yet another lift and tire question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

yet another lift and tire question

sport trac mike

Reaction score
City, State
new hyde park n.y.
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 xlt
hello all my name is Mike i'm a long time lurker and first time poster. i have an 07 sport trac 4x4 and i would like to lift it.i wold like to get 2-4" after all said and done. i searched and found that roadbull make one but i went to his site and he said he is no longer making them. are there any other alternatives out there that would give me a 2" lift? also what size tire and rims can i fit it after this lift 32" tire and what size rim? i would love to get the rockstar kmc but would they fit?

p.s. if there are no lifts available anymore what size tire and rim can i get. i need alot of meat on the tire when i air down for the beach. im pretty sure i have the stick 16" on my xlt.

if you guys would be kind enough to walk me through this whole thing that would be great. i under stand the this all can cause premature stress on ball joints and other components of my tuck and that this will also alter my geometry make it taller and more likely to tip. hope i've made it clear what i want. thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stock rims are 17".
I too wish I could raise mine a couple inches.

I list links all the time. Yours did not go to a product.

Since Road Bully is discontinued, I'd say the Truxx kit is your only option. The main issue on a late-model is the fact that the rear halfshafts run through a hole in the frame, which limits how much you can lift it no matter what you do, short of building a custom suspension with solid axles.
Maybe there is a body lift, I don't know for sure.
My neighbor has a late-model Explorer with 265/70-17's, stock height, stock wheels, and he says they don't rub. They fill up the fenders pretty well though.

Truxxx is the only lift I know of besides attempting a custom. People were having problem's with Roadbully, and Truxxx has a warranty. I've talked with Dave Turner of DTMS (DTMS Website) and they have an 07 ST with 35"s, and even he said they can't really get around the issues with the rear axles and chassis. He offered to sell the front fenders they use on their ST, which would give you more room and make rubbing less likely of a problem. He also offered axle kits that use 930 cv's and 4340 stub axles, to beef up the IRS, but he said they'd cost around $2500 for the pair.
I emailed Rancho not too long ago because apparently they have a "Quicklift" available for 06-09 Explorers, but no reply yet.

So, easiest option is just get Truxxx. You really won't be able to get 3"+ of suspension lift without having your CVs rub on the chassis (which is not a good idea at all).
I've always been tempted to try to develop a custom lift by using longer HD springs (and hopefully shocks if I could find some that would work); however, I don't really have the means or time, and Ford isn't willing to give out specs about stock shocks and springs.
Also, I know a guy put a Ranger bodylift on his 2007 Explorer (plus 2.5 spacers, very cool - 2007 Lifted Explorer), but that requires some messing about and semi-custom improvising. See the link for more info about that.

Finally, most people use about 32"s after Truxxx, I think some have done 33"s, but they will rub. And as long as those KMCs have negative offset, I think you should be fine, but try to go to a shop that will let you do a test fit of the wheels. And adapters are always an option if you really want a certain set of wheels.

so what your saying is that the truxx is the easiest lift possible to fit bigger tires and rims under, and that a lift kit is available and works on the 07 sport tracs. after all said and done with the lift and new 32" tires how much height do you think i would gain 2-4"

Correct, theoretically, by using 32" tires, you would gain 3.5" in the front and 3" in the rear. Truxxx is 2.5" in the front, plus 1" because your increasing your tire diameter by 2" over stock and Truxxx says the rear is something like 1.25" for the spacer, but you flip the strut around, so you'll end up with 2" of lift in the rear from Truxxx and another 1" from the increased tire diameter.

Send PMs to some of the guys who use Truxxx (search the forums for the many other threads) and ask them, if you get lucky they might have even posted before and after measurements on the thread.

Might I say I'm quiet envious of 16"s, but the main point is that 16" are stock on XLT and 17"s are included in XLT Appearance Package (yes, I'm reading out of my ST booklet, which I keep nearby at all times). And two versions of 18"s on limited, the silliest of all (18"s from chrome package), I have. I'd ditch my 18"s in a heartbeat for some black offroad 17"s, but I'm not sure I'm keeping my ST very much longer.

Back