Yes another "towing w/ OD" question. Please look | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yes another "towing w/ OD" question. Please look

Thanks for looking, I hate these threads as much as you do!
Generally I always turn overdrive off when I tow, but I regeared and I'm running pretty high rpms. 4.88 gears with 33" tires.
In overdrive:
60mph = 2250 rpm
70mph = 2650 rpm
75mph = 2850 rpm
Overdrive off:
60mph = 3000 rpm
I'm planning on towing a 6x12 enclosed trailer up to Seattle (couple hundred miles on I-5, mostly flat. The trailer is roughly 2000lbs.
What do you all think about leaving it in overdrive and running 65ish?
If I run with overdrive off, it's 60 with the engine screaming (sort of).
I have a transmission temp gauge now (scangauge). Does it seem like using overdrive will be okay as long as the transmission isn't hunting and the temp isn't high? Or should I be worried about using overdrive at all, even if it doesn't work the truck hard?
Thanks for the insight!

You can leave the overdrive on unless you have shift hunting issues or need the engine braking.

Thanks Bob!
Automatic transmissions are still a mystery to me, and I had heard that overdrive is a weaker drive gear and will develop problems if used much at all while towing.
While I was leaning towards what you said, I still had to ask.
Thanks again :)

Ditto, the OD is a band of thin steel wrapped around a drum. It doesn't hold as well as other gear clutch packs. The load on the trans is what you worry about. Hauling up hill with a lot of throttle is hard on the trans. On flat roads with very little throttle, OD is not a problem. Try to avoid going over say 30% throttle while in OD, knowing that the trans would shift by itself at say 40%. Drive it by feel, if it seems free, not loaded hard, then let it stay in OD.

Good deal, we'll see how O/D feels, though I think it will be fine. I've contemplated picking up a manual trans for the sport trac but I wasn't really impressed with the mazda 5 speed anyway. Notchy shifting with a tall first gear, a weak clutch, and problematic hydraulics. Not to mention the extra slop in the shifter with the body lift extension.

Thanks again for the thoughts.

Back