Yellowing headlights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yellowing headlights

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mequiers makes similar stuff

-Drew

Whats the Meguires stuff?? I haven't seen it.

For $34.95 plus shipping that sounds like a great kit but expensive. I can buy a new headlight assembly for $52 is there a less expensive solution?

I never heard of waxing a plastic headlight. How will this take out the yellowing?

Any kind of cleaner wax should get rid of it. There is some stuff out there just for plastic headlights. And it does work. Here are a few links of stuff I found.
Cleaner #1
Mothers
3M

Dan

Thanks Hunter. That first stuff looks great, I am going to purchase it.

Mequires has a plastic polish for 5 bucks. I got it at advance auto parts. It worked great. You just have to polish them about 3 times or so.

I have carefully sanded the lenses with very fine sandpaper, then painted the lenses with clear paint. Works like a charm. Go very easy with the clear, if its too thick it wont look right. Two thin coats is what I'd recommend. This is a permanent fix, no need to re-polish.

Yes, plastix from Meg's should do the trick.

mountaineergree said:
I have carefully sanded the lenses with very fine sandpaper, then painted the lenses with clear paint. Works like a charm. Go very easy with the clear, if its too thick it wont look right. Two thin coats is what I'd recommend. This is a permanent fix, no need to re-polish.

I like your idea :thumbsup:

-Drew

Mine got nasty on the inside and I tried to buff it out with no luck so I got a pair of these from this place. They have gone up in price but are still around 50 bucks cheaper a piece than other places. They have been on for about 3 years and no problems except I broke one of the adjusters.

Headlights

That is a great idea Green, what grit sandpaper and brand clear did you use?

I have no experience at this.

I tried the 3M proffesional plastic cleaner and plastic polish and it did not work very good at gettin the yellow out. I polished the lens like 5 times.

Lazzman said:
That is a great idea Green, what grit sandpaper and brand clear did you use?

I have no experience at this.

I tried the 3M proffesional plastic cleaner and plastic polish and it did not work very good at gettin the yellow out. I polished the lens like 5 times.

I used very fine sandpaper like 2000 grit. You may even want to wet sand it. What happens is the outer layer deteriorates, causing the yellowing. All you want to do is remove a fine layer of plastic. Id take the headlight out to make certain you don't scratch your grille. Buy a high quality clear paint. The cheap crap will yellow back very quickly, where a good quality clear will hold up for quite some time.

PlastX from Meguiars cleaned up my 16 year old mustang headlights to look like new. They were very oxidized, hazy and yellow. Now they are clear. Unfortunately the plastic itself on my aftermarket clear corners for the Explorer is discolored, so it didn't help there.

Back