didn't know...

Well that probably works in a stock 5-speed but I swapped mine in, don't have a clutch safety switch, and my neutral safety switch isn't hooked up either since I still have the auto wiring but swapped in the manual computer. So I was hoping there was a spot I could jump witch would make it think its in neutral to trick it for 4 low.

Had some time today after class and decided to get a couple things done that I've been putting off for awhile.
Finally got around to mounting up the cup holders I snagged at the junk yard months ago
cupholders.jpg

Also finally mounted my push button starter, finally not dangling next to the ebrake release
pushbuttonstarter.jpg

Tried to glue my rear view mirror back on but that didn't go over to well fell back off again, oh well just means the gps gets to hold my parking pass for longer.

Well what happens when a college kid has some free time, no tests this week and very little homework. He decides to build a tire carrier out of a bunch of free metal.
Its very basic, as right now it is just going to go into the hitch until I decide if I like it and want to mount it somewhere else. Not quite finished but the begging is there.
IMG225.jpg

IMG224.jpg

IMG226.jpg

Looks like I'm going to have to relocate my license plate over on the bumper, guess that means moving the stupid license plate lights too.

Found the picture when my auto went out, luckily I was something like 49.3 miles from home so it was under my 50 AAA tow.
04232011648.jpg

Has some time to work on the truck the other day, finally got around to replacing the o2 sensor I've had for a while. The truck runs awesome now, before it would drop the all the drivers side cylinders every once in awhile. Also had the fun of replacing the another set of wheel bearings, something it seems everyone running d35 ttb seems to get to do with big tires every couple of months, luckily the national bearings have a year warranty so they were replaced for free:D, if only the timken bearings I have on the passenger side had a year warranty.

Glad your working on this rig. Really hope to see you in May at the meet. :)

You might want to replace your spindle hardware, if your going thru that many bearings. How tight/loose are you going with the spindle nut?

Glad your working on this rig. Really hope to see you in May at the meet. :)

You might want to replace your spindle hardware, if your going thru that many bearings. How tight/loose are you going with the spindle nut?

The spindle hardware is fairly new, I tighten the inner nut to around 15ft/lbs then back off 1/4 turn, and torque the outer one to 150 ft/lbs. I'm wondering if there is a better method to do it. I think this time it was from my inner seal was bad and water got in there since the passengers side was fine.

Read thru this entire thread. It might help you out some.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199915&highlight=wheel&page=6

15 ft lbs is low, should be around 40-50 ft lbs per chiltons, but 35 ft lbs minimum, then back off a 1/4 turn then tighten 16 in. lbs or close to it after getting the key way back in.

You just want to get those bearings to "seat" with the 40-50 ft lbs first. If there not set right, you have slop in them, and cranking on that outer nut wont help tighten it any.

Been making a little progress with the Ranger lately, started getting the body lift off got as far as the bed
IMG251.jpg

IMG252.jpg

Also got some drop shackles to lift to go along with the Explorer springs I picked up to get rid of the double block in the back.
liftshackle.jpg

Hopefully the springs and shackles will be going on within the next couple weeks.

Man that black 3rd gen in the snow pics looks sweet:D

I didn't realize you switched up and it makes sense now why I haven't seen your Explorer around. I think I've seen your Ranger a few times though. If you ever need a hand, let me know.

Also, I know you said you don't like brush guards, but if you want to buy the one I have, it's yours. It goes to a 1st gen Nissan Exterra and you'll have to do some "modifying" to make it work.

..Me too...and how did I miss this thread for so long?..:dunno:

Back