• Register Today It's free!

Yet another starting issue

jmullan99

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Ford Explorer Sport Tr
I have searched, but do not think I've found the same scenario, so I am posting a new thread.

My 03 Sport Trac starts fine, but only for around 1 sec. The drops out almost stalls (elapsed time approx 1-1.5 seconds) then comes back fine. Mildly rough idle after. Once in a while, when it drops out it, it may stall completely.

Giving a bit of throttle can overcome the issue.

Giving a few on-off-on-off before cranking doesn't necessarily help. By that I mean I have tried it. Sometimes it seemed to help, other times not.

I did have the TB off to change the thermostat so gave it a decent but not total cleaning with TB cleaner. I know some throttle bodies don't like cleaners (or is that the IAC)? So maybe that has something to do with this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
John

Check engine light on? A common problem with the SOHC V6 is vacuum leaks, which can cause the problem your reporting, though by '03 Ford had improved the intake o-ring seals. Typically this causes more of problem during cold startup. I don't think cleaning the TB would cause this problem unless you soaked the TPS. If you haven't cleaned the IAC and MAF you can try that. Be sure to use special MAF cleaner on the MAF sensor. Was it doing this before you changed the t-stat?

Thanks for the reply. I did not see an email about a new posting.

There is no CEL. I did not soak the TB and I put in a new MAF. I did not notice the issue before changing the T-Stat. Although the shop I went to for changing spark plugs (its winter and one or two are a buggar to get at) said he "fixed" a couple vacuum leaks (for free). I don't know where he "fixed" them. I suppose I should look for that.

PS: I changed the famous elbow previously. Any other common vacuum issues?

Thanks for the reply. I did not see an email about a new posting.

There is no CEL. I did not soak the TB and I put in a new MAF. I did not notice the issue before changing the T-Stat. Although the shop I went to for changing spark plugs (its winter and one or two are a buggar to get at) said he "fixed" a couple vacuum leaks (for free). I don't know where he "fixed" them. I suppose I should look for that.

PS: I changed the famous elbow previously. Any other common vacuum issues?

Not really any other common spots. Just anywhere there's a vacuum hose. Including the power brake booster. Look in the area of where you were working to change the t-stat. I usually find the last thing I had my hands on is usually where I f'd up.

Back