Yet another T-Cases to mount to the V8 Thread | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yet another T-Cases to mount to the V8 Thread

EDIT 6/30/05: I have successfully installed a BW4406 from a Ford Expedition. Pictures of the install begin on page 8 of the thread.

Pages 1 - 7 are research for the swap.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK. I want to really nail this down. I would like to get 4low in my V8 Mountaineer, with 6bolt, 31spline 4R70W.

I DON'T NEED AN ATLAS!!

Since this is the same transmission pattern that is used in the fullsized trucks such as the Bronco and F150 a t-case should be able to be found that mates up. What t-cases were used?

The real problem will be fitting? I know the older F150s and Broncos used the BW1356, and the BW1345 in manual versions. Does anyone have the demensions? What about the newer 4406 T-case from the expedition?

As used behind the full size Bronco:
NP208, Part time, chain, 2.61:1, 80-86
BW1345, Part time, chain, 2.72:1, 80-88
BW1356, Part time, chain, 2.69:1, 87-96

As used behind the F150:
BW4406 (Electronic, Electronic w/control-trac clutch, Manual)
BW1356 (Electronic, Manual)
BW1345 (Manual)
NP208 (Manual)
NP205 (Manual)

What about other creative solutions?

I'm looking for cheap cost as well as simplicity. Wiring is no problem if the t-case is electric. Fabbing a shifter shouldn't be too hard. I don't want to go the route of putting in an expensive advanced adaptors conversion and using a 1354 or 4405 control trac. That's over 500 for the adapter, and at least 150 to get the tailshaft installed in the tranny. There has to be a better way!

I'm posting this for two reasons: 1) I realy want 4low. I don't need AWD. 2) My front driveshaft took a crap, transfer case is acting weird. Rather than replace, I'd like to replace that stupid CV joint and AWD t-case.

To make things more complicated, my 97 has the VSS in the t-case tailshaft ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

section525 said:
Problem is it's the hanger/bracket for the tank in the way and not the actual (beatable) gas tank. At least thats the problem I have right now with my setup.

That's for the overall length of the case/shift motor. Where I might also need the room is on the side of the tank, for the driveshaft u-joint - that's where Todd hit the dead-end.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Good news/bad news.

The 4406 case's control trac/torque on demand system works differently from the 4405 in the explorer. Unlinke the explorer which electronically locks the front clutch in 4wd, the 4406 mechanically locks the case together in 4hi and 4low. The control trac front clutch is only active when the shift motor has the case in 2hi.

This means: a wicked strong case!!! No 2wd low.

Also:

The wiring at the plug is identical between the expy and explorer. Even the shift motors are the same.

Progress.

Spent a lot of time lying under the truck, tape in hand, with the 4406 close by.

It looks like it will clear everything fine, if the shift motor is removed from the back. I'm about 1 - 1.5" short on clearance between the front gastank support, with the motor installed. The 4406 was offered as a manual shift, but they are rare and expensive. I also really want the TOD clutch.

Here's what I'm thinking:
1) Move the gas tank rearward.

2) See what mounts the 17.5gal sport tank has, and if it is adabtable. I wouldn't mind dropping down in gas capacity if it'll "bolt in." They are easy to come by for about $75 in local junkyards (I checked).

I need some advice on the gas tank swap/relocation.

I also discovered a severe binding on my driver's side front axle, either a busted CV or a problem in the diff housing, so that needs attention.

Fuel cell. :cool:

section525 said:
Fuel cell. :cool:

Thanks buddy :D

But seriously... I'm thinking that I might be able to move my tank rearwards. Or at least use a sport tank - they're wicked cheap, and mount in a similar fasion!

The sport tank should fit just fine. The rear mount should be common.

Ok... I have free time until Friday, access to another vehicle if I need to make a parts run, and that can only mean one thing: It's time to actually do the swap.

Right now I'm siphoning my gas tank dry, I unfortunatley started the project with over 10 gallons left in the tank. Looks like Dad's getting some free gas.

I've collected:
1) BW 4406 T-Case from a 1998 Expedition, w/shift motor, wiring harness, and VSS.
2) Expedition single cardan rear driveshaft & slip yoke
3) 1997 Explorer Sport 17 gallon gas tank, skid plate, & fuel pump/sender assembly.
4) 1997 Explorer 4x4 GEM module
5) 2nd Gen Explorer 4x4 wiring harnesses and misc relays

...and lots of tools :)

I'll be taking photos, don't worry.

My plan is as follows:
1) Drain gas tank and remove.
2) remove driveshafts
3) Remove t-case
4) dry-fit new t-case, trim as necessary.
5) Mount new t-case.
6) Mount sport gas tank (may require some bracket fabbing/moving)
7) Install rear driveshaft.
8) enjoy truck again.
9) Install wiring.
10) hunt for front driveshaft.

Of course, it won't really be that easy.

sure it is!

Lunch break update:

Gas tank and skid plate are removed. The 4dr and 2dr tanks are 100% identical in the rear. Even the sport skidplate will bolt up to the existing skidplate holes in my frame. The forward gas tank support has also been removed, and the frame section does not change enough, so I'll be able to slide the support rearward, drill new holes, and be done.

I'm now going to remove the AWD t-case.

Photos will be posted tonight.

Ok.. maybe it's late in the 90 degree humid day, but I'm having a @#$%ing time getting the new, heavy 4406 to sit right on my trans jack. What do you suggest to get this beast sitting at close to the proper angle? Aka... if you've installed a t-case before, how'd you get it up there??

I've always just got it on the shaft enough to support most the weight.. then rotate it till the guides go in. It might be easier with two people instead of a tranny jack. Unless you don't have a second person and the 4406 is a lot heavier than the 1354/4405s. :D

I have alwasy used a floor jack (don't own a tranny jack) and did like section said. There has always been two of us doing it though and the older ranger t-cases are a lot lighter.

section525 said:
... and the 4406 is a lot heavier than the 1354/4405s. :D

It certainly feels at least 25% heavier than the 4404!!

But I'll grab my Dad tomorrow morning to help out.

Day 1 Pics

Long awaited pics:

Gas Tank removed, comparison to Junk Yard sport tank:
13422Transfer_Case_Swap_-_11.jpg

The sport tank is on the right.

13422Transfer_Case_Swap_-_12.jpg

As I thought, they're identical in the rear! The sport tank is just shorter.

Forward gas tank support, it simply bolts to the frame:
13422Transfer_Case_Swap_-_14.jpg

13422Transfer_Case_Swap_-_17.jpg

Long frame! The cross section doesn't change that much, so I should be able to drill and rebolt the front mount.
13422Transfer_Case_Swap_-_09.jpg

The hole in the floor under the console proves its usefullness once again: for access to the 2 upper t-case bolts.
13422Transfer_Case_Swap_-_18.jpg

Pile o' cases:
13422Transfer_Case_Swap_-_05.jpg

The closest one with the d-shaft still attached is the old AWD 4404, the shiney one is a 4405 from a 2000 V6 explorer, and the one in the rear is the new 4406.

13422Transfer_Case_Swap_-_04.jpg

This beast is HUGE!
13422Transfer_Case_Swap_-_03.jpg

13422Transfer_Case_Swap_-_02.jpg

T-case removed, transmission output shaft and tailshaft housing:
13422Transfer_Case_Swap_-_08.jpg

I removed the secondary cats, as well as the driver's side downpipe for easier access to that 6th t-case bolt.

It seems like it will clear the frame fine, but a Body Lift and removal of the secondary cats might be in my future.

When I trial fit the 4406 in my Ranger, I had to call a buddy over to wrestle the beast into place. It is MUCH heavier than the 4404 and 4405. I think the problem with raising flat and getting onto spline, then rotating down is it will probably not fit flat - probalby hit the frame rails. When I had it in place and bolted to the trans, I have less than a 1/2" clearance to the frame on the driver side. It is was rotated flat or horizontal, it would have been in the frame by ~1".

Good luck, seems line a fine project!

tmsoko said:
When I trial fit the 4406 in my Ranger, I had to call a buddy over to wrestle the beast into place. It is MUCH heavier than the 4404 and 4405. I think the problem with raising flat and getting onto spline, then rotating down is it will probably not fit flat - probalby hit the frame rails. When I had it in place and bolted to the trans, I have less than a 1/2" clearance to the frame on the driver side. It is was rotated flat or horizontal, it would have been in the frame by ~1".

Good luck, seems line a fine project!

Thanks... Your test fit and photos helped me out immensly.

Also, question for everyone: how much play should the trans output shaft have? Mine kind of wiggles...

It's in!!!

:bounce:

Got the t-case sitting on the transmission jack. I used a few 2x4s placed under the rangebox to get the clocking angle pretty close. My dad helped steady the case on the jack as it was being raised and wiggled.

We raised and lowered the case a few times to get everything right. Here is what I had to trim off the t-case:

Castings off the top:
13422Transfer_Case_Swap_-_21.jpg

It turns out my closest contact area was the body, right where the tunnel drops into the floor pan. I was able to avoid the BL, using my good friend the BFH. :hammer:

And oops... didn't get a photo of the small indent I made.

I also had to cut and trim the heatsheild for the cats:
13422Transfer_Case_Swap_-_22.jpg

Blue RTV to seal between the t-case and transmission tailhousing:
13422Transfer_Case_Swap_-_20.jpg

Then it went in super easy! Six bolts later:
13422Transfer_Case_Swap_-_23.jpg

Look at all that clearance to the frame!!
13422Transfer_Case_Swap_-_25.jpg

Navigator rear driveshaft fits perfect:
13422Transfer_Case_Swap_-_24.jpg

It looks like the front drivehsaft output will clear the torsion bar x-membher fine as well:
13422Transfer_Case_Swap_-_27.jpg

Now it's on to the gas tank....

Hmm.

Hurry up. I have a Mountaineer that needs 4lo. :D

Awesome!!!! :D :thumbsup:

Back